Marvel Movie News and Views!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby DaveC » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:38 am

Tonyblack wrote:Question.

Is The Hulk movie any good? :?

I've been sort of avoiding it for some reason. Which is odd because I've got loads of superhero DVDs.


Yeah! :D

It has more action than the 2003 one (which is also worth seeing but is separate and not in the same continuity, and also more psychological in tone) and it also has more references to the series from the 80s. Also lots of nods to Iron Man which a=came out the same year, with a cameo from RDJ at the end, and lots of Stark tech and Nick Fury mentions, also references to the Captain America Super Soldier serum :)

You should definitely see it before you see The Avengers (Assemble...) :geek:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:47 am

The funny thing is, I loved the 80s series. That end music practically had me in tears every time. :lol:

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28621
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:41 pm

DaveC wrote: (which is also worth seeing but is separate and not in the same continuity, and also more psychological in tone)


they never really say its not in the same continuity. it actually works quite well as a sequel AND a remake at the same time. so it depends on your preference for the Ang Lee movie. you can ignore it, or not, and the Incredible Hulk still works.

BTW, Stan lee has, i think, his best cameo in this :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
User avatar
raptornx01
Member
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am
Location: South florida, US

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby MongoGutman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:49 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
DaveC wrote: (which is also worth seeing but is separate and not in the same continuity, and also more psychological in tone)


they never really say its not in the same continuity. it actually works quite well as a sequel AND a remake at the same time. so it depends on your preference for the Ang Lee movie. you can ignore it, or not, and the Incredible Hulk still works.

BTW, Stan lee has, i think, his best cameo in this :lol:


I always thought of it as a straight sequel
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
User avatar
MongoGutman
Member
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:29 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Conforumist » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Question.

Is The Hulk movie any good? :?

I've been sort of avoiding it for some reason. Which is odd because I've got loads of superhero DVDs.


I thought both Hulk movies were very good.
The greatest things in life are not things.
User avatar
Conforumist
Member
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:08 pm

:oops: I didn't know there were two.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28621
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Catch-up » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Ugh, I hated the 2003 Hulk. My suggestion would be to pass on it. The second one was so much better!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6331
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby spideyGirl » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The funny thing is, I loved the 80s series. That end music practically had me in tears every time. :lol:



Same here Tony :cry: :cry:
User avatar
spideyGirl
Member
 
Posts: 3549
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Conforumist » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:57 am

I'd say judge for yourself Tony.
The greatest things in life are not things.
User avatar
Conforumist
Member
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Catch-up » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Conforumist wrote:I'd say judge for yourself Tony.


Good idea, shouldn't have told you to pass on it. Watch the 2003 one first though, save the best for last. :)
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6331
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Conforumist wrote:I'd say judge for yourself Tony.


Good idea, shouldn't have told you to pass on it. Watch the 2003 one first though, save the best for last. :)
:lol: It will be a case of, if I happen to find a copy at a car boot sale or in a charity shop, and if the price is right.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28621
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Conforumist » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:23 pm

You'll like the "look" of the '03 Hulk much better I think. The new one was too ripped. I think too many pooped on the '03 one for no reason.
The greatest things in life are not things.
User avatar
Conforumist
Member
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:52 pm

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 00304/1023

this man speaks the truth.

i still like the newer one better, but the older one is far too maligned to be fair.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
User avatar
raptornx01
Member
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am
Location: South florida, US

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks Raptor! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28621
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Marvel Movie News and Views!

Postby Catch-up » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Conforumist wrote:You'll like the "look" of the '03 Hulk much better I think. The new one was too ripped. I think too many pooped on the '03 one for no reason.


I watched it really expecting to love it. I just found it to be really tedious and not engaging at all. I'm happy to sacrifice special effects for a great story, but just didn't feel that's what happened. Plus, Eric Bana was just horrible. He didn't make you like the character at all.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6331
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Who's Wee Dug and 3 guests