I realized tonight.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

I realized tonight.

Postby Stoked » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:59 am

That I've read through a decent part of a Discworld novel nearly every night for around three years. Having read them on and off for a fair time before that.

I simply do not get bored of them and for the first time in my life, having been a heavy reader for all of it, I have books that look a bit manky.

Operating under the previous assumption that people just didn't look after books it pains me my The fifth elephant, Jingo, Pyramids and Thief of time copies are falling apart.

Especially The fifth elephant, which I must have read over a dozen times easily .

It really amazes me that even now, on the last read through that I noticed another bit of wit and pun that had been jammed in. Unnoticed in a double digits worth of previous readings.

Just wanted to say hello, and thanks for my favourite series of all time.
Their re-readability is remarkable.
Last edited by Stoked on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stoked

Re: I realized tonight.

Postby Willem » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 am

Welcome Stoked!

Couldn't agree with you more, I've read most DW books more than once (probably more than thrice) over the last 16 years and there's always something new to enjoy (or something old that I'd forgotten).

I've got friends that think it weird to read the same book more than once (although rewatching a movie's fine by them, of course :)) but I'd say you can enjoy it more the second time - in my case less focus on the main story since I already know it means I pick up little things I missed before.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby DaveC » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:25 am

Welcome to the site stoked! :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Dotsie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 am

I love my DW collection, all the wisdom a person could need is in there :D (wow that sounds almost religious).

Welcome to the site!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 am

Welcome from me too! :)

Terry's books NEED to be read more than once. The human brain simply can't take in all the genius in one go. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Hellooo and welcome Stoked. I've reread all the books so many times that I lost count of how many and still find stuff that I had missed, even more so since joining this forum. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby meerkat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:46 pm

WELCOME Stoked! I've read them over and again and I still laugh, cry and thump tables in disgust.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby author3 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Welcome Stoked.At the moment I am currently on my second read through of DW novels.Tonight I start Mort :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Welcome Stoked, if you get a Kindle or a Nook depending on what part of the Discworld you're from you will find the books therein don't fall apart. I have them in paper as well. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby spideyGirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi Stoked - welcome!

They are good aren't they :D
spideyGirl

Postby TimBou » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:04 am

They are addictive, I agree! And I have this obsessive desire to have the whole set on my bookshelves (still working on that).

Still haven't read them all but Small Gods I read about 6+ times to create an edited version for storytelling. I was still laughing and finding amazing things on the last read through. Extraordinary books!
TimBou

Postby meerkat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:41 am

I have them all excepting OMWF! I can't afford that! Sad but true! Even the mapps are a hoot, Timbou.
meerkat

Postby TimBou » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:33 am

meerkat wrote:I have them all excepting OMWF! I can't afford that! Sad but true! Even the mapps are a hoot, Timbou.

You had me searching and googling madly with that acronym! Once More* With Footnotes - I see what you mean, even the used editions go for a mint!

As for me, I'll continue accruing the Discworld novels in paperback a few at a time and build up from there... like you, I have budgetary constraints!
TimBou

Postby meerkat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 am

Good idea. My collection started off with being given a book 'cos they didn't like it. Oh yes, they are out there, those sad people! :D
meerkat

Return to Discworld novels