Small Gods Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Small Gods Discussion *Spoilers*

Postby raisindot » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm kind of surprised that, unlike the witches books, (as far as I know) it's never been adapted as a play. With imaginative backdrops and props, and perhaps puppetry (or ventriloquism), it could make for great, thought provoking theater. You get the broad comedy of the Brutha/Om relationship, the terror of Vorbis, and the great ending.

Or maybe is has been adapted?
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

The BBC Radio adaptation of the book was very good. :)

I do wish the silly Beeb would sell these adaptations on CD. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby TimBou » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:18 pm

As to how it was received - generally much amusement at the pinpoint nature of his satire, joy at the wonderful humour that is always lightening things up, and amazement at how he slips such profound and moving insights in in such a way that you don't even notice what he's doing. His humour when on the subject of religion is just brilliant, he's obviously had a religious upbringing inflicted on him somewhere along the line. I wonder if he had a particularly devout grandmother in his family? Organising the roster to stone the adulteresses... :-)

Our priest quoted Brutha's question to Om in the desert about needing to know what it is like to be human in her sermon the next day so there is no risk of my being summoned before the Quisition just yet...
TimBou

Postby TimBou » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The BBC Radio adaptation of the book was very good. :)

I do wish the silly Beeb would sell these adaptations on CD. :roll:

Yes I was trying to find that BBC production to help prepare for the storytelling as the bits I could find of it on YouTube were much closer to a storytelling mode than the standard book reading available on ITunes. But as you say, no luck!

I did find that there was an amateur production done of Small Gods last year in a country far far away from the Last Continent where I live: http://www.durham21.co.uk/2011/02/ooook ... pratchett/. I guess they did the script themselves. The radio controlled stuffed tortoise sounds interesting...
TimBou

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Sounds like you all had a marvellous time and it was a great success. :D

Congratulations - let's hope you've made a lot of converts. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby JamesB » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:21 am

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

'Small Gods' was my first Discworld book and first experience with Sir Terry Pratchett. I have seen people recommend different orders of reading to familiarize with the Discworld setting, but chance and dumb luck threw 'Small Gods' at me first. I have read almost every book authored or co-authored by Sir Pratchett now, and I have to say that 'Small Gods' is still my favorite. It is actually my favorite book from any author. It moved, reshaped and changed the way I look at the world in a way that no other book has come close to, and I'm no stranger to books. I ended up creating an indie band under the band name smalltortoise and I develop amateur indie games under the developer name smalltortoise games. When I say amateur, I am not just being humble. Not even Brutha could help me out there, but it's OK because it's fun.

There's a lot of things I do these days that some would have you believe should only be left to the pros. I've gotten into tinkering with DIY projects, electronics, programming, painting, poetry, other arts, and even tried my hand at being a stuntperson in an indie movie for a short film competition (entirely on a whim). I've been more outgoing over time, traveled the world more in the past years than in my whole life, met new people, and generally tried new things more than ever before. Largely, I've enjoyed celebrating other cultures and others' passions in religious and spiritual views even if I do not adopt them myself.

And I owe quite a bit of my new adventurous spirit to 'Small Gods.'

In reading and rereading the book, I introspected what each character and event reflected about myself. What I took away from the book was life-changing for me. I know that the bulk of the book has major religious tones, but that's not all I took from it. Religion's everywhere, so there were definitely great things to think about interpersonal intelligence related to religion and spirituality, and I enjoyed the references to various iterations of religion throughout history. However, I also took a lot from the book about living life more fully, when to put the garden tools down and go "carpe diem," the power of determination, the responsibilities associated with shared confidence, and compassion for others (even the intolerant and hateful).

Sir Pratchett opened me up to an entirely new world full of positive experiences with 'Small Gods.'
JamesB

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:19 am

Welcome to the site, James! Small Gods is still my favourite as well. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Mine too - quite passionate about that in fact! :D

Welcome to the site James - enjoy posting all over ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. Small Gods is near the top for me as well. Not one I'd recommend someone to start with as it is quite different in style and tone to the other books written around the same time but definitely a great read.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Previous

Return to Discworld novels