Roundworld names that should be discworld names

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Roundworld names that should be discworld names

Postby meerkat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Not a person but a wonderful name for someone in A-M! :D

Furfuryl Furfurate

A ridiculously-named molecule, about which I know virtually nothing, although I'm told it's quite smelly and may be used as a vapour phase polymerisation inhibitor. It got its name from the Latin "furfur", meaning "bran" (the source of the compound). A related molecule, furfural alcohol is apparently used in the fabrication process of the Reinforced Carbon-Carbon (RCC) sections used in the space shuttle.

Sourced from : http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecules/sillymols.htm
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Dotsie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 pm

My favourite fungus is Malassezia furfur :D Now that would make a cool name.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:A couple of names where I work.

Clever Banda
Sunday Pam

Dunno what DW type they would fit but I like them alot.

Sunday Pam sounds promising - maybe she is called that because it is the only day of the week she is sober?
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby jgharston » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Fortune Clutterbuck wrote:I once knew a woman called "Odecia Pilgrim" which would make a lovely name for a discworld character.
Also the president of NIgeria "Goodluck Johnson" sounds like he ought to be a relative of a certain discworld architect

He's actually called Goodluck Jonathan, as I keep getting reminded myself.

Jonathan
jgharston

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:42 pm

I stand corrected !
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby =Tamar » Thu May 24, 2012 3:09 am

Tonyblack wrote:Going back to Praise-God Barebone - we found this reference to him. Reading the early paragraphs, he sounds very much like a Discworld character who was selected to take over from Vetinary in The Truth. :lol:

At the age of 27, in 1623, Barebone was admitted as a freeman to the Leathersellers Company of London, and in 1634 as a liveryman. While he attended to the stock and trade common to the broad functional demands made on leather in his time, his substantial property and comfort came from his successes in purveying assorted harnesses and unexpected devices (to be worn by people of a particular inclination) crafted of leather in the service of a certain aesthetic

Did you read the Disclaimer? That noticeable rectangle at the top left of the page? It basically says that the whole thing is fiction.
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 am

No, I didn't read that particular disclaimer. However, Praise-God Barebones was a seller of leather goods and WAS a real person. He's mentioned (as you'll see in the link) in Pepys' Diary.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tourvel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:54 pm

I was recently sold carpet by a young man called Fanahan Moriarty ..... My imagination was transported!
Tourvel

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:05 am

:lol: What a great name!

Welcome to the site, Tourvel! :)
Tonyblack

Postby Seimimac » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:54 pm

My ex-wife's father (my ex-father-in-law?) taught a girl in school who's first name was Lasagne :)

A wonderful Roundworld placename, which could easily be a Discworld location, is Head-Smashed-in-Buffalo-Jump, in Alberta, Canada, which I visited a few years back.

A few hundred years ago, before the introduction of the horse to North America, the native peoples (the Indians) would hunt buffalo on foot. In one region, near the foothills of the Rockies in Canada, in an area called the Porcupine Hills, where the geography is so flat you can actually see the curvature of the Earth, Indians would creep up on vast herds on buffalo in the night. Disguised in buffalo hides, they would get as close as possible to the edges of the herd. At dawn, they would jump up and start yelling and whooping, causing the herd to stampede. The stampede would be directed towards a small cliff, only around 15ft high, by channeling it down a carefully prepared series of shrubs and bushes, which narrowed as it got closer to the edge. By the time the lead buffaloes realised what was in front of them, they had the weight of thousands, and in some cases, tens of thousands, of other stampeding buffalo at their backs, and hundreds would fall over the edge, where the waiting braves would slaughter them and take all they needed.

According to legend, one young brave, 15 summers old, decided that it would be very brave of him to watch from underneath as the buffalo fell. There is a small outcrop of rock in the cliff, and he thought he would be safe standing under there. He was wrong. As the hundreds of buffalo fell, and gathered in a huge pile, they fell back into the cliff side. Several hundred tons of dead and dying buffalo fell against the young brave, crushing him to death and crushing his skull, hence - Head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump. A very sad, but utterly fascinating reason for naming an otherwise fairly innocuous piece of geography.
Seimimac

Postby Penfold » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:19 pm

That is just the sort of thing that Sir Terry could have written about. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Jo of the Gates » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:13 am

I went to high school with a boy whose last name was something like Ewecszdiszebius. The spelling is probably wrong but I know exactly how it is pronounced, because he started signing his name FXDZBS.
There was a US Congressman from Texas named Barefoot Sanders.
The actress Soleil Moon Frye.
OOh! I almost forgot! Someone in my ancestry who was called Deadbox Birch. A Discworld undertaker, maybe?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:27 am

I seem to remember reading an interview with Terry where he said that most Discworld names could be found by flicking through a telephone directory.
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:07 pm

I remember reading that as well a long time ago. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 pm

There used to be someone called 'A Hermit' in the Stoke on Trent phone book, I suspect he got a few prank phone calls :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels