Question about Snuff

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:45 pm

LilMaibe wrote:But with all the things you listed, they had the readers thinking about what was implied.
Agree with it or not, but I think it would have lost a lot if things would have gotten an explicit explanation. Take L&L for example.
Would the text have really been better/just as good if instead of what it says about the closet it would have been said outright what's there?
It had been said in another thread, but one of the things that somehow made Discworld Discworld was that Sir Terry left to the readers imagination what didn't need an explanation.


Cough

LilMaibe wrote:There is a change in style, several plotthreads are left hanging (correct me if I am wrong, people, but it is never explained WHY the cook is so aggressive towards garlic, isn't it?) and the ending comes pretty much out of nowhere.


and thanks to tony for reminding me about the Via Cloaca.

"In Ankh-Morpork even the shit has a street to itself,” said Detritus, awe and wonder in his voice. “Truly, this is a land of opportunity.”
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
User avatar
raptornx01
Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am
Location: South florida, US

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby Paranye » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:49 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Of course scatological humour has been used throughout the ages, but, to pick a crass example, would you give it a thumbs up if in the next book there'd be a lot of underage sex depicted as something positive and 'normal'?
After all, Romeo&Juliet were what 13? 14? and the old greeks and romans had sex with adulescent boys.
I am a bit exaggerating here, yes, but thing is you have to see and judge everything in the context of the time it was written and in the context of the text itself. When a joke, if not concept comes out of nowhere there is the sore feeling of it is just there, at mildest, for having a certain joke-per-page count.
YMMV of course.


Well, in I Shall Wear Midnight, there is underage sex - and it was included because it is normal. Happens all the time. It's a part of life. Bodily functions are a part of life too.

We can't ignore the gross biological weaknesses of the human body. No matter how elevated our thoughts, our bodies are disgusting. They smell and they squirt waste products all over the place and they're teeming with bacteria and parasites. This is the true equality of man - everyone poops, and by extension everyone dies, because these frail meatsacks will wear out long before we're finished using them. This is something Terry Pratchett in particular must now understand with exacting clarity.

That is why I argue that toilet humour is important and legitimate in literature - because in the face of this weakness, what is there to do but laugh? That's why I disagree with your statement that jokes like these are nothing but "cheap laughs". What's cheaper about them than any joke? Why shouldn't we laugh at our own illusions of dignity? Nobody looks dignified when they poop, or throw up, or give birth. It ties in with the goblins, it ties in with the story being set in the countryside, where people live with the more disgusting parts of life everyday. Toilet humour, I believe, has as valid a place in Snuff as any other kind of humour.
Expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.
User avatar
Paranye
Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:01 am

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby Dotsie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:44 am

Underage sex isn't funny, so it's a poor comparison for toilet humour. Romeo and Juliet was a tragedy, and I don't know of any comedies involving Romans or Greeks having sex with boys. I'm not really sure why it was even brought up - what was your point LilMaibe?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:12 am

The point I tried to make (told you I suck at wording) was that the mentioned comedies were written when people had a complete different mentality.
Live and let live if you like things as they are, but to me it still feels as if several things are just there for the sake of it.
As said, the underage sex was exaggarating things, and I apologise if I should have offended anyone.
Thing is:
If I see the newer books and their changed tone and style in comparsion to the others something feels deeply wrong.

And Z: I'm trying. I'm really trying.
LilMaibe
 

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:23 am

Toilet humour has always been a part of British and probably European culture.

For example, the French professional farter, Le Pétomane.

And in case you think that children aren't interested in such things - I'd draw your attention to the very popular book in Tucson: Who Pooped in the Sonoran Desert, which is aimed at children and is quite fascinating.

Terry's books are full of mentions of bodily secretions, Snuff is by no means the first. It's funny when Fred Colon is saved from the dragon in Guards! Guards! only to land in a pile of something soft and smelly. And when the would-be assassin falls foul of Sam Vimes's booby trap and ends up in the cesspit. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28884
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:30 am

I know. It's mainly the apparent shift of focus in the stories that bugs me:
Discworld started of as pure parody and shifted to what we all knew and love. But recently the stories seem to care more about how many scenes/jokes you'd see enough of in common american (bad) comedies nowadays can be put into the story.
Without even trying to weave them into the story as before.
It might be because I am fed up with all that stupid toilet humour around me in the media* that this gets to me so much.
I think you'd people agree when I say that -showing the audience a pile of shit and tell them to laugh because shit is funny- isn't humour.

*Really, you can't watch germany television anymore without stumbling over that stuff.... Mostly on a children's program. In those live-action Disney shows....
LilMaibe
 

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby Anilori » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:33 am

Actually Dotsie, there is mention of sex with boys (or grown men looking at boys lustfully) made for laughs in Greek comedy, but I'll stop there because it's beside the point and people are going to think I can only ever talk about drawing and Aristophanes, which is not very far from the truth :oops: To be honest, I'm a bit uncomfortable about toilet humour myself (though not as much as the poor, poor gentleman who made the reference editions of Aristophanes in the 1920s, and whose pain you can feel through time in the footnotes) and I thought the plot of Snuff lacked purpose and coherence, but if anything I think I would have liked it better if the links between the status of goblins and that of refuse had been made more obvious. Maybe I read it too quickly and missed the subtleties.

PS - I didn't like Unseen Academicals much either ;)
User avatar
Anilori
Member
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 am
Location: In Hades, with the frogs

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:35 am

LilMaibe wrote:I know. It's mainly the apparent shift of focus in the stories that bugs me:
Discworld started of as pure parody and shifted to what we all knew and love. But recently the stories seem to care more about how many scenes/jokes you'd see enough of in common american (bad) comedies nowadays can be put into the story.
Without even trying to weave them into the story as before.
It might be because I am fed up with all that stupid toilet humour around me in the media* that this gets to me so much.
I think you'd people agree when I say that -showing the audience a pile of shit and tell them to laugh because shit is funny- isn't humour.

*Really, you can't watch germany television anymore without stumbling over that stuff.... Mostly on a children's program. In those live-action Disney shows....



As far as I'm aware, you still haven't read Snuff. For someone who hasn't read the book, you have a lot to say about what's in it.

And I disagree with you - you won't be surprised to hear. Honestly, you are making the latest books sound dreadful - they are not. As to your comment: "I think you'd people agree when I say that -showing the audience a pile of shit and tell them to laugh because shit is funny- isn't humour." In which book does Terry do that? :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28884
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby Dotsie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 am

Anilori wrote:Actually Dotsie, there is mention of sex with boys (or grown men looking at boys lustfully) made for laughs in Greek comedy

I didn't say there weren't any, just that I didn't know of any ;) I think it's fair to say they aren't exactly considered mainstream today! :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 am

I'm to page 120 now (need to get it from the library again when I get the chance. It's a wonder they have it. Hadn't had that much time to read as I am looking for a job atm, so you can guess what's taking up my time)

As said, it might be cause I am so sick of that kind of humour from it constantly being forced on me that my view on it differs but, when for example Ridcully has his inner monologue about Rincewind which to me seemed to be just there to explain why it is funny that Rincewind is a cowards and to mention his soiled underwear. (And it completely ignores that the Luggage is a walking laundry so...) Or when they, of all things, point out sport is good for bowel movement. Or when Ponder remembers how he discovered he's a wizard. Burning underpants? Really? I know the smell of both (I told you the people around me are stupid) and burning hair has a far more memorable smell.
And that's just three more harmless ones from one book.
(Frankly, people spent and awful lot of time thinking and talking about underwear and digestion in UA...)

EDIT: And to be honest and perhaps to clarify: It is less the kind of humour used. It's that the story litereally stops for it. Snuff got a bit better with it as far as I am and MM has it drown in the mess of a plot a bit, but dear gods UA (haven't gotten hold of ISWM yet)
LilMaibe
 

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby Dotsie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:35 pm

I've just got back from the pub with the lads I work with, and the topics covered included boobs, willies, and poo. I'm aware that this doesn't make me sound particularly sophisticated, but they weren't the only topics discussed, and they are all under 25 :P

BTW they thought these topics were hilarious - I think I'd rather not comment!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 am

Personally I blame the mainstream-media who keeps telling people that cheapest toilet humour is the highest of comedy and that Schadenfreude can only exist if there is sh*t, p*ss, severe injuries or sexism involved.
Alas, poor world
LilMaibe
 

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby Dotsie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:35 am

Nope, it's just that poo is funny.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:40 am

Dotsie wrote:Nope, it's just that poo is funny.


Tshh!

But honestly, in the right context and with some actual thought behind it, perhaps. But the sheer -show the audience poo and expect them to laugh just because it is what it is-? Not really.
LilMaibe
 

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby Dotsie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:42 am

Once again - who does that? :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests