Book Hauls

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Book Hauls

Postby author3 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi everyone.
I thought I make a thread for our Book Hauls.For some people who may not be too sure Book Hauls are lists of books we bought.I'll start of.Today I bought ...The Maze Runner by James Dashner which cost 7.99euro from Waterstones and is a paperback and I also got The Traitor Game by B.R. Collins which cost me 2 euro from a stall on the side of the street and it's a hardcover first edition.

I can't wait to see what everyone else gets :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Re: Book Hauls

Postby meerkat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Not brought a lot for some time now.
The last haul was Going Postal and Making Money Hard back, pristine condition, 1st editions, for £3.50 each! Bargain at an Oxfam Book Shop.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Antiq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:56 am

I bought Huxley's Brave New World at a market stall for €2.
I mostly buy second-hand books, new ones as gifts. I'm a big library goer, but if I really love an author, I'll collect their stuff regardless of expense. Hence my Pratchett collection :D
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby pip » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:39 am

I'm like that as well . As soon as i figure i like a writers stuff i tend to collect everything they have . But i do tend to try the second hand route first both for cost factor and because i prefer hardbacks and its the only way opf getting older books as hardbacks. Best recent haul was getting the second third and fourth books from A Song of Ice and Fire for 15 euro :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Antiq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 am

pip wrote:I'm like that as well . As soon as i figure i like a writers stuff i tend to collect everything they have . But i do tend to try the second hand route first both for cost factor and because i prefer hardbacks and its the only way opf getting older books as hardbacks. Best recent haul was getting the second third and fourth books from A Song of Ice and Fire for 15 euro :D

I love Chapters because there's a great chance of finding most of what you want second-hand :D Course I have to factor in the cost of a train ticket and lunch :lol: - but if I have to be in Dublin for some reason, it's cost-effective :D
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby pip » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 am

Thankfully working in Dublin has the bonus of lots of Chapters trips and these NAMA book shops (Book Value) that are popping up in empty premises can have some great bargains too
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Antiq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:48 am

pip wrote:Thankfully working in Dublin has the bonus of lots of Chapters trips and these NAMA book shops (Book Value) that are popping up in empty premises can have some great bargains too

NAMA books shops!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Ah well, it's an ill wind and silver linings all that :D
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby pip » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:49 am

Those across the water probably won't get that one but hey :D :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby author3 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:04 pm

I also got The Prisoner by Robert Muchamore which is the 5th book in the Hendersons Boys series which I bought last Wednesday. :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby stripy_tie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:28 am

Today I got "Night Walks" by Charles Dickens, "An Inspector Calls" by J.B Priestley (I've already read this but didn't own my own copy), "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak and "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams.
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:34 am

stripy_tie wrote:Today I got "Night Walks" by Charles Dickens, "An Inspector Calls" by J.B Priestley (I've already read this but didn't own my own copy), "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak and "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams.

The Velveteen Rabbit is a firm children's book favourite of mine.

Today I bought via Kindle, All Quiet On The Western Front because of what you said in the 'books you couldn't finish' thread. I recently read Slaughterhouse 5 and enjoyed it very much and I had only heard of All Quiet as a movie but I'm keen to read it now.

I also bought Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and another PG Wodehouse.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:07 am

All Quiet on the Westerm Front is one of my all time favourite books. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:04 am

Tonyblack wrote:All Quiet on the Westerm Front is one of my all time favourite books. :)

I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll let you know what I think when I do. :)
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Willem » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:18 am

Only got two books during my London weekend:
More Awkward Situations for Men - Danny Wallace for 6.99
The Hog Takes to Precision - Victor Mollo (a bridge book for my dad) for 11,50

Didn't find the time to go hardback-hunting in the second-hand bookshops :(
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby meerkat » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 am

There are some splendid second hand shops in York, Willem, if you are ever in this neck of the woods.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books