Question about Snuff

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Question about Snuff

Postby Malky79 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 pm

To get straight to the point, has anyone else noticed a notable increase in what I suppose could only describe as an increased amount of double entendres within Snuff compared to other Discworld novels?

I introduced my better half to the Discworld and to my delight she really loves the vast majority of them. I do as it happens read them to her of a bedtime and it was she who thought there was a definite change of tone in this regard. I think she might be right but am not totally sure.

I always found the Discworld novels to be quite a complex and layered and not without an element of this humour in the past, but are there more saucy type gags in Snuff than before?
Malky79

Re: Question about Snuff

Postby tmoh » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:00 am

Well, there's definitely more interest than usual in, shall we say, bodily functions. You've got Young Sam's love of poo, for one, and of course the whole practice of Unggue, and lots of little things as well--count the number of times Ted Flutter pisses himself in fear, or how often we're told how terrible his turkeys smell. So perhaps the "saucy type gags" are an extension of the book's very...biological nature?

Though I suppose none of that explains why the book's so concerned with such things. I think I'll leave that to better literary critics than my biology-major self....
tmoh

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 am

The double entredes were always there IMHO, the stories now just find it necessary to hit one in the face with them.
And, I said it before, there is an increased amount of scatalogical themes. Not only Sam Jr interest in poo, but, for example, the story seeing the need to not only explain why it is hilarious Rincewind is a coward but also go and inform us about the 'increased amount of soiled underwear' caused by him. Or Harry King as character. Needed for the story? Not really, actually. Still there to talk about what you'd normally leave in the toilet? Yep.
LilMaibe

Postby Thales of Miletus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Can you give an example from the text?
Meden Agan
Thales of Miletus

Postby Dotsie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:45 pm

This is a family forum! ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby meerkat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 pm

:lol: :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby pip » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Do i dare ask why you think Harry King is not needed meeps. He's absolutely key in The Truth and is an important character all round in the city as the success story and the rich guy who bacls the underdog . he's also a good play off vimes as the guys who climbed from the gutter to the top. Personally he's one of my favourite characters and plays nicely on the new rich concept.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Granted, I can't remember what exactly his role was in 'The Truth', it's been a while since I read it. But as for the post-Nightwatch era we are in now he seems to be there just to have cues to talk about shit&piss.
I said it before, and I will ask again:
What is with the sudden turn towards toilet-humour in the past few books?
LilMaibe

Postby raisindot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:09 pm

SPOILERS

Harry King is one of Pterry's best "non-main-character" creations. As a self-made man, he is a symbol of the new breed of middle class entrepreneurs who is shaking up the Ankh Morpork power structure, daring the old aristocracies and the guilds to keep him down.

He had a huge role in The Truth, essentially saving The AM Times by providing Wm. De Worde with the newsprint he was going to sell to the competing paper--after De Worde made an offer King couldn't refuse (pun intended).

In Making Money, he is Moist's first large deposit and lending customer, and, later, he makes a point of publicly demonstrating his faith in Moist after the gold is stolen.

Dealing in excretions and refuse may be how he built his wealth, but there's far more to him than that.
raisindot

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Has there been an official vote I missed making him the 'best non-main-character'?
In any case, in The Truth, as far as I recall it after your words, he made sense. In MM? Not that much. Especially as said, his actual contribution was minor and got bloated up out of proportions for the sake of having the shit&piss guy in a supporting role. Everything else that was there to him got taken away almost entirely.
LilMaibe

Postby pip » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 pm

sadly by bemoaning the loss of subtlety you're missing the subtlety. behind the taking the piss sign joke (which i actually like) Harry King is important as the everyman done good and te champion of the underdog. his role in MM is actually pivotal as he starts the ball rolling . As with de Worde he supports Moist as the Underdog with spirit.
Yes the crude jokes are right on your face but thats a thin surface to a deep and really interesting character.
I agree with raisin in him being one of the best support characters and like Vetinari I think he leaves a lot to the imagination in terms of a back story .
So while there is a few crude jokes in the later books there is still great subtlety. And with the poo books I think its fair to allow Terry parody the latest trend in young childrens books. You'd
be amazed at how many are about poo.
Crazy but true
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Well, I have been surprised when I looked up that book with the mole.
Guess we have to wait how straight things are played with that book. Though it doesn't change the trend towards toilet-humour that's so present in UA. King in MM was meh, but, as I said in the other thread, UA really, to repeat the phrase, played things too straight and serious when it came to those topics.
Though if I ever get the chance to ask Sir Terry in private I shall ask him is UA was meant to be a FU towards the publishers for pestering him to write something to cash in on the world cup first in '06 and when that didn't work in '10.
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Though if I ever get the chance to ask Sir Terry in private I shall ask him is UA was meant to be a FU towards the publishers for pestering him to write something to cash in on the world cup first in '06 and when that didn't work in '10.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when you ask him that. He'll probably think you're an escaped lunatic. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Or I will be the first one to have had the courage to ask him and be right. C'mon, the chance is there :cry:
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:05 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Or I will be the first one to have had the courage to ask him and be right. C'mon, the chance is there :cry:

I've said this before. Terry was talking about writing a book on football called Unseen Academicals in 2005. When he told us about it informally at a campsite meeting while eating bacon sandwiches, he seemed perfectly happy with the idea and not the least bit annoyed with his publishers.

I think you are talking nonsense. A writer of Terry's stature can pretty much write what he likes.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Next

Return to Latest books