books youve never finished

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

books youve never finished

Postby chris.ph » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:43 pm

now weve all had a book weve picked up and had to put down for many reasons, the last one for me was nation, i know a lot of people enjoyed this book but thats the crux of it, some people might enjoy a book others wont finish it as they just cant get into it, wot book have you put down :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Re: books youve never finished

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Nearly any Dickens book even though I rate him very highly, I just can't read them to the end :?
spideyGirl

Postby author3 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm

I've recently put down Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer which is the third book in the Twilight Saga.The reason I put it down was because i was getting sick of Stephanie Meyer's writing style and i really hated the character of Edward Cullen so he also influenced me to put down the book.And another book I put down about 2 years ago was The Fellowship of the ring by J.R.R. Tolkien I think i put that one down because the writer described things too much so that in the end I couldn't get a good mental picture and because the book was pretty big and the print was tiny.
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:51 pm

author3 wrote:I've recently put down Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer which is the third book in the Twilight Saga.The reason ...

Cos its pants :twisted:
spideyGirl

Postby author3 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:56 pm

spideyGirl wrote:
author3 wrote:I've recently put down Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer which is the third book in the Twilight Saga.The reason ...

Cos its pants :twisted:

No i honestly didn't think the series was too bad except for the characters :twisted:
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby spideyGirl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:59 pm

:lol: :lol:
spideyGirl

Postby MongoGutman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Children of Hurin by "Tolkein" i.e. C. Tolkein from notes left by J.R.R.

I've always thought it such a shame that Christopher didn't turn over his Dad's notes and unfinished manuscripts to some other writer; Feist, or Jordan perhaps.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby meerkat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Poor Fellow My Country by Xavier Herbert. It's so big! I am right behind the Aborigines but when the White folk entered the story, I just didn't want to read about them. Perhaps one day.

The Samarilion by Tolkein. Just couldn't get on with it.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:55 pm

I've tried to read Catch 22 by Joseph Heller twice and never finished it. Although I haven't tried again for about 30 years. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Don Quixote and The Diary of Anne Franks.

I may get it in the neck from certain people, but the diary was totally boring. If it wasn't for the subject matter, and the horrific events it portrayed, I doubt it would have been published.

As for Don Quixote, the book would have been a lot more interesting if he'd fallen off his donkey, got concussion and been confined to bed - where he subsequently spent his last few remaining days discerning patterns from the wallpaper, or flames from the fire.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:03 pm

I once heard of a stage version of Anne Frank that was so bad that when the German guards came on stage, someone in the audience shouted "She's in the attic!" :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:17 pm

most stephen King books. especially Insomnia. gah. the only one of his i finished was Cell. the movies, i love but the books......
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Dotsie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:21 pm

I couldn't finish The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, it's an interesting story but Michael Chabon just goes into too much detail and I couldn't be bothered :|

I also put down Victoria Hislop's The Island after only 3 pages, because it was utterly dreadful. It was universally despised in my reading group :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:23 pm

I never finished Catch-22 and Anne Frank's diary too! May try Catch-22 again but Anne Frank's diary was really boring
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Catch-up » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:07 pm

Too many to even list! A few I remember, The Dome by Stephen King, Twilight, Eragon (I think that was the name of it), dozens of mysteries my mom has lent me, dozens of new books from the library that I just grabbed to try. If it doesn't hook me in the first few pages, it gets tossed aside.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books