The Book Thief

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Book Thief

Postby Jinx » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:18 am

Tony's latest entry in the Times game reminded me of this book.
The Book Thief is written by Austrailian Markus Zusak, whose mother grew up in the area of wartime Germany where the story is set. I was mainly attracted to this book by the novel idea, it was narrated by Death.

It's a really great read for all ages (except maybe REALLY young children).

Has anyone else read it?
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:46 am

I have! :D

Last time I was in Tucson it was the book for discussion at the library discussion group. Sharlene wasn't up to going after her surgery so I read the book and went instead.

It really is a marvellous book that I would highly recommend. It's one of those books that has you laughing out loud one minute and shedding a tear the next - there are some very funny bits in there.

It was generally very well received by the group and just about everyone agreed it was an excellent book. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby steeljam » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:29 pm

I thought it was an excellent book. The imagery and characterisation were superb. There were parts that reminded me of The Tin Drum.
steeljam

Postby Nienna » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:41 am

I've read this! I love love love love LOVVVVEEE this book! It's literally one of my favourite pieces of modern literature ever. I don't know why I was just absolutely fascinated by it. It might have had something to do with my complete ignorance of world war history - any history really, so it surprised me a lot. I also loved the idea of words being so important. I read a lot a write a bit, so communication by language means a lot to me.
Nienna

Postby Dotsie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:59 am

I'm glad it's so good, I have to read it sometime this year for my reading group :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby ColinEdwards » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:47 pm

We've just got our Book Thief back from doing the rounds of family and friends who have all loved it and recommended it.

What a gem!

Now I can re-read it all over again :-)
When much is taken, something is returned.
ColinEdwards

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:51 pm

Oh good, my postman is gonna love this one :twisted: I don't just read books, I Devour them over and over. The men I used to work with would ask me where I bought my books so they could buy stock in the company. :lol: :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Fljotsdale » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Read it last year. Fantastic book. I recommend it to everyone. I was attracted to the cover - death dancing with a little girl - and then I read the blurb on the back and I had to buy it. Death narrating the story was a fantastically good idea - but I have to say the story made me cry in places. Wonderfully written. :D
I found evolution more magnificent than Eden; I found it more wonderful to be a rising ape that a falling angel.
Terry Pratchett on Darwin's Evolution of Species
Fljotsdale

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:14 pm

I'm reading it at the moment along with hundreds of others... But what I have read of it - it is wonderful. I love the depth of the story and the way you see WW2 through the eyes of the german children - which is different in it's own right!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Albert_Spangler » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 pm

I absolutely love this book, a real emotional rollercoaster. Incidentally, has anyone read Fighting Ruben Wolfe also by Markus Zusak?
Albert_Spangler

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:17 am

Is it any good? I'm wondering if he's just a one-book writer or if he can write more gems like The Book Thief. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Albert_Spangler » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:35 am

I have just bought so I guess I will find out. You will all be the first to know
Albert_Spangler

Postby Dotsie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 am

Everyone liked it at my reading group except one woman, who thought it was too twee. Well, it is a bit. You can't please everyone!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 am

Someone stole my copy. :(

This may not be true. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 pm

You're a card! :lol:
Dotsie

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books