Dear Esther

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Dear Esther

Postby Turtles4Ever » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Has anyone here tried the new 'experiemental game' Dear Esther?

Honestly, it's really wonderful. So very immersive and atmospheric with excellent narrative and stunning visuals, sound and music. I'm not even sure that it should be called a game, but let's do so for now.

It's not your standard 'FPS shooter' - you can't run or jump, only walk (and swin up to a point). There's no guns or explosions. Instead you're basically working through a story and deciphering the 'clues' as you progress. It's only 1 to 2 hours long, but it has tremendous replay value as snippets of the narrative change with each playthrough, as do many of the objects. The more you play it, the more you understand the story and form your own interpretation of what is going on. All the clues are there ......

It's a bargain at £6.99 (10 Dollars) from Steam. Currently only available for PCs, but a Mac version is in development, and possibly also console versions. Some language packs are also due out soon.

This is the home page:

http://dear-esther.com/

and the Steam page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203810/

Reviews have overall been very, very positive.

I urge people to try it - it's like nothing else that I've ever played, and is easily the best game that I've played for a great many years.
Turtles4Ever

Re: Dear Esther

Postby Turtles4Ever » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:09 pm

What, no interest in this wonderful experience at all?!? You surprise me - I thought Terry Pratchett fans were an open minded bunch. :)
Turtles4Ever

Postby Bickaxe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:11 am

Its probably due to the lack of PC gamers on this forum. It does look interesting but its not my thing (that and Skyrim is dominating my time and I have games from the summer sale I've still not played)
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Looks interesting. :) I might get it.
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Turtles4Ever » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Hope you like it. :)
Turtles4Ever

Postby SimStars13 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 pm

My first thoughts are: it's beautiful.

Unfortunately, I shall have to wait until the Mac release (and summer and an end to Zelda:Twilight Princess) but I really want to investigate this game! Thank you for sharing it :)
"Martin! I thought we sold you"

DFTBA
SimStars13

Postby Turtles4Ever » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:05 am

For all Mac users, here's hoping that the Mac release isn't too far away - pre-production has started on it and work will apparently commence in a week or so. The devs think it will take two months or so.
Turtles4Ever

Return to Games