Snuff *Warning Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Snuff *Warning Spoilers*

Postby high eight » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:10 am

LilMaibe wrote:On the note of Pearwood's post:
Do you folks think one can sort the Discworld books like 'comic ages'

No.

Next question?
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby DaveC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 am

high eight wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:On the note of Pearwood's post:
Do you folks think one can sort the Discworld books like 'comic ages'

No.

Next question?

I think you could be right, but they seem pretty well defined by most people already. :shifty:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Well, not sort them by the same definition as the comic ages but, for example
Stone Age : Mainly parody, trying to find the right style
Golden Age: Neatly balanced between plot and message, style found, Morals are woven neatly into the story
Silver Age: Focus more on single scenes, but still rather well balanced, some style slips here and there, accidentally, perhaps even on purpose.
Dark Age: Focus on morals and darker themes, moral heavy, style slips into long explanations of things (sometimes even jokes)
LilMaibe

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Problem with that is they don't track chronologically. Moving Pictures, Witches abroad, and the last hero could fit stone, while being in wildly varying points in his career.

not to mention its highly subjective.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Pam V Dew » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:14 pm

My first post, so please be gentle with me ;)

Firstly, and I may be the only one... I loved Unseen Academicals!

Now About Snuff...

After reading the first 8 pages or so of this thread, I reread the Watch series and am now reading Snuff for the 2nd time... and loving it this time around.

I have a couple of thoughts, and my apologies if anyone else has brought them up before...

1. The Duke... John Wayne... The Quiet Man, where the fight starts in the pub, gets taken outside, and half the village turn up to watch it?

2. Feeny... now that Vimes has 'grown him up', is he intended as a worthy suitor/partner for Tiffany Aching maybe?
Men are from Earth; women are from Earth. Deal with it.
Pam V Dew

Postby meerkat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:24 pm

WElLCOME Pam!

I adore Snuff. Read it five times now! I WONDERED where I had seen that pub fight before. Just like Sir T to send that up.

As for Tiffany I think she'll stay single with a few male friends.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Croeso from me too, Pam! :D

I liked Unseen Academicals also and Snuff is excellent, but I can't see Feeney hitching up with Tiffany.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:36 am

Hellooo and welcome Pam. I wasn't too keen on UA on the first read, I'm afraid, but it definitely grew on me in subsequent reads! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi Pam, I did prefer Snuff to UA.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Pam V Dew » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 am

Shwd'mae Tony :)

Tonyblack wrote:... but I can't see Feeney hitching up with Tiffany.

It was something I'd read that made me think they were nearby is all, and being a bit CDO (which is like OCD but with all the letters in alphabetical order like they should be ;)), I've now found the bits I was looking for...

Ham-on-Rye:

In Snuff it's "just down the road" from the Ramkin country place, and in SSWM it's one of the villages in Tiffany's steading.

It seemed incidental yet significant somehow.
Men are from Earth; women are from Earth. Deal with it.
Pam V Dew

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:20 am

I hadn't spotted that. :) We'll have to see what, if anything, Terry does.
Tonyblack

Postby idreamofpikas » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:59 am

First of all I'd like to state that I quite like UA and MM and adore AHFOS. Although there is a change in his style I dont think it has suffered as much as some people state.

I finished Snuff about a month ago and immediately re-read Men at Arms to see what I didnt like about his latest book. My biggest complaint is that Terry has made Vimes too much of a Gary-Sue and doesn't realize this, unlike say Carrot a deliberate Gary-Sue. The Patrician secretly supports his every move, he somehow married the richest woman in Discworld (Sybil has somehow gone from a woman slightly richer than the other nobles of AM to being as rich as them all combined) and a 2nd in command who can influence almost everyone to do what Vimes wants. To add to that Vimes now has a supernatural godlike power and a butler who is seemingly the most dangerous man alive and will kill Vimes' enemies without getting in his Lords morals dirty.

In the early books one of Vimes defining characteristics was his classism and disgust that the wealthy believed they were above the law. In Snuff he decides that he is not arrested because he doesn't respect the policeman or the people who make the law. He's essentially became what he hated a rich toff who decides his right is better than everybody else's. He's King in all but name; he wants the law to change and it does, he wants his own nation and other nations to respect a race they've treated as vermin and its done, he wants vengeance for someone threatening his sons life and his man servant makes it so or the Patrician organizes a discreet assassination.

Vimes aside it was okay. I wish they used a new character for Wilikins as I liked the warped violent Jeeves in the country. It was good to see discworld countryside and the surge was a good idea done well. I dont understand the criticism for Startford, he was supposed to be a mirror image to Vimes who also had no life and little personality and lived for his job. Were Vimes had the Nightwatch to define his life Stratford had crime.
idreamofpikas

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:52 am

You should have read guards guards. Sybil was always the richest person in the city. Vimes was always a kind of marty stu for TP (at least i always felt so). Carrot was always good at getting people to do what he wanted.

really, not much has changed except the watch is now in a much better position then it was.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 am

There is a difference between a sorta-pet-character and a Gary Stu.
Up till Nightwatch Vimes has been someone who actually worked, using his wits and skills, which were limited.
With Snuff now?
He basically gained superpowers and the problems he's facing aren't that much of a challenge, compared to things he went through pre-nightwatch.
Not to mention Vimes has become a rather omnipresent character. Look at the past few books since Nightwatch and tell me in which he isn't present.
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:13 am

Will you all stop it with the "Gary Sue" and "Marty Stus" already! :roll:

Most of us have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Please try and explain what you mean rather than just using these stupid phrases.
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels