Audio Books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Audio Books

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:19 pm

Anyone got any Discworld audio books?

I was having a rummage round Play.com and they appear to be read by Tony Robinson, and reviews are split as to whether he's good or bad.

I'd like to hear your opinions, before I dip my toe in the Ankh.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:26 pm

You should have a look here

Should be helpful :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:34 pm

Hmmm.

Where can you get the Stephen Briggs versions?

I'd very much like to download them to my MP4. It might give me the incentive to go back to the gym! 8)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:45 pm

The Tony Robinson ones are abridged. Stephen Briggs reads some of the books unabridged, but he doesn't read them all. Some are read by Nigel Planer and I believe by Celia Imrie. I'm not totally sure that all the books are available on CD yet, some are (I think) on tape.

You might try your local library as I've found a few of them in mine. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Cheery » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:53 pm

Well, I've got three read by him. He reads it very funny and entertaining, but a lot of the characters sound very much alike.
He reads better in later audiobooks, so I'd buy one of the newer ones, if you want an abridged version.

The unabridged versions (at least the newer ones) are read by Stephen briggs and if I'm honest, I like him the best. He's a brilliant reader.
So, if you want an unabridged version, I'd order it directly from the publisher (Isis Audiobooks I think) because others just take an eternety.
I waited for three months for that site to tell me, they couldn't send me Night Watch :x . Then I went to the internet site of the publisher, and three weeks later, it was here. SO GO TO THE PUBLISHER OR OTHERWISE YOU WILL WAIT FOR NOTHING! :shock: :wink:

I hope this was a help. :wink:
Cheery

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:03 pm

Bouncy for S. Briggs audio books are from ISIS Audio. link below.

I am just listening to Wee Free Men it's funny read by SB.Ii'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET OUT ALL DAY,and I am still here must get an MP3 player using my compy at the mo to listen.Image

www.isis-publishing.co.uk
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby bogieman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:29 am

All Terry's books are available here.

http://www.audible.co.uk

I have nearly all of them and they are fantastic, I avoid Tony Robinson as he reads the abridged version's and they cut out far to many bits for my liking. It was quite some time before I knew about Buggy Squires as they cut him completely from the abridged version. Hope this helps.
bogieman

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Bouncy for S. Briggs audio books are from ISIS Audio. link below.

I am just listening to Wee Free Men it's funny read by SB.Ii'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET OUT ALL DAY,and I am still here must get an MP3 player using my compy at the mo to listen.Image

www.isis-publishing.co.uk

My hubby and I discovered the Family Dollar store, not to be confused with the 99 cent store. We each got MP3 players with a gig of storage upgradeable to 2 gigs with a chip for $20 and he wound up with an mp3 video player that charges up it's own batteries by plugging in the usb port in the puter for $30, so when he has to go to doctor appts with me he watches movies on a 1.5 inch screen. :lol: :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Image wonder if they have any of them in Phoenix as I don't have an mp3 player at the mo. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:49 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Image wonder if they have any of them in Phoenix as I don't have an mp3 player at the mo. :)

Yup, just look for "Family Dollar" or if you get too desparate, you can bribe Trish or I to get ya one, LOL.

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks tina I will have a look around when I'm over for the Discworldcon. :D
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:03 pm

I got my MP3 player from British Telecom free for renewing my contract. They sent me one and I had it for about a week and it stopped working, so I phoned up and complained and they sent me another one. That also stopped working. I complained again and they sent me a third one.

I then discovered that if I poked a paperclip into the reset the first two started to work again just fine. So I've now got three. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Cheery » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:22 pm

bogieman wrote:All Terry's books are available here.

http://www.audible.co.uk

I have nearly all of them and they are fantastic, I avoid Tony Robinson as he reads the abridged version's and they cut out far to many bits for my liking. It was quite some time before I knew about Buggy Squires as they cut him completely from the abridged version. Hope this helps.

I'll soon have a lot more audiobooks. It's not even that expensive :D. Thanks for the link, bogieman!

They cut buggy out?? I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!
Cheery

Postby mspanners » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:54 am

bogieman, I agree...yep that's the same site I use.. very easy and reliable and I too avoid the Abridged books... what's the point of decaf books when for the same price you can get the full rich bodied ones. :shock: :D
mspanners

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I got my MP3 player from British Telecom free for renewing my contract. They sent me one and I had it for about a week and it stopped working, so I phoned up and complained and they sent me another one. That also stopped working. I complained again and they sent me a third one.

I then discovered that if I poked a paperclip into the reset the first two started to work again just fine. So I've now got three. :lol:

LMAO... well, at Family Dollar the ones you get for $20 work very well, and Wee Dug, I would just pony up the extra $10 for the $30 mp3/video player since the ones here have their own battery which recharges when plugged into your puter. :wink: You can store pics as well as video or mp3 formats.

Next

Return to Latest books