Reaper Man Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Reaper Man Discussion **Spoilers**

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Oooooh, I love it when he gets stern! :mrgreen:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Oooooh, I love it when he gets stern! :mrgreen:

Me, too. Always fun to see when Tony gets out of his mellow, let-it-all-hang-out mode every once in a while. :D
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:40 pm

He will be putting on the high heeled shoes, and polishing up his whip before we know it! :D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
cabbagehead wrote:What I don't understand in the plot of Reaper Man is on what time was the little girl living? At first Bill Door shares his time with her, which allows her to keep living in a coma state, but what happens when he beats the New Death and she goes back to breathing normally? Where did the new sand in her lifetimer come from (surely she has one)?
That's a good question - and I don't know the answer.

She certainly seems to have survived. The last we hear of her, Miss Flitworth says that she's sleeping now, normally. And that's it. :think:

Anyone got any ideas?

I think it's within his power to bestow more time, but he never does because of the trouble that would cause. He wouldn't have saved her in the first place but for Miss Flitworth, so we can assume that he doesn't agree with it.

In Mort,
Spoiler: show
Presumably if he hadn't saved Ysabelle she would have died, but when she went back into the world she had a few years left. They must have come from somewhere, not to mention Mort's extra time.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Hvitveis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:16 pm

I read Mort much later than Reaper Man and the other death/susan books, so for some time I assumed the girl he rescued was ysabell, Susans mother..

Anyways, I really like the whole of the book and has never been able to look at trolleys nor compost heaps in quite the same way.

I am not sure I agree with the concept of auditors not being able to become individuals: when they take a shape as wolves or humans they become individuals, but I am not sure if the new death would be one of them. At the same time, looking at how they behave when they take human form, in Theaf of Time, the flamboyant new death is not that different in the sense of having a huge ego.
hidden for those who have not read hogfather
Spoiler: show
How long would it take for the void of death to be filled with someone else? MAking comparisons to the Hogfather, how long before new household gods turn up when the hogfather "leaves"?
Hvitveis

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:39 am

I'm going to comment on this after three years. I have been recently watching Mark Reads Reaper Man and I have some new thoughts about the book. I apologise if I am repeating anything that has already been covered.

The Discworld up to this point, has been rather like a Medieval world, but it's starting to change and Terry is introducing us to that change. We are moving into the Industrial period of that world. We see this in two ways. In Ankh-Morpork we see the first glimpses of an urban spreading. The Mall represents the move away from the traditional market economy and we see a shiny temple of commerce trying to form. It doesn't altogether work, but in future books we start to see less individual craftspeople and more mass production. We see a rise in multiculturalism along with the stresses and advantages that can bring to a city.

Then we see the beginning of the death of rural life. Where a whole village would join together to bring in the harvest, we see the future where one man and a machine can do the work much quicker and more efficiently.

Both of these are a reflection of our own world. The workforce that once brought in the harvest are moving into the cities where there is industry. Our world suddenly needed iron, steel, coal and oil and the workforce to get them.

This is the start of Discworld's Industrial Revolution. I don't think the world is ever the same again after this. We move from Medieval to Victorian really quite rapidly over the rest of the series.
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Aquamarine » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The Discworld up to this point, has been rather like a Medieval world, but it's starting to change and Terry is introducing us to that change.

I think the change began earlier with the attempted infiltration of Moving Pictures, an early 20th century invention trying to take over a medieval-style world. Going from The Colour of Magic to Eric, the stories focus on medieval, medieval-esque, or even older civilizations in a fantasy setting, with their conventions getting subverted and parodied to the sky and back. Moving Pictures seems to me the definitive moment when modernity began its campaign against that world, though that particular one dissolved almost as soon as it arrived. Like Moving Pictures, the industrial advances of Reaper Man were beaten back and/or outright sabotaged.

Then again, Moving Pictures changed the Discworld game in a lot of ways; ushering in the Ridcully administration at Unseen University, shifting Dibbler and Detritus from one-off extras to recurring characters, introducing Ponder Stibbons and Gaspode the Wonder Dog, ending the "Dungeon Dimensions are invading" plotline, and so on.

Apart from Death's character development, I think Reaper Man's main role was to crystallize many of these pre-existing elements. For instance, I think it's the first novel where you really get an idea of what the Unseen University faculty's group dynamics are like, which I think was relatively downplayed in the prior book.

And, of course, it introduced Reg Shoe into the mix, which is a big plus. :D
"The truth shall make ye fret."
Aquamarine

Previous

Return to Discworld novels