Reaper Man Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Reaper Man Discussion **Spoilers**

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Oooooh, I love it when he gets stern! :mrgreen:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Oooooh, I love it when he gets stern! :mrgreen:

Me, too. Always fun to see when Tony gets out of his mellow, let-it-all-hang-out mode every once in a while. :D
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:40 pm

He will be putting on the high heeled shoes, and polishing up his whip before we know it! :D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
cabbagehead wrote:What I don't understand in the plot of Reaper Man is on what time was the little girl living? At first Bill Door shares his time with her, which allows her to keep living in a coma state, but what happens when he beats the New Death and she goes back to breathing normally? Where did the new sand in her lifetimer come from (surely she has one)?
That's a good question - and I don't know the answer.

She certainly seems to have survived. The last we hear of her, Miss Flitworth says that she's sleeping now, normally. And that's it. :think:

Anyone got any ideas?

I think it's within his power to bestow more time, but he never does because of the trouble that would cause. He wouldn't have saved her in the first place but for Miss Flitworth, so we can assume that he doesn't agree with it.

In Mort,
Spoiler: show
Presumably if he hadn't saved Ysabelle she would have died, but when she went back into the world she had a few years left. They must have come from somewhere, not to mention Mort's extra time.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Hvitveis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:16 pm

I read Mort much later than Reaper Man and the other death/susan books, so for some time I assumed the girl he rescued was ysabell, Susans mother..

Anyways, I really like the whole of the book and has never been able to look at trolleys nor compost heaps in quite the same way.

I am not sure I agree with the concept of auditors not being able to become individuals: when they take a shape as wolves or humans they become individuals, but I am not sure if the new death would be one of them. At the same time, looking at how they behave when they take human form, in Theaf of Time, the flamboyant new death is not that different in the sense of having a huge ego.
hidden for those who have not read hogfather
Spoiler: show
How long would it take for the void of death to be filled with someone else? MAking comparisons to the Hogfather, how long before new household gods turn up when the hogfather "leaves"?
Hvitveis

Previous

Return to Discworld novels