The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:53 pm

raisindot wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:Why can't you work in a plausible evolutionary concept that does allow the key aspect - Jack Cohen (of Science of the Discworld fame) always cites the 'common ancestor' of all land vertebrates as being responsible for our having such awful respiratory probs because our airways are in front of our digestive tract (or is it the other way around?
:roll: ). His point is that if another creature that didn't have that particular configuration had got out of the primeval oceans and was able to breathe oxygen out of water first, then maybe we wouldn't have such dire ENT problems or get pneumonia and coughs and so on...

I like that idea. For about ten seconds I had thought about writing a novella based on the notion that human beings never developed eyes (or at least eyes that could detect anything other than light). Since human development and science is nearly entirely based on vision (if you can't see the stars, or the sky, you don't really know that there's a world out ther further than you can walk). Then I thought that someone must have done this already, and I've got focus on getting the novel I have completed out there.

I dunno about human biological evolution, but I do believe that there is a story by HG Wells about a society of blind people isolated in a valley. The Country of the Blind. Their blindness was caused initially by a disease, and is now hereditary.

Anyway, at the moment, I am mulling the concept of my new TP Prize novel, trying to work out how the plot will go. I have, basically, two disconnected plots that I am trying to merge. Will be trying to do that for the time being... :?
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 am

Okay. I've made an attempt (slow going so far) of returning to my original intended book for the TP Prize. It's slow going, but I think, with some effort and a little padding, I might just stretch it to 80K words. Just.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 am

Good stuff Q. Hope it works out well. :D
I'll buy it when its published :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:49 am

pip wrote:Good stuff Q. Hope it works out well. :D

IF it gets published, you mean. :?

But I am hoping to have it ready for the TP Prize. Progress is slow, but it's fine enough.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Quatermass wrote:

But I am hoping to have it ready for the TP Prize. Progress is slow, but it's fine enough.

I was being positive. :D
Keep us informed of the progress anyway :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:26 pm

pip wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

I was being positive. :D
Keep us informed of the progress anyway :D

Well, I'm 15K words in. How's that for progress?

It's still pretty slow for what I normally do, though. At the moment, I mean. I've barely done maybe 700 words today, most of which were copied and pasted from a previous draft. I usually do at least 2500 words, about a chapter. But I'm sorta lacking motivation at the moment.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:33 pm

I suppose its because its for a contest the stress levels will increase . Just try enjoy it and see were it brings you :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Progress is slow, partly due to real life getting in the way, but I'm nearly up to 20K words.

Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love YOUR definition of "slow" Q.

As Dory always says...... "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Batty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:40 pm

I started writing yesterday, purely 'cause a thought took hold and I followed it to see where it led me.

I ended up writing 6008 words - and the story has barely begun! The thing is, I'm all worded out (- technical expression!) so I won't pick it up again unless it calls to me!

That should show it who's Boss!! :lol:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Doing well is about 2500 words a day for me. Which I'm not doing ATM, partly because real life gets in the way, and partly because I'm lacking the motivation to write the book.

Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:26 pm

I've done about 23K words, and hopefully, I might be able to bring it up to 80K words. Lots of padding has gone into it, though... :? It's only now that the really exciting bit comes in...

Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Well you're over 25% of the way there and it's not even February yet... :lol:

You are a worry wart aren't you! :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:36 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Well you're over 25% of the way there and it's not even February yet... :lol:

JVQ, this draft is my 124th. Over a period of about two years. I need to allow a lot of time just in case I change my mind, prevaricate, pontificate, procrastinate, postpone, play with, or otherwise f*** up my work.

And in any case, I'm still a little worried that I may not make 80K words. I need a decent quality book before I can submit it.

Remember, writing is actually easy. Quality writing is hard.

Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:08 am

Quatermass wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:Well you're over 25% of the way there and it's not even February yet... :lol:

JVQ, this draft is my 124th. Over a period of about two years. I need to allow a lot of time just in case I change my mind, prevaricate, pontificate, procrastinate, postpone, play with, or otherwise f*** up my work.

And in any case, I'm still a little worried that I may not make 80K words. I need a decent quality book before I can submit it.

Remember, writing is actually easy. Quality writing is hard.

Unless you are being a perfectionist! ;)

Should change your nic from Q to P.....

On second thoughts.... no..... "Hi P !" just doesnt have the same ring to it.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett