Lord of the Rings - Mordor's version

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Lord of the Rings - Mordor's version

Postby Willem » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:38 am

I'm not sure if this has been discussed on the forum yet, but I was reminded of a re-telling of The Lord of the Rings this weekend when talking to my sister.

I offered to lend her two books by Jacqueline Carey, Godslayer and Banewreaker, which are a thinly disguised retelling of a Lord of the Rings-like tale, from the perspective of the bad guys (the main character being the equivalent of the Witch King.
I knew of a Russian book that actually uses the whole setting and characters from Tolkien's work, but that hadn't been translated into English due to fears of protest from the Tolkien estate. However, an amateur enthousiast has translated it and is offering it for free to read.

I haven't read it yet but hoping to spend some time in the enlightened kingdom of Mordor this weekend, besieged by conformist and traditionalists to stop their forays into science and alchemy.

The file should be found here
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Re: Lord of the Rings - Mordor's version

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:50 pm

How did I miss this until now? :lol:

Was hopping through as I downloaded - very fanfic but interesting angle and nice to have some perspective on the Sauron side for a change :P

Don't know when I'll have time to read it for a week or so but will be interested to see what you make of it :ugeek:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby stripy_tie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:39 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:How did I miss this until now? :lol:

Was hopping through as I downloaded - very fanfic but interesting angle and nice to have some perspective on the Sauron side for a change :P

Don't know when I'll have time to read it for a week or so but will be interested to see what you make of it :ugeek:

There's a good video that provides an alternative view of LOTR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD2nXMcjJOs
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:59 am

:lol: I roleplay (pen and paper) both Morgoth/Melkor and Sauron online - they're much more interesting to play especially when they're being exceptionally evil :twisted: Best Elf to RP by a long chalk is Feanor although Glorfindel's not too bad in First Age but not as interesting as Balrogs or Boldogs (demon-possessed Orcs) :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Didn't they already do that? Jacqueliune Carey apparently wrote two books that were effectively Lord of the Rings from Mordor's viewpoint, Banewreaker and Godslayer. :think:
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Willem » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:35 pm

I mentioned Carey in my post, second sentence :)
This book precedes hers by about 7 years.

I've read about 10% of it, it's interesting but awfully mirror-universe-like :)
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Quatermass » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:32 am

Willem wrote:I mentioned Carey in my post, second sentence :)
This book precedes hers by about 7 years.

I've read about 10% of it, it's interesting but awfully mirror-universe-like :)

Oops. Boy, my face IS red. :oops:

Sorry, didn't pay attention. :oops:
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Return to Non-Discworld books