After Snuff.....

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Personally I'd rather sort Carpe Jugulum with the parody books. but good question: is there any truly 'nightmare fuel'/'high octane nightmare fuel' in the discworld books/Sir Terry's writings?
LilMaibe
 

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby raisindot » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Penfold wrote:I know quite a few on here aren't too keen on Sir Terry's 'parody' books (Souls Music, Moving Pictures, etc.) because they basically boil down to 'spot the reference' humour but I would love to see him give the horror genre the same kind of treatment. :D


Well, The Fifth Elephant did have vampires, werewolves and (shudder!) dwarfs and Igors. And Cheery in a red dress.
raisindot
Member
 
Posts: 3171
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:51 am

LilMaibe wrote:Personally I'd rather sort Carpe Jugulum with the parody books. but good question: is there any truly 'nightmare fuel'/'high octane nightmare fuel' in the discworld books/Sir Terry's writings?


I could see the elves qualifying there. that whole last section of lords and ladies was very horror movie-esq

as for Carpe Jugulum, i'm sorry, but it is not possible for me to read that book and not constantly picture Twilight. its a damn good parody. and for a book that came out some 7 years BEFORE the other one, thats a good trick. all that was missing was Mr Sparkles. i even end up picturing all the movie actors when i picture the book vamps.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
User avatar
raptornx01
Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am
Location: South florida, US

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby stripy_tie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:02 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:Personally I'd rather sort Carpe Jugulum with the parody books. but good question: is there any truly 'nightmare fuel'/'high octane nightmare fuel' in the discworld books/Sir Terry's writings?


I could see the elves qualifying there. that whole last section of lords and ladies was very horror movie-esq

as for Carpe Jugulum, i'm sorry, but it is not possible for me to read that book and not constantly picture Twilight. its a damn good parody. and for a book that came out some 7 years BEFORE the other one, thats a good trick. all that was missing was Mr Sparkles. i even end up picturing all the movie actors when i picture the book vamps.


I don't know what those things in twilight are but they're not vampires, vampires burn in sunlight. If it doesn't burn in the sunlight then it isn't a vampire. Why you should picture them when reading Carpe Jugulum is slightly puzzling.
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
User avatar
stripy_tie
Member
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:38 am
Location: Guernsey, Land of Sea and Granite

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby Hvitveis » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:05 pm

I don't know what those things in twilight are but they're not vampires, vampires burn in sunlight. If it doesn't burn in the sunlight then it isn't a vampire. Why you should picture them when reading Carpe Jugulum is slightly puzzling.


That sounds like me in summer. :oops:
User avatar
Hvitveis
Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:33 pm
Location: Norway/Spain

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:57 pm

stripy_tie wrote:I don't know what those things in twilight are but they're not vampires, vampires burn in sunlight. If it doesn't burn in the sunlight then it isn't a vampire. Why you should picture them when reading Carpe Jugulum is slightly puzzling.


Blade would like a word with you.

because seriously, it just fits so perfectly. i saw the movie the first time and the father is going on his intro of who they are and my first thought was, "wait, they joined the temperance league? they're black ribboners?" and the who plot of CJ just crossed my mind. Agnes as bell, Vlad as edward, Lacrimosa as alice. or vice versa.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
User avatar
raptornx01
Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am
Location: South florida, US

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Just sprung to mind:
Is it actually possible to have a genuine horror-story set on the Disc? With vampires, werewolves, ghosts, boogeymen etc being known and part of everyday life, basically. Elves, Things and even Auditors might pose a threat but, but even elves aren't fully 'high octane nightmare fuel' (means -F-!I wanted to sleep the next few month actually- kind of horror)
LilMaibe
 

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby Hvitveis » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Mr Teatime comes to mind, or the town that Lily Weatherwax ruled in Witches Abroad. (Her name was Lily, wasn't it? I do not have the book here to check..) And those snake sisters...shivers. (But then my limit of scary is Jurassic Park.) But it is not the full on horror..I remember seeing Pitch Black and walking home alone in the dark afterwards flinching at every momevent despite having seen only half the movie. (hands in front of eyes and fingers in ears..WUSS!) But then, the "bad guys or women" tend to get killed in Discworld, so they cannot come after me..
User avatar
Hvitveis
Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:33 pm
Location: Norway/Spain

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:00 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Just sprung to mind:
Is it actually possible to have a genuine horror-story set on the Disc? With vampires, werewolves, ghosts, boogeymen etc being known and part of everyday life, basically. Elves, Things and even Auditors might pose a threat but, but even elves aren't fully 'high octane nightmare fuel' (means -F-!I wanted to sleep the next few month actually- kind of horror)


it just wasn't taken to its full extreme. think of the end section of L&L, think of the stories Nanny told, and the rhymes. Elves flitting around in the night, people afraid to go out doors at night. parents finding their children gone. many others enchanted by glamour, living zombies. people even GIVING their children to them.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
User avatar
raptornx01
Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am
Location: South florida, US

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby Palle » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 pm

I found The Amazing Maurice rather horrifying. Only it was the humans that were scary.
User avatar
Palle
New member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:30 pm
Location: Visby

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby meerkat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi Palle! Welcome to the site!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
User avatar
meerkat
Member
 
Posts: 13475
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Wilberfoss East Riding Yorkshire

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi from me too! :) I agree, Maurice is very dark in places.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28694
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby Penfold » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:36 am

Hellooo and welcome from me too, Palle! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
User avatar
Penfold
Member
 
Posts: 7045
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Worthing

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby polythenegirl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:45 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:Just sprung to mind:
Is it actually possible to have a genuine horror-story set on the Disc? With vampires, werewolves, ghosts, boogeymen etc being known and part of everyday life, basically. Elves, Things and even Auditors might pose a threat but, but even elves aren't fully 'high octane nightmare fuel' (means -F-!I wanted to sleep the next few month actually- kind of horror)


it just wasn't taken to its full extreme. think of the end section of L&L, think of the stories Nanny told, and the rhymes. Elves flitting around in the night, people afraid to go out doors at night. parents finding their children gone. many others enchanted by glamour, living zombies. people even GIVING their children to them.


This...so much this! That could be a truely horrific story/book if it was done correctly
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl
Member
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby WolfLeBlack » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 am

I'm incredibly indecisive about what I'd like to see next. At the moment Raising Taxes would seem to be the most likely, but because thee's always the chance that the next book from Mr. Pratchett could be the last I'd love to see him bring Rincewind back for one final adventure.

On that note, I've had an idea floating around in my head for a while now for a Discworld story where Rincewind gets framed for murder in Anhk-Morpork, which then, of course, brings the Watch into play. Combining Rincewind and the Watch into one book would be perfect for me :D
wolfsgamingblog.com

Games Journalist.

All round geek.
WolfLeBlack
New member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:31 am

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests