Amazon Takes Back Orwell Books from Reader's Kindle

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Should books be "kindlized" and if so does the seller have the right to retrieve the book without notice?

No - Down with Kindle. I want "real books!"
52%
Yes - failing to modernize is refusing to use technology .
5%
Yes, BUT - once you've bought and paid for it, the Kindle copy is as much yours as a paper copy.
43%

Total votes : 21

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Maybe Chris - until you absolutely must, need, crave it like the most divine Belgian chocolate, really have to have, the info and THEN it reverts to the Library/Encylopaedia version of Tesco's and all you can find are bloody ads and specious special offers... Although I'm certifiably mad it makes me so much madder that my brain overrides my memory and I can't even remember what I needed to find out anymore - last time was yesterday and I even forget to come on this site at all...

PS: that's just me kidding - we had a big power down here and by the time the work finished I needed to be somewhere else :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:25 pm

The Internet is great for so many things but it's hardly the most reliable source of accurate information. Anyone can write anything on the Internet which can be completely made up. To use the Internet for fact finding requires a good deal of filtering of good information from garbage.

Sometimes there such a thing as too much info. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:30 pm

I don't know how true it is, but I've been told that anyone can change 'facts' on wikipedia, and the information provided cannot be taken as gospel.

You also can't instantly find anything you want - or I can't, anyway.
A few years ago I was trying to buy a DVD for a friend of mine. She wanted the Water Babies and I decided to look up the production details and then order it for her.
Have you ever tried googling 'water babies'? The sites that mr. google decided were relevant made me blush! I had to look twice to check that my eyes weren't deceiving me!!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:52 pm

*snorts water up nostrils* PMSL :lol:

That's true about Wiki though - they're notorious for it in fact. They even managed to upset lovely Auntie Valerie Singleton - they kept saying she had a thing going with Joan Armatrading so Auntie Val had to keep going in and deleting it ('cos she didn't - it was one of Joan's (male) backing musicians - apparently! :o ) until they promised her they wouldn't let people edit it anymore... or was that the other way around and they said she wasn't? :twisted:

*loses interest and wanders off*
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Batty wrote:I don't know how true it is, but I've been told that anyone can change 'facts' on wikipedia, and the information provided cannot be taken as gospel.

You also can't instantly find anything you want - or I can't, anyway.
A few years ago I was trying to buy a DVD for a friend of mine. She wanted the Water Babies and I decided to look up the production details and then order it for her.
Have you ever tried googling 'water babies'? The sites that mr. google decided were relevant made me blush! I had to look twice to check that my eyes weren't deceiving me!!
Are you sure you didn't accidentally type 'water babes'? :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Batty not any one can change the facts on wikipedia you have to be registered on it first, if it is not an open submission.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:27 pm

Wiki contains so much info that there are bound to be mistakes from time to time. However, I believe that as a whole, there isn't a better or more accurate site on the internet and Wiki can be usually trusted.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby GrayGriffin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:17 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Batty not any one can change the facts on wikipedia you have to be registered on it first, if it is not an open submission.

No, unregistered people can edit it too. But you can still tell which IP address did it.

(Oh hay I see an animal head on the right side of our background!)

And my dad is a moron because he can't understand the differences between a book and a Kindle.
GrayGriffin

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:10 am

poohbcarrot wrote:Wiki contains so much info that there are bound to be mistakes from time to time. However, I believe that as a whole, there isn't a better or more accurate site on the internet and Wiki can be usually trusted.

Finally! Our bad little bear believes in something! :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:17 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Finally! Our bad little bear believes in something! :lol:

I believe in lots of things, just not the same things that other people believe in. :D
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:15 am

Show off! :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Show off! :lol:

How is me believing that "Marmite is better than peanut butter" showing off? :?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Trish » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Upside to a litigious society is you don't have to put up with it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090731/ap_ ... le_lawsuit
Trish

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:28 pm

Trish wrote:Upside to a litigious society is you don't have to put up with it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090731/ap_ ... le_lawsuit
Student Power! :twisted:

Good for him, I hope he proves successful.
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:22 pm

Class action! :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum