After Snuff.....

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:02 am

GP was, well, fresh, while MM read more or less like stabled together from drafts for GP. It was basically the same story in green just not as memorizable as GP. GP had many little moment you remember, MM...yes, there was the bit with the sex toys and possible the golems, but MM leaves one (YMMV, of course) with a feeling that something happened without happening... It's there and that's it, but how everything goes together is...hard to tell.

As for Last Continent:
UA gives us several information about the daily life at the university that directly contradict information in Last Continent (wizards sleeping habits, for example) That wouldn't matter if it, in a way, wouldn't have been so essential in TLC that wizards don't have mealtimes between supper and breakfast. It's all just speculation and yes, a bit of overanalysis, but here's my string of thoughts:

In TLC the wizards order food out of the regular times in a greater amount than the 'occassional nightsnack'. Food which has to be brought to the study. Which then leads to the wizards getting stuck on mono island.
Now, if there'd been a nightkitchen and regular meals at 3 am (or it be at leats common for wizards to be up at that time, as it is in UA) they very likely would have brought food with them directly.
So, no need for Mrs Whitlow to come to the study and cause the following events.

As said, it is just speculation.
LilMaibe

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:55 pm

maybe habits changed a bit by then, there was several years between the two stories. (five or six possibly)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby high eight » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:35 pm

LilMaibe wrote:GP was, well, fresh, while MM read more or less like stabled together from drafts for GP. It was basically the same story in green just not as memorizable as GP. GP had many little moment you remember, MM...yes, there was the bit with the sex toys and possible the golems, but MM leaves one (YMMV, of course) with a feeling that something happened without happening... It's there and that's it, but how everything goes together is...hard to tell.

As for Last Continent:
UA gives us several information about the daily life at the university that directly contradict information in Last Continent (wizards sleeping habits, for example) That wouldn't matter if it, in a way, wouldn't have been so essential in TLC that wizards don't have mealtimes between supper and breakfast. It's all just speculation and yes, a bit of overanalysis, but here's my string of thoughts:

In TLC the wizards order food out of the regular times in a greater amount than the 'occassional nightsnack'. Food which has to be brought to the study. Which then leads to the wizards getting stuck on mono island.
Now, if there'd been a nightkitchen and regular meals at 3 am (or it be at leats common for wizards to be up at that time, as it is in UA) they very likely would have brought food with them directly.
So, no need for Mrs Whitlow to come to the study and cause the following events.

As said, it is just speculation.

I don't entirely agree with you about Making Money, though I do think it is one of the weaker books. And, as a diabetic, I find the subplot about Cosmo's finger a little too close to home.

As for the wizards eating habits - who knows the mind of a wizard? Especially a hungry one.......
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 pm

The hand thing was creepy.
As for the eating habits:
Yes, but UA makes it rather clear that it has been like that since always. (To pseudo-quote TLC: Has it always been like that since the founding of the university 2000 years ago, half a year ago?) If it were said that the nightkitchen is something new, there'd be no problem.
LilMaibe

Postby high eight » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:21 pm

LilMaibe wrote:The hand thing was creepy.
As for the eating habits:
Yes, but UA makes it rather clear that it has been like that since always. (To pseudo-quote TLC: Has it always been like that since the founding of the university 2000 years ago, half a year ago?) If it were said that the nightkitchen is something new, there'd be no problem.

Terry is actually very good at creepy - I'd like to see him write a straight-up horror story. I think he'd be good at it.

It's implied that the night kitchen is a change and I'll settle for that - but then I like UA and am willing to forgive such a minor continuity problem.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Lesson learned: One has to be very, very careful with retcons, even if a setting is said to have a loose continuity
(And honestly, the continuity errors within the story bug me much more, but I digress)
LilMaibe

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:35 pm

high eight wrote:
Terry is actually very good at creepy - I'd like to see him write a straight-up horror story. I think he'd be good at it.

Good Omens (with Gaiman) is probably as close as he's gotten so far with the horror genre.
raisindot

Postby pip » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Don't forget "20P WITH ENVELOPE AND SEASONAL GREETING" from Shivers for Christmas :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby high eight » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:27 pm

raisindot wrote:
high eight wrote:

Good Omens (with Gaiman) is probably as close as he's gotten so far with the horror genre.

There was Duke Felmet trying to get the blood off his hand - with a file.

And his short story IfdefDEBUG "world/enough" "time" had a couple of creepy moments (though the ending raised a lump in my throat).
high eight

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:31 am

high eight wrote:
And his short story IfdefDEBUG "world/enough" "time" had a couple of creepy moments (though the ending raised a lump in my throat).

Which one was that?
OMWF got a very weird treatment in germany...we got a complete translation, but the order of the stories is messed and the illustrations are missing...
LilMaibe

Postby Ziriath » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 am

The scariest Discworld moment so far was in Night Watch, that part in the prison.
Ziriath

Postby high eight » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:44 pm

LilMaibe wrote:
high eight wrote:

Which one was that?
OMWF got a very weird treatment in germany...we got a complete translation, but the order of the stories is messed and the illustrations are missing...

The one about the computer boffin who put himself and his wife on the internet after their deaths. It managed to be romantic and scary at the same time.
high eight

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Ziriath wrote:The scariest Discworld moment so far was in Night Watch, that part in the prison.

I never saw that as being scary at all. dark, emotional, yes, but not scary.

I always wondered how you could handle that scene if the book were made into a movie. all i could picture was just seeing death walk out of the cell and the shade of a woman walking out behind him with a solemn look and looking over her shoulder mouthing "thank you"

Thud on the other hand. the scene with the fire dwarf and lady Sybil surprised the crap out of me.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:09 pm

I know quite a few on here aren't too keen on Sir Terry's 'parody' books (Souls Music, Moving Pictures, etc.) because they basically boil down to 'spot the reference' humour but I would love to see him give the horror genre the same kind of treatment. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby high eight » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Penfold wrote:I know quite a few on here aren't too keen on Sir Terry's 'parody' books (Souls Music, Moving Pictures, etc.) because they basically boil down to 'spot the reference' humour but I would love to see him give the horror genre the same kind of treatment. :D

He almost did with the vampires in Carpe Juglum.
high eight

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books