Snuff *Warning Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Snuff *Warning Spoilers*

Postby raisindot » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Raptor, you're from south Florida, so let's try this out as a roundworld scenario. (Let us assume that Willikens had not been deputized and was acting as a private citizen at the end of Snuff).

Will E. Kins, a regular citizen who also happens to be the janitor working in the office of Dade Country sheriff Stan Vines, has been riding on I-95 in his Camaro following a police van that he knows is carrying Joe Stratford, a ruthless serial murderer, from its starting point at Ft. Lauderdale police headquarters to Dade County Correctional. Suddenly, the van veers off the road and crashes into a ditch. Kins pulls over to observe.

Moments later, the back of the van blows open. Two bodies are thrown out. Kins emerges, free from his shackles, carrying a gun. Kids steps out of his car, unsheaths the Glock from his hip holster, aims it at Stratford, and tells him to drop his weapon. Stratford thinks for a moment, and then aims his gun at Kins. Kins fires first, killing Stratford. Kins gets into his car and drives away.

Sheriff Vines hears about this event over the radio. He knows that Kins is a crack shot and is rumored to have a violent criminal past, although he has never been arrested. He also saw Kins' Camaro following the van when it left the Ft. Lauderdale police station and, in the past, has often heard Kins talking about the merits of vigilante justice. He knows that Kins carries a Glock .44 caliber gun with him at all times, and also has heard from forensics that Stratford was killed by a .44 bullet, while the other policemen were killed with bullets from their own service revolvers.

In this situation, do you believe that Vins would simply let this matter rest and choose not to ask Kins where he was at the time of Stratford's death? Do you think Vins would choose not to investigate the killing? Do you think that Kins was acting purely in self defense when he killed Stratford, even though he clearly was following the van, anticipating a possible confrontation?
raisindot

Postby Maggie Ogg » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:54 pm

I also noticed no Death in Snuff, can't remember that in any of the other books though?
Maggie Ogg

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Only the Tiffany Books lacked him AFAIK. Though there's a fantheory that that is cause the Disc is already the afterlife for Feegles.
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Maggie Ogg wrote:I also noticed no Death in Snuff, can't remember that in any of the other books though?

Welcome Maggie Ogg! :D

Yes, Death was missing in Wee Free Men. Personally, I don't have a problem with this. It's not like he HAS to be in every book.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Oberon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Welcome to the site Maggie Ogg.
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” (Terry Pratchett).
Oberon

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Maggie Ogg wrote:I also noticed no Death in Snuff, can't remember that in any of the other books though?

Welcome Maggie Ogg.

That's one hell of an avatar you've got there. I may have to throw buckets of cold water over the boys on here!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Only the Tiffany Books lacked him AFAIK. Though there's a fantheory that that is cause the Disc is already the afterlife for Feegles.

I think Death was in at least the middle two Tiffany books, wasn't he?
raisindot

Postby Oberon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:00 pm

raisindot wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:Only the Tiffany Books lacked him AFAIK. Though there's a fantheory that that is cause the Disc is already the afterlife for Feegles.

I think Death was in at least the middle two Tiffany books, wasn't he?

He was in a Hat Full of Sky (When Tiffany helped the Hiver to die) and in Wintersmith. (He came for Miss Treason and spoke to Tiffany).

EDIT: It's just occurred to me that in Wintersmith when The Feegles took Roland into the underworld Death was The Ferryman.
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” (Terry Pratchett).
Oberon

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm not sure that was Death on the ferryboat. :think:
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Welcome to the forum Maggie Ogg, I do like to see Death in the Books though. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:35 pm

You kind of wonder whether Pterry's consideration of his own mortality is influencing his decision not to feature Death in his most recent DW books (although a roundworld variant was feautured as one of the gods in Nation), the same way that the Bursar didn't appear at all in UA.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:44 pm

raisindot wrote:You kind of wonder whether Pterry's consideration of his own mortality is influencing his decision not to feature Death in his most recent DW books (although a roundworld variant was feautured as one of the gods in Nation), the same way that the Bursar didn't appear at all in UA.

Recent? :think:

Wee Free Men was published in 2003 - that's hardly recent.

And the only other book without Death is Snuff. Yes, that's recent, but hardly a trend.
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 pm

With Snuff, we are almost as much in the dark as Vimes. Removing the character of Death increases the mystery, and also the shock we encounter upon seeing the body of the goblin girl.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
raisindot wrote:You kind of wonder whether Pterry's consideration of his own mortality is influencing his decision not to feature Death in his most recent DW books (although a roundworld variant was feautured as one of the gods in Nation), the same way that the Bursar didn't appear at all in UA.

Recent? :think:

Wee Free Men was published in 2003 - that's hardly recent.

And the only other book without Death is Snuff. Yes, that's recent, but hardly a trend.

I consider "recent" books as those that have come out since he announced that he had Alzheimer's. That would be UA, ISWM, Nation and Snuff. Does Death appear in ISWM (can't remember)? If not, then his last three DW books do not feature Death, although there is death itself in both ISWM and Snuff.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Death is indeed in I Shall Wear Midnight and, as far as I remember, he's in UA as well.

Nation isn't a Discworld book, but there is a version of Death in there.
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels