After Snuff.....

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:11 pm

i am never putting dogger in my search engine again :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Hvitveis » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:17 pm

I am studying for exams, so my brain will not let go of this mystery. What can it mean? Is this some secret insider info? Should we find some more Dried Frog Pills?

Apropos Running Water: I get associations to the edge, it would be cool to see more of what lives on the edge, amongst the water falling, looking out into the universe and down on the turtle..
Hvitveis

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:45 pm

chris.ph wrote:i am never putting dogger in my search engine again :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Why did it come up with some places you could visit ;) for some bird watching with a difference. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Hvitveis wrote:I am studying for exams, so my brain will not let go of this mystery. What can it mean? Is this some secret insider info? Should we find some more Dried Frog Pills?

Apropos Running Water: I get associations to the edge, it would be cool to see more of what lives on the edge, amongst the water falling, looking out into the universe and down on the turtle..

It's an association to a non discworld book with tenuous links to a new discworld book after raisin taxes as far as I'm led to believe. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 pm

You folks think that the Watch Tv Series will close the gap between Thud and Snuff/ISWM?
LilMaibe

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 am

Seems fitting. a 6 year gap? Nice space for it. ofcourse Making money took place during that time, as did UA :D
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Hvitveis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
Hvitveis wrote:I am studying for exams, so my brain will not let go of this mystery. What can it mean? Is this some secret insider info? Should we find some more Dried Frog Pills?

It's an association to a non discworld book with tenuous links to a new discworld book after raisin taxes as far as I'm led to believe. :lol:

Sight. I guess I'll have to wait for any more info like most of the rest of the world...Waiting, waiting. Good for character-building. :roll:
Hvitveis

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:39 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Seems fitting. a 6 year gap? Nice space for it. ofcourse Making money took place during that time, as did UA :D

By the way: Is there any word of good how much time passed between Thud, MM and UA? Both MM and UA didn't strike me as being set much more than a few months after Thud and then Snuff after a 4 year break (not to mention ISWM), but then again there is stuff basically out of nowhere in UA (trollcabs, a booming fashion-industry (as in enough to have 'i wanna be famous' be a thing) and stuff.) The timeline seems full of holes...

(Seriously, Lobsang did a marvellous job repairing the timeline. Thumbs up, man :violin: )
LilMaibe

Postby Hvitveis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:23 pm

I think all these things that appear in UU like fashion and troll cabs have been growing slowly over the years, outside of the stories told. That is one of the things that I so like about the Discworld: stuff happens all the time even if we do not see it. (and one of my dissapointments about the tv movies/series made: no sense of life in the background) They would not appear in Thud: Vimes do not strike me as a very fashion concious man, and since he would rather "drive" his sedan chair himself, I do not see him taking a troll cab anytime soon. And Moist is too busy being Moist in MM ( I suspect Mdme Sharn might have asked for a loan for the development of micromail.. ;) )
Hvitveis

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:59 pm

If i remember right, the Clacks kind of came out of no where as well. and the dis-organizer if it comes to that.

fantasy is a wonderful thing :D

as for time frame. i kind of got that impression as well, but its hard to tell. Men at arms is, according to dialouge about 8 months after Guards guards, and Feet of clay 2 years after gg, i believe. may be wrong.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby raisindot » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:14 pm

LilMaibe wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:By the way: Is there any word of good how much time passed between Thud, MM and UA?

Hard to tell, but I would imagine that the timeframe between Thud and MM wasn't more than a year, given that in MM Vetinari's whole purpose for installing Moist at the bank was to free up capital to be used for the exploration and development of the abandoned dwarf tunnels beneath the city. Since in MM there's absolutely no mention by Adora Belle about the refinancing of the clacks company or the renovation of the system, one could assume that all of this has already occurred and Adora Belle has plenty of money in pocket (otherwise, she wouldn't have been able to lease the dwarf land; one assumes that the Golem Trust money isn't completely funded by the golems themselves, although one never knows).

Between MM and UA it's harder to tell. By events in the book it does seem that the golem horses have been in use for awhile. The main "timeframe indicator" that I see is when Vimes mentions that he has been spending many months negotiating the peace treaty between the Dwarfs and Trolls. I might guess that no more than two years have passed between the end of Thud and the end of UA. But, again, that's speculation at best. All the other things that happen in UA--the street futball matches, the rise of dwarf fashions and trolls' interest in cosmetics--could have been happening all along in the city (or at least since the end of TFE).
raisindot

Postby Ziriath » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:12 pm

Like LilMaibe, I am not sure I'd want to read an another book set in the same reality as AU and MM (and I would add some things from The Truth and Thud) , cos these two books quite ruined Ankh-Morpork as a set for stories for me. (I like the underground project though).
I'd like to read a book set on Krull or in Pseudopolis.
Ziriath

Postby high eight » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:27 pm

raisindot wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:By the way: Is there any word of good how much time passed between Thud, MM and UA?

Hard to tell, but I would imagine that the timeframe between Thud and MM wasn't more than a year, given that in MM Vetinari's whole purpose for installing Moist at the bank was to free up capital to be used for the exploration and development of the abandoned dwarf tunnels beneath the city. Since in MM there's absolutely no mention by Adora Belle about the refinancing of the clacks company or the renovation of the system, one could assume that all of this has already occurred and Adora Belle has plenty of money in pocket (otherwise, she wouldn't have been able to lease the dwarf land; one assumes that the Golem Trust money isn't completely funded by the golems themselves, although one never knows).

Between MM and UA it's harder to tell. By events in the book it does seem that the golem horses have been in use for awhile. The main "timeframe indicator" that I see is when Vimes mentions that he has been spending many months negotiating the peace treaty between the Dwarfs and Trolls. I might guess that no more than two years have passed between the end of Thud and the end of UA. But, again, that's speculation at best. All the other things that happen in UA--the street futball matches, the rise of dwarf fashions and trolls' interest in cosmetics--could have been happening all along in the city (or at least since the end of TFE).

The Discworld timeline is..... flexible. Terry is no Tolkien obsessively building worlds within worlds and referring back again and again to make sure he has everything spot-on.

Personally I don't think it matters that much, but then I've never been one to pick a book to pieces until all that is left are bones. I'm no obsessive/compulsive when it comes to reading matter.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:43 am

high eight wrote:
The Discworld timeline is..... flexible. Terry is no Tolkien obsessively building worlds within worlds and referring back again and again to make sure he has everything spot-on.

Wasn't it a point of ToT (Thief of Time) that the fussy timeline got fixed. As in -It broke once and we couldn't put it back together again correctly, but now we have the son of time/time itself doing that-? Correct me if I am wrong.
But even if not, even Sir Terry has always kept some consistency in his stories. A consistency that seems to lack in MM and UA. Unfortunately.
(I mentioned it before, but I can't help but wonder if, for example, Last Continent would, no, could have taken place in the same reality as UA. But I digress)
LilMaibe

Postby high eight » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:26 am

LilMaibe wrote:
high eight wrote:

Wasn't it a point of ToT (Thief of Time) that the fussy timeline got fixed.As in -It broke once and we couldn't put it back together again correctly, but now we have the son of time/time itself doing that-? Correct me if I am wrong.

Only roughly - there are still gaps. And why not? It is a good excuse for Terry to not have to keep tons of charts and notes.

LilMaibe wrote:But even if not, even Sir Terry has always kept some consistency in his stories. A consistency that seems to lack in MM and UA. Unfortunately.

I think you are letting your dislike of UA become an obsession. And why are you criticising Making Money and not Going Postal?

LilMaibe wrote:(I mentioned it before, but I can't help but wonder if, for example, Last Continent would, no, could have taken place in the same reality as UA. But I digress)

Don't see why not.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books