After Snuff.....

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: After Snuff.....

Postby rferrett » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 pm

I have just finished re-reading "I Shall Wear Midnight".

In the last meeting between Tiffany and Eskarina Smith, Eskarina mentions in what appears to be a throwaway comment "I have to save my son" with no proper explanation.

I am sure that TP would not have just put something like that in by accident so I reckon we will hear something more about that in future.

FB
rferrett

Postby pip » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Here's an interesing theory i read on Eskarinas son -
Esk clearly states during the showdown with the Cunning Man

I must protect my son

This is the only reference in the book to her child.

It's tempting to asume that Simon is the father, but a little bit of me (the bit that likes to make logical connective jumps) is thinking:

Esk learnt to manipulate Time and slice Time down to the "Travelling Now" - which from inference in other books we know is a pretty small slice (but not the smallest, which is the Universal Tick - acheive this and you halt everything in a changeless eternal Now.) She can travel up and down the timelines of the Disc as she pleases - she specifies by "walking".

A little thought and back-referencing to Thief of Time suggests that she perhaps studied Time so well that for a period she became one with it - becoming the incarnation of Time who meets the Hubland mystic Wen The Eternally Surprised and has a child/not-twins with him, called Lobsang Ludd and Jeremy Clockson.

At this point in I Shall Wear Midnight, is she sensing that she must return to Ankh-Morpork in the Now of the Glass Clock, to protect her son and help him integrate into his new single personality? It would also explain how Wen knew where to go for a very good midwife to expedite the births of Lobsang/Jeremy: Esk would have known about Nanny Ogg from her days of visiting other Ramtops witches in the company of Granny.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Interesting as she has clearly reached a high skill of time slicing in ISWM so you never know :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Oberon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm

I'd love to see a book featuring Eskarina Smith. She's a great character.
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” (Terry Pratchett).
Oberon

Postby MrsWizzard » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:32 pm

I think it's blatantly obvious who I'm rooting for the next book to be about....

Say what you will, I will NEVER get tired of a good Rincewind story :P
"Talk to the paw, mister, 'cos the whiskers don't want to know!!"
MrsWizzard

Postby One Man Bucket » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:52 pm

I reckon he's done as much as he can with the Watch without taking the focus of Vimes. A Witches book would be nice but I believe he's run out of things that can challenge Granny. In the end I'd have to agree with MrsWizzard that a Rincewind book seems best. Another Moist book would I think be a bit too soon after the last one.
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby Willem » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:00 pm

My money's on Moist though - Raising Taxes seems likely.

Feet of Clay and Jingo were both Watch books and only one book between them - there's two between Making Money and the next book :)
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:22 pm

That's the next Discworld planned one according to what was said by Terry at Hogwatch in November Willem.

@ Oberon that would be good to see Eskarina again but somehow I don't think that will happen with all that is planned in the next 5 years.

@Mrs Wizzard I do like Rincewind you know he is going to get into scrapes and run away alot but save the day in the end. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:10 am

rferrett wrote:I have just finished re-reading "I Shall Wear Midnight".

In the last meeting between Tiffany and Eskarina Smith, Eskarina mentions in what appears to be a throwaway comment "I have to save my son" with no proper explanation.

I am sure that TP would not have just put something like that in by accident so I reckon we will hear something more about that in future.

FB

Yeah, i thought the exact same thing. to me, this, and the issue of taxes and the undertaking are clear set ups for future books.

and it should be noted that the Esk set up comes from a young adult book, so chances are the pay off book to that will also be a YA book and most likely the son will be the main character.

and on the timeline issue, i take it all in stride. i see nothing that really stands out enough for me to cry foul and not just simply consider it all to be both in the same timeline and happening one book after another.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Hvitveis » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:47 am

On Amazon.co.uk, it says that "untitled new" will come out the 6th of september from Doubleday Children..
Hvitveis

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Then you will have another Discworld book through a link to Dodger titled Running Water. :mrgreen: :dance:
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Hvitveis » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Then you will have another Discworld book through a link to Dogger titled Running Water. :mrgreen: :dance:

Sorry, that one went over my head..(might be because I just woke up from siesta, and brain loading is a bit slow still...)
Hvitveis

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Hvitveis wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:Then you will have another Discworld book through a link to Dogger titled Running Water. :mrgreen: :dance:

Sorry, that one went over my head..(might be because I just woke up from siesta, and brain loading is a bit slow still...)

You're not alone - I haven't a clue what he's on about either. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Hvitveis » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Maybe it some sort of scottish code? ;) Or he has just gone Bursar?
Hvitveis

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Nope just a factual bit of info I found out some time ago and logged it into my phone at the time and forgot about it. :lol: but you don't have to believe me. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books