Long Earth Cover

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Long Earth Cover

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 am

Looks good :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Re: Long Earth Cover

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:07 am

Looking forward to this one.
Alternate History stuff in most of its forms has always been a weakness of mine :D
(I just hope the book won't sink in the number of other fictions with that base-theme that came out in the past 25 years :( )
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:20 am

At the moment I don't know enough about the book to decide how I feel about it. The cover looks interesting and I'll certainly get the book when it comes out. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:08 am

Amazon provides the following in addition :) :

The possibilities are endless (just be careful what you wish for...)

1916: the Western Front, France. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong, and the wind in the leaves in the trees. Where has the mud, blood and blasted landcape of No man's Land gone?

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Cop MonicaJansson has returned to the burned-out home of one Willis Linsay, a reclusive and some said mad, others dangerous, scientist. It was arson but, as is often the way, the firemen seem to have caused more damage than the fire itself. Stepping through the wreck of a house, there's no sign of any human remains but on the mantelpiece Monica finds a curious gadget - a box, containing some wiring, a three-way switch and a...potato. It is the prototype of an invention that Linsay called a 'stepper'. An invention he put up on the web for all the world to see, and use, an invention that would to change the way mankind viewed his world Earth for ever. And that's an understatement if ever there was one...

...because the stepper allowed the person using it to step sideways into another America, another Earth, and if you kept on stepping, you kept on entering even more Earths...this is the Long Earth. It's our our Earth but one of chain of parallel worlds, lying side by side each differing from its neighbour by really very little (or actually quite a lot). It's an infinite chain, offering 'steppers' an infinite landscape of infinite possibilities. And the further away you travel, the stranger - and sometimes more dangerous - the Earths get. The sun and moon always shine, the basic laws of physics are the same. However, the chance events which have shaped our particular Earth, such as the dinosaur-killer asteroid impact, might not have happened and things may well have turned out rather differently.

But, until Willis Linsay invented his stepper, only our Earth hosted mankind...or so we thought. Because it turns out there are some people who are natural 'steppers', who don't need his invention and now the great migration has begun...
LilMaibe

Postby pip » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:45 am

Sounds quite interesting. Not your typical alternate history book :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:40 am

So, it's Sliders then? Well I'll obviously read it, I'll just have to put Sliders out of my head first :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby DaveC » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 am

Dotsie wrote:So, it's Sliders then? Well I'll obviously read it, I'll just have to put Sliders out of my head first :lol:

Love Slider's hoping they keep the Professor :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am

I loved Sliders too - it amused me to realise that Jerry O'Connell was the fat kid in Stand By Me. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:56 am

Thankfully never watched sliders so i won't be confused :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Am looking forward to this one - I may even spring for the hardback! :shock:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Slider was my first thought, too (Loved it till they brought in those aliens...why?!). But we'll see how it is handled :)
Though I won't be able to get the hardcover (again) so I hope hardcover and paperback come out within only a short amount of time.
LilMaibe

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm underwhelmed by the concept and won't be rushing out to get it. The concept seems a bit done to death.

It will be interesting to see if its narrative style mimics that of Pterry's more recent DW novels. My guess is that it won't because, as a non-DW book, it may be subject to a higher degree of editorial scrutiny since it's aimed for a broader audience. But we shall see.
raisindot

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:43 pm

raisindot wrote:I'm underwhelmed by the concept and won't be rushing out to get it. The concept seems a bit done to death.

What I worried, too. 25 years ago the concept was pretty new, but since then...sliders, the quantum mirrors in stargate, fringe etc.
Let's hope the best.
LilMaibe

Postby Willem » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:25 pm

New Pratchett book = auto-buy :)
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Looking forward to this! :D I've forgotten when it's due out here. I'll have to take a look.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Next

Return to Latest books