Havelock Vetenari and the Crossword Lady *Spoiler for Snuff*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Havelock Vetenari and the Crossword Lady *Spoiler for Sn

Postby Nullus Anxietas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Thank you, it's about time I came here.
Nullus Anxietas

Postby Archaeologist » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:37 am

I extend my welcome to the new member, insofar as another new member can do so. :D

Vetinari has always seemed to me to be the Disc's version of Sherlock Holmes. If anyone's read the Holmes stories, I think you'd agree they are very much alike - that's why Vetinari bursting into laugher is something I really love about the character (I only know V from the later novels), because I'm already used to the idea of a sexless, ever-calculating character finding something, every so often, completely hilarious. For someone construed as emotionless, Sherlock laughs an awful lot.

I like the idea of Vetinari being in a non-sexual, psuedo-romantic relationship with Lady M. By pseudo-romantic, I mean he might hold a torch for her, but in the only way someone like Vetinari could. As for the Crossword Lady, it seems to me he simply enjoys having a perfectly harmless sparring partner. It might be fun for a guy like him to play a mind game in such a safe setting. Why would he laugh when he finds he's beaten her? And he acts like I do when I lose at Poker with Monopoly money - aww! Dang - this is fun, let's play again. Has anyone here read the Holmes story, A Scandal in Bohemia? The Crossword Lady is Vetinari's Irene Adler! :lol:
Archaeologist

Postby Nullus Anxietas » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:32 pm

I think it was in UA, the crossword lady was mentioned too. Vetenari suspects the petshop woman is now in charge of the crosswords because she used to win first prize(or something like that) but her name now no longer comes up as a winner.
Nullus Anxietas

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:32 am

I know she was first mentioned awhile ago. but don't remember which book. talking about him getting a word, but the only people that knew it was the editor of the crossword, vetinari, and some woman that runs a pet shop who needed to be watched.

I smiled a bit that A) she BECAME the editor of the crossword, and B) there seems to be a competition between her and Vetinari.

And I do think he was genuinely mad, but remember these things often start that way.

As far as Lady Margolotta, They were together in the past (and not just platonically), Thanks to the Grand Sneer, but just keep in contact now.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Ziriath » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Maybe we will never know- it could be like a relationship between Esme Weatherwax and Mustrum Ridcully.
Let him catch a (female) unicorn, and we will see.
Ziriath

Postby alicenanjing » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:31 am

Are there any female unicorns? And no, don't say there must be, this is mythical beasts territory, they can be of only one gender if they like. Even on Discworld, the only one I've come across had escaped from the paralel universe of the elves, so all bets (and rules) are off and the axiom "only one of something doesn't work" does not apply. Maybe there's only one, in a separate dimension, all alone, standing between two mirrors, and sending images of itself across the multiverse in search of others as lonely as itself.
alicenanjing

Previous

Return to Latest books