Saturday Controvesy

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Saturday Controvesy

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:08 pm

I am but a simple man with simple pleasures. The first and foremost reason I read TP (again and again) is because he makes me laugh. Any insighful comments on the human condition are an added bonus, but basically I like his gags. :lol:

This is completely subjective, but I like Lost Continent, Soul Music and Pyramids more than Nightwatch, Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment. The former three have jokes on every page, whereas the latter three don't.

To counterbalance the seriousness of Nation, I believe Unseen Academicals will be a light-hearted, gag-filled, bubblegum of a novel which I'm looking forward to immensely, because I love football and the wizards (how can anybody dislike Lost Continent with the Mono island bit?). However, I believe some people on this site might not be overly impressed with UA for the exactly the same reasons.

Discuss.
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Saturday Controvesy

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:10 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Discuss.
No! :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28684
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Saturday Controvesy

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Tonyblack wrote:No! :P


Wimp! :lol:
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:29 pm

What's there to discuss? You are perfectly correct - some people like the funniness of the books and other people like "insightful comments on the human condition" and some people like them both. If you didn't like either then you've probably not bothered to join a Terry Pratchett message board. :lol:

I'll reserve my opinions of UA until I read it. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28684
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:05 pm

*Taps fingers wating for UA* There's no other way you'd get me talking sensibly about footie :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10479
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Re: Saturday Controvesy

Postby Trish » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:46 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:The first and foremost reason I read TP (again and again) is because he makes me laugh. Any insighful comments on the human condition are an added bonus, but basically I like his gags. :lol:

This is completely subjective, but I like Lost Continent, Soul Music and Pyramids more than Nightwatch, Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment. The former three have jokes on every page, whereas the latter three don't.

Discuss.


Okay.

TP's gags are the human condition. We humans are silly, vain things and Terry has a ball pointing out our self-righteousness to us.

I disagree that Small Gods isn't stuffed full of gags. Look at Brother Nimrod.
"What an idiot" was my first impression of him, but he's very, very human and very typical, not just of clergy.

Brutha himself is a joke. He's big, clumsy and stupid in his own special way. Brutha has no social skills; can't lie or prevaricate at all. He is a complete innocent. Yet, because of his innocence and Zoon-like honesty, he becomes Omnia's leader. Wouldn't it be nice....

MR took a few readings to grow on me. TP's "gag" in this one (I think, but that and 2-bucks will get you a cup of coffee) is War itself. The nature of, the attention to, the wastefulness of. Etcetera.
However, don't hold me to that assessment of MR. Yet.

NW: the Watch of back-then is a joke, they were typical cops trying not to get killed. Or spit upon.
Nobby and his spoon are precious.


Night Watch's first 20 pages read "differently" than the rest of the book in language usage and tone.
I would like swreader's take on this.
Trish
Member
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Wintersville, Ohio

Postby Tiffany » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:37 pm

Tonyblack wrote:What's there to discuss? You are perfectly correct - some people like the funniness of the books and other people like "insightful comments on the human condition" and some people like them both. If you didn't like either then you've probably not bothered to join a Terry Pratchett message board. :lol:

I'll reserve my opinions of UA until I read it. :wink:


Same here, Tony. :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
User avatar
Tiffany
Member
 
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 am
Location: Devon

Re: Saturday Controvesy

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:04 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Discuss.


LMAO you are so cute Pooh, that reminds me of the Jewish mother bit done by Mike Meyers from Saturday Night Live. Too Cute, :hugglesy wugglesy: :P :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Re: Saturday Controvesy

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Trish wrote:(I think, but that and 2-bucks will get you a cup of coffee)


Only at McDonalds now... :cry:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Meh, what can I say, I am writing in between wonderful loads of laundry and listening to my mother talk aboot putting me Step-Da in a VA home due to dementia, so if I seem a bit "off the cuff" or just plain goofy mark it down to that. :sigh:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Re: Saturday Controvesy

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:01 am

poohbcarrot wrote:I believe Unseen Academicals will be a light-hearted, gag-filled, bubblegum of a novel


My apologies for the above quote, what I should have said was:

"Wizards play football?! THEY SAID IT COULD NEVER HAPPEN!! A gag-packed, rip-roaring rollercoaster of a novel set in the backdrop of a worlde gone madde! With 1,000 elephants!!!"
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:42 am

:lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10479
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Pooh, you goof. :lol:

I read TP for escapism too, and I love that his books make me laugh out loud. I love those absolutely priceless one-liners he zings at you. But, I have to say, that I don't think it makes me like the more serious ones less, because they provide just as much escapism for me.
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6656
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Postby Batty » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:32 pm

I read TP for pure entertainment and escapism.

I do enjoy the jokes, buut I prefer Nightwatch to Pyramids, as Terry now tells a cracking yarn, when his early books seemed to use the storyline as a tool to link one gag to another.

I don't analyse the books too much, as it would (for me) take away the fun and enjoyment of the escapism.
Studying involves a level of intensity that inhibits imagination and relaxation.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
User avatar
Batty
Member
 
Posts: 4654
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: East Anglia

Postby Dotsie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:40 pm

I've had a think about my most & least favourite books, & they seem to be a fairly even mixture. So that's me out of a potentially interesting bun fight then!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9412
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Next

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests