Who was Terry thinking about...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Who was Terry thinking about...

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:51 pm

When Terry wrote Thud! and introduced the curator of the Art Gallery, was he thinking of Brian Sewell?

I must admit he was who I thought of when I read it. :lol:

The video is worth watching as Sewell is such a pompous arse. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:57 pm

THAT VIDEO LASTS FOR OVER 4 MINUTES!

After 30 seconds I realised he was a pompous arse. I'm not going to watch the next four minutes of him arsing around pompously! :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I thought you were actually talking about Brian Somebodyorother, a football commentator - there are actually more tedious pompous prats around than you'd think. :twisted:

I do know this Sewell chaps now I know who you mean and he makes everything he talks about dull :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:19 pm

It's uncanny! What an ass and a half
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:27 pm

The funny thing was I was watching the BBC iPlayer and they had a program about TV experts. They had interviewed Brian and he was rubbishing all these experts such as Magnus Pike, Patrick Moore and David Bellamy saying that they had only been chosen because they were buffoons so people would laugh at them.

Try looking in the mirror sometime Brian. :lol:

Can you imagine Fred Colon and Nobby meeting this guy? :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: Who was Terry thinking about...

Postby alicenanjing » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:30 am

He's certainly the best candidate that I'm aware of. I didn't even know one could get quite like that, but then, it takes all sorts. One thing though: he doesn't look at the camera with his nostrils. And you can occasionally understand what he says. But he has the pompous thing down pat.
alicenanjing

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:41 pm

In all fairness Brian Sewell is terrifically knowledgeable about his subject - and can be very funny - that's not to say that I agree with his opinions mind
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:48 pm

I have long nurtured a hope that Sir Terry would write a discworld novel satirising the art establishment - it is ripe for it - I can just see CMOT Dibbler purveying dodgy modern art "Its not an actual meat pie - more a conceptual one" and the nobility clutching their pearls over anything abstract "Don't call that art, looks like a Johnny with two heads - what?"
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby Oberon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:57 pm

I read that Sir T pictured Pete Poselthwaite when he created Sam Vimes and that he would like Alan Rickman to play Lord Vetinari.
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” (Terry Pratchett).
Oberon

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Alan Rickman would be brilliant as Vetinari - even more brilliant than Charles Dance, certainly than Jeremy Irons. :D

It's like Sean Connery and James Bond - other people can play him but you can't really believe they'd be a killer, or a kickass assassin :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Vimes for me will always be John Thaw/Inspector Regan from the Sweeney, so much so that i'm amazed TP didn't have him in mind
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Oberon wrote:I read that Sir T pictured Pete Poselthwaite when he created Sam Vimes and that he would like Alan Rickman to play Lord Vetinari.

Exactly who I have in mind when I read him (Rickman I mean - I always hear Vimes as Philip Jackson on account of the radio production
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Anyone think Cumberbatch would make a good De Worde?
Fortune Clutterbuck

Postby Oberon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Fortune Clutterbuck wrote:Anyone think Cumberbatch would make a good De Worde?

Yes. I wouldn't have unless you'd pointed it out but I think he'd be a great choice.
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” (Terry Pratchett).
Oberon

Postby Oberon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Alan Rickman would be brilliant as Vetinari - even more brilliant than Charles Dance, certainly than Jeremy Irons. :D

Of course it could be said that Rickman has been playing Vetinari for years in his portrayal of Snape in the Harry Potter films.

Oberon

Next

Return to Discworld novels