Why Are The US Discworld Book Covers Absolute Pants?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:45 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:I thought the guy with the pipe was meant to be Albert. What did Modo do in Reaperman?

He got et by his compost heaps. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:01 pm

These are the Dutch covers for Going Postal, Feet of clay, Lords and Ladies and Thud! Josh Kirby´s and Paul Kidby's artwork is used.
Sjoerd3000

Postby kakaze » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:03 pm

In the picture, Carrot's too thin and Ramkin's too evil, but carrot did wear a Protective, and Ramkin did wear a ginger wig and low-cut nightgown.

I'm pretty sure the guy smoking the pipe is Modo. Didn't he smoke a pipe to protect himself from the smell of his glowing compost?

The girl on Binky could be Ms. Flitworth after she died. Didn't she revert to a younger version of herself, or am I getting her mixed up with the witch who died in Soul Music?

And why should you be angry at the cover artist for drawing four eyes when the character in the book has four eyes? I was more annoyed with Pratchett for getting a little carried away making Twoflower seem strange and exotic.
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:08 pm

kakaze wrote:
And why should you be angry at the cover artist for drawing four eyes when the character in the book has four eyes? I was more annoyed with Pratchett for getting a little carried away making Twoflower seem strange and exotic.
It was a misunderstanding apparently. Terry meant that Twoflower was wearing glasses - no one in A-M had seen them before so that's how they described Twoflower. Josh took Terry literally and drew him with four actual eyes. :lol:

Annotations on LSpace wrote:- [p. 16/16] "[...] found himself looking up into a face with four eyes in it."

On the covers of the first two Discworld books, Josh Kirby actually drew Twoflower with four physical eyes. Consensus on alt.fan.pratchett has it that Terry was trying to get across the fact that Twoflower was wearing glasses ('four-eyes' being a common insult thrown at bespectacled folks), but that Josh Kirby simply triggered on the literal text and went off in a direction of his own. Whether this action essentially shows Kirby's interpretative genius (the KirbyFan explanation) or his inability to get the joke / read very carefully (the NonKirbyFan explanation) is a matter still under discussion.
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:16 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the Lords and Ladies Josh Kirby cover.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:20 pm

I think you're right pooh - or at least not the Josh Kirby UK cover pic as there Erlking's different (those horns are more bullish than a stag's rack which are definitely on the UK copy)

Checked! :lol: definitely not the same cover as UK - that has Nanny & Casanunda on the title side and Erlking's on the spine complete with antlers and shaggy goaty legs and much more macho than portly... *goes to shower*
I'm not sure the non-Kidby covers are Kirby's actually - the women aren't quite right for him and the palette's off somehow as well?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:25 pm

according to the copyright the coverart is from Josh Kirby
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Ah well - Josh was a pretty versatile artist so he maybe tried alternative styles for other markets. I'm not saying it's not his just that the UK cover's different. :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:45 pm

I find it very interesting that the UK covers are different (or at least the Lords and Ladies cover) I always assumed they were the same now it turns out that the Dutch cover is unique! :wink:

How about the Men at arms cover? is it the same as the UK one?
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Yep - that's the same. :)

I know I've seen that Lords and Ladies cover before and it is indeed Kirby - I guess I must have seen it in the Netherlands. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:53 pm

I found this Lords and Ladies cover on the interweb to me it looks the same as the Dutch one so maybe there are two different UK covers?

This is the other one:
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:03 pm

:lol: No wonder it looked so familiar to me. It's the cover I have on my hardback. Here it is along with a scan of the back as well. :D
ImageImage
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:18 pm

And the copy of L&L that I have is the smaller of two - I think that is supposed to be Casanunda with Nanny?
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah looks like Casanunda and Nanny :wink:
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:Yeah looks like Casanunda and Nanny :wink:
:lol: Only by a process of elimination. Neither of them look anything like I imagine Nanny and Casanunda. :roll:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels