The year in pictures (2012)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The year in pictures (2012)

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Luv a Duck those photo's are right quackers. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby deldaisy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 pm

WOW! Loving the pictures people.

I went out west in central Queensland to pick up my brother once and there were miles and miles of sunflowers as far as the eye could see. When we were getting into the car my brother said to stand still and watch the flowers...... as we did suddenly giant sunflowers would waggle and PLOP! disappear.... another PLOP! disappear.... in fact ALOT of them. My brother explained that a good crop had brought a rat plague and the rats would run at the stems and knock them down to get to them to eat. Ewwwwww!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:36 am

I got back from the club competition but unfortunately did not do too well this time;

The judge sort of liked this one of Arundel Castle but said it needed a person doing something in the foreground (he likes people in his photos) and gave it 17 out of 20. He did say I should try selling it to a Sussex magazine though! :D

He thought this one too messy(?) with too much going on and not concentrating enough on the solitary swan. I was trying to be ironic calling it "Swan Lake". :lol: He did rightly point out that the swan was overexposed which also cost me a couple of points and it received 16.

This result did disappoint me........THE INCREDIBLE SINKING MAN!!!!! The first thing the judge said was, "It's a brave person who puts a sunset photo into a club competition" and was against it from the start (although there were a couple of criticisms that I sort of agreed with). It scored 15! :evil:

The winning entries were very good, by the way, and the overall standard was very high again so I'm not too surprised or unhappy at being beaten. :D

There is a team event coming up soon and I have forwarded the selection below to the team captain who will whittle them down. The team will then decide which ones go forward for the categories which are; Shadows, Macro, Street photography, Still Life, and Action. I think I'm pushing my luck a bit with my definition of 'Shadows', I have little in the way of 'Street' and absolutely nothing in the 'Action' photos category. :lol:

Anyway, if anyone is interested in seeing the pics I finally put forward, click on the link below;

https://picasaweb.google.com/1122367445 ... directlink
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:19 am

A score of 17 is good Penners and that guy in the background was doing something peeing in the hedge maybe :lol: he could not do it in the foreground you might have got arrested for taking a photo of it.

Your Mushroom snap was good a bit cramped for space though. ;) :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:06 am

One judge? That's crap, Penners. It means you are always trying to please one guy. I totally disagree with him about having people in photos - I personally avoid people in photos. It seems to me that the criticism is to much on a 'personal-like' basis and not technical merit.

The sunset criticism sounds to me like he's personally seen too many sunset pictures and therefore can't be bothered to look at any more. That's not a very professional or helpful attitude. What a tosser! :mrgreen:

I think they are excellent - and Sinking Man always makes me chuckle. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:27 am

Tonyblack wrote:One judge? That's crap, Penners. It means you are always trying to please one guy. I totally disagree with him about having people in photos - I personally avoid people in photos. It seems to me that the criticism is to much on a 'personal-like' basis and not technical merit.

The sunset criticism sounds to me like he's personally seen too many sunset pictures and therefore can't be bothered to look at any more. That's not a very professional or helpful attitude. What a tosser! :mrgreen:

I think they are excellent - and Sinking Man always makes me chuckle. :lol:

I agree with Tony, unless people are the subject of the photo I like to keep them out :D

Those new entries are fab, I like the little fun guy (surely that counts as having someone in the photo?). ;) :D
spideyGirl

Postby AuntyVague » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:33 am

Is it usual to have just one judge for these competions Penfold? It does sould like that means that it will enivitably all be about the personal taste of that individual. I like the swans - I think it is unusual to get such a sharp picture of so much going on.

As for your team entiries - good luck with those! I absolutely love 'The Gathering Storm' and (no surprises here) 'Life on the Edge' as well!
AuntyVague

Postby meerkat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 am

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Penners! I thought they were great!

I do agree with the shot of Arundel Castle, though. Very touristy! ;)
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 pm

I think they are all very good Penfold. Specially the Arundel Castle photo. The light is good, you have the added interest of the boats in the foreground, why on earth would you need a figure in it. I think the judge was wrong!
PS I love Arundel Castle.

Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks guys. :D

It is normal to have one judge (a different one each time from outside the club) and their personal tastes do come into it quite often although most tend to judge on technical ability and composition. Most judges, however, also try to provide constructive criticism which is very useful but not what last night's judge was particularly doing. Supposedly, they are also meant to ignore the mounts the photos are on (not everyone has the necessary equipment to do their own, or the money for a framing shop to do it) but this judge was also basing his scores on these as well (mine are done in a shop, btw).

I will still carry on trying to avoid people in my photos which should make the next practical evening interesting - it is a portrait night and they are getting a couple of models in for it (male and female, btw, and NOT nude). Rather than use the models posing, 'though, I might try and take candid shots of the photographers themselves. :lol:

Arundel Castle is great for photos and I keep promising myself that I will go into the grounds to try and get some different angles of it.

Great photo, btw, Tiff but you need a gardener digging a hole in the front of the scene. ;) :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Penfold wrote:Thanks guys. :D

It is normal to have one judge (a different one each time from outside the club) and their personal tastes do come into it quite often although most tend to judge on technical ability and composition. Most judges, however, also try to provide constructive criticism which is very useful but not what last night's judge was particularly doing. Supposedly, they are also meant to ignore the mounts the photos are on (not everyone has the necessary equipment to do their own, or the money for a framing shop to do it) but this judge was also basing his scores on these as well (mine are done in a shop, btw).

I will still carry on trying to avoid people in my photos which should make the next practical evening interesting - it is a portrait night and they are getting a couple of models in for it (male and female, btw, and NOT nude). Rather than use the models posing, 'though, I might try and take candid shots of the photographers themselves. :lol:

Arundel Castle is great for photos and I keep promising myself that I will go into the grounds to try and get some different angles of it.

Great photo, btw, Tiff but you need a gardener digging a hole in the front of the scene. ;) :lol:

HEHEHE! Penfold.
We, Daughter & I, spent a very enjoyable couple or three hours walking around the gardens & visiting the castle. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it. Not really her scene but she liked it too. I twisted her arm to go in. :lol:
I have other photo's, but they have all come out with too much green, new camera at the time & I didn't have it on the right setting, sadly.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Joolz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Two pictures of castles and no French soldiers shouting insults?
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries." :lol:
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Joolz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Penners and Tiff Brilliant pics
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Thank you, Joolz. It's the same castle, mine was taken inside the grounds. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Penners, you take no notice of the nasty man. That picture of the castle is perfect.

If it had a person in the foreground doing something, they'd bloody well have to be walking on water for a start! :mrgreen:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum