New Sony eReader

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Couldn't agree more Tony.

Chris.ph.Don't you find that the pages get a tad soggy.I certainly do as I never have a bath,only showers.
silverstreak

Postby Jinx » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:54 pm

WikiSource has a ton of books that have entered the public domain for reading. You have to be careful though, it takes longer for work to enter the public domain in the UK.
I forget how it goes exactly, I think it's 40 years from publishing or 7 years after author's death, whichever is later.

Just think though, there's a huge library of books out there that you can access with a few clicks. I have a small portion of my screen in work dedicated to WikiSource often, so that I can read when I think no one is looking.

Gods know I'd still prefer to turn the page than just scroll down a bit further.
Jinx

Postby Dotsie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:29 am

Most of my reading material comes from the library. I love to browse for ages, & I always leave with at least three. The downside is the state of the books - I wouldn't sniff a book from my library, there's always something sticky on the pages. Folded corners is the least of it! :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jinx » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 am

That reminds me of the time when I wasn't exactly dating my GF but we were heading that direction. She told me she had just started reading Stephen King's Dark Tower books, and I said I had them all. I told her they were good, but my protective and territorial side stopped me short of offering her my copies. Maybe I was thinking only of the books, or maybe I was trying to control the pace our relationship was moving in.
Either way it turned out to be the right choice because she kept either Song of Susannah or Wolves of the Callah in her bag and a bottle of fizzy juice had burst in the heat. Now all the pages are orange :!: :lol:
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:49 am

:shock: Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. :shock:

I've just about given up on loaning books at all. What I tend to do is pick up cheap duplicate copies of books I like and then give them to people. That's how I ended up with eight copies of Bernard Cornwell's 'Harliquin' - although, to be fair mostly it was due to my terrible memory of what I already had. :lol:

One I was in Tucson I got hold of a sort of cheque book which I thought was a great idea. The main part of each 'cheque' is a bookmark that you write your name and address etc. on and put it inside the book you are loaning. On the stub inside the book you write who you loaned it to and when.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:47 am

Tonyblack wrote:One I was in Tucson I got hold of a sort of cheque book which I thought was a great idea. The main part of each 'cheque' is a bookmark that you write your name and address etc. on and put it inside the book you are loaning. On the stub inside the book you write who you loaned it to and when.

Ook!
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:57 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Most of my books come from me taking an interest in a book and the Wife getting it for me as a gift! :lol: Cheaper than getting your own. Hat full of Sky, Going Postal and Making Money being the latest ones. :roll:
mspanners

Postby chris.ph » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:47 pm

bet youve got a joint account mspanner so you do pay for it really.
none olf my friends r dull enough to lend me books as i like to read in a hot bath and as i work on building sites my hands r still dirty . the hot water makes them sweaty and it tends to rub off on the books. the last three books ive been lent then sent me to borders to buy the owners new copies!
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jason » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:35 am

My dogs managed to get to one book I borrowed from a friend. It was not in what you might call great condition to start with but after the dog had eaten half of it I decided that a trip to the shop to replace it was in order.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:44 am

The worst is where you loan someone a book and then time goes by and you mention the fact and they say "what book?". :evil:

Or they say, yes it was great - I gave it to my friend to borrow. And then you have a sort of third party struggle reminding your friend to remind their friend that you want you book back!

Like I say, I don't bother these days.
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:40 pm

My old Springer Lucy eat the spine out of a limited edition car book by Porsche that I paid 70 squids for about 15 years ago.............I was not a happy chap but what can you do! Puppy dog eyes...........the Ex said it was my fault anyway for leaving it where She could get Her teeth into it! :shock:
On another note Just got Nation as a surprise from the Wife, picker her up from ASDA and good Girl there it was! 8)
mspanners

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:04 pm

i bought an expensive book on raising great danes and guess what yes thats right the bloody great dane in question ate it :evil:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jarmara » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:13 pm

Gee, you're all talking about real damage! I'm willing to execute anyone who returns one of my books having bent the spine back! :lol:
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Jinx » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:01 pm

If your dogs have developed a taste for books then perhaps your kids have been feeding them their homework. :lol:

That's not really that funny, :(
Jinx

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum