Most Developed Character?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Most Developed Character?

Postby Antiq » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:21 pm

I would have said DEATH. Has he appeared in every DW novel? Most of them anyway, and several as the main or a main character. He went from being rather cruel in The Colour Of Magic to being romantic, drunk, party-goer, employee, almost not DEATH, adoptive dad, pleader for the cause of mankind, cat lover and general all-round sensitive guy with a soft heart - or whatever functions as a heart :lol: - And Vimes.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Teppic » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Vimes has developed gradually over a series of books. His development has been a human one, organic and through his own actions. Same with Cheery and Detritus, Granny and Magrat, and Susun.

The changes we see in Vetinari and Death, on the other hand, are much more literary necessaities. Both were stock characters in the early books. CoM needed a ruthless dictator to get Rincewind out of the City and not much thought was given to that character and Death was needed as, well, Death. As soon as they become big characters in their own right they both become instantly unrecognisable from their earlier incarnations. They didn't develop into the characters they become in quite the same way Vimes has.
Teppic

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:56 pm

I think the only one is Snuff he has not been in.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Death was not in Wee Free Men. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Oberon » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:16 am

I'd like to put in a word for Willikins, Sam Vimes butler. He first demonstrated his darker side in "Jingo" when he became a sergeant in the Lord Venturi's Heavy Infantry and we learnt about his street-gang past in "Thud" where he effortlessly disposes of a couple of dwarves who were invading Vimes' house. By "SNUFF" he had become a major character, firmly established as an efficient and ruthless fighter and killer.
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” (Terry Pratchett).
Oberon

Postby gribeaux » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:48 pm

I agree with the main protagonists mentioned above, but can I submit Ridcully? From a total buffoon he has proven to have a brother (Hughnon, the Bishoppy type), a mother who Worries, to have been the not-quite-lover of Granny Weatherwax, (unless i've got me wizards in a knot again...it was him, I'm sure...), . I grant you that he is still bluff and bullying, but ha has been shown to have many good qualities, and hidden depths.

Oh, and Magrat- Wet Hen to Queen and Supermum, with a little light witchery on the side.
gribeaux

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:08 am

again I concur vimes has had the most developed journey in the books,
Granny would be 2nd
detritus is the 3rd best developed character, unfortunately I cant comment on tiffany I can not keep my interest in her after hatful of sky but thats just me :shifty:
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:17 pm

I have to concur with Vimes. Vimes is, in practically every sense terry's mary sue (or marty stu or whatever), its his avatar. you see that all along. especially in his interactions with sybil. you can see real life seeping in and filling the Sam Vimes mold. its not just the adding of backstory, but that sam learns. i've pointed it out in other threads but you can see this constant stream of cross references showing him becoming great. how he blinds himself with a match in men at arms, then uses that to get the drop on the bandits in the fifth elephant, and similar actions.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Previous

Return to Discworld novels