Amazon Takes Back Orwell Books from Reader's Kindle

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Should books be "kindlized" and if so does the seller have the right to retrieve the book without notice?

No - Down with Kindle. I want "real books!"
52%
Yes - failing to modernize is refusing to use technology .
5%
Yes, BUT - once you've bought and paid for it, the Kindle copy is as much yours as a paper copy.
43%

Total votes : 21

Amazon Takes Back Orwell Books from Reader's Kindle

Postby swreader » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:58 am

Let me start by saying that I am old-fashioned enough to want an honest to god paper & ink book that I can hold in my hands. However, I was looking at some articles on the new developments in this type of technology--slimmer "books" or "kindles"

(By the way-- why Kindle? what kind of a name for a type of book is that? :shock: )

But apparently Amazon has the capability of removing your bought and paid for (and any notes you may have added to it though I have no idea how you wuld do that) without notice. It would be Orwell that this shows up with.

An article in today's NY Times begins "In George Orwell’s “1984,” government censors erase all traces of news articles embarrassing to Big Brother by sending them down an incineration chute called the “memory hole.”

It seems that Amazon didn't have the legal right to sell that book. But what about the rights of the purchasers? This is scary when you think about it. To read the whole article, look HERE

What do you think? Should books be "kindlized" and if so does the seller have the right to retrieve the book without notice?
swreader

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:24 am

no. simply No.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby chuckie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:07 am

I've voted for full ownership rights. Dosn't matter if it's a proper book or a digital version, if you have paid for it, it's yours. Also, can't see why anyone else should have access to a persons Kindle, or any other type of digital device.
Having said that, I prefer a real book.
chuckie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:06 am

I'm for real books - there's just something about the way they look, feel and even smell. But I'm not against the digital format and can see the advantage - heck it a Star Trek Padd - how can I be against that? :lol:

But if you purchase something in good faith, it becomes your property and I don't see how they can demand it back. The irony of it being Orwell's books is particularly funny. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:17 am

Sharlene, you asked why it was called "Kindle" - according to this article it's from the word that means to set fire to or to arouse.

Set fire to is a bit of an unfortunate connection to book-burning if you ask me. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:40 am

Setting fire to books is the most heinous crime in civilised cultures :evil:

One of my 'favourite' scenes in the Indiana Jones series is in the Kristallnacht section in the Holy Grail where the Nazis are burning books (selectively I believe but that's beside the point) - the baddie femme fatale cries even though she's a fully paid up member of the party because she too abhors what's going on. First time I saw that I almost couldn't breathe for a combination of horror and outrage because it wasn't a story - it really happened.

So Kindle - not a great choice of name and the whole idea of having a book/magazine/newspaper that will only display one 'page' at a time is to me an utterly horrible idea. Much is made of these displaying in an scaleable typesize so it's takes into account people's myopia or whatever - lovely idea except you presumably have to be scrolling or clicking to another screen every ten seconds or so if you're particularly short-sighted, as the handheld screen can't physically display that much text - boring and also impractical to the point on non-functionality.

15 - 20 years ago we were told to expect the 'paperless' office any day - load of cobblers! people NEED to hold something that isn't going to strain their eyes, heat up or vibrate slightly in their hand or hum, v. quietly maybe, but still annoyingly all the time - you certainly wouldn't want to take it to bed with you (where I do all my reading now)

So I wouldn't have one of these silly things even if I was paid to take it off their hands. Just another stupid gadget and another nail in the coffin of a tangible and diverse pleasure. And that's not even touching on the issue the editing of someone's thoughts and creativity - it's just so wrong I can barely form words to describe how ugly and horrific that is.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:12 pm

I prefer real books. The smell of a new book when you first start reading it is great.
How could I skim pages or jump chapters when I'm looking for a quote or particular event on a machine? I couldn't, but a real book is adaptable to the reader.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:12 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Setting fire to books is the most heinous crime in civilised cultures :evil:

So I wouldn't have one of these silly things even if I was paid to take it off their hands. Just another stupid gadget and another nail in the coffin of a tangible and diverse pleasure. And that's not even touching on the issue the editing of someone's thoughts and creativity - it's just so wrong I can barely form words to describe how ugly and horrific that is.

I Agree Wholeheartedly! Books are knowledge, knowledge is Power and therefore should never be destroyed.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:46 pm

I can see the point of a kindle especially on a long flight, like if your going to a convention you don't want to be taking books with you to read, as like me I tend to bring a load back with me. But at the price they are charging I would not bother as you can buy a lot of books for £200 pounds.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Re: Amazon Takes Back Orwell Books from Reader's Kindle

Postby Trish » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:05 am

swreader wrote:What do you think? Should books be "kindlized" and if so does the seller have the right to retrieve the book without notice?

No, and Shakespeare shouldn't have been Bowlderized, either.
But he was and his works withstood the ultimate test.

Maybe it's time to boycott Amazon and tell them why.
Trish

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:37 am

I have read this whole thread twice and don't understand it. What is a "kindle" book?
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:28 am

poohbcarrot wrote:I have read this whole thread twice and don't understand it. What is a "kindle" book?

Kindle is an electronic book system sold by Amazon. You can buy books from Amazon in a Kindle format that is uploaded to your Kindle reader via your computer in much the same way that an MP3 recording is.

In this particular case Kindle sold copies of Orwell's 'Animal Farm' from a company that didn't have the rights to it. What really surprised Kindle owners was that the book was remotely deleted from their Kindle readers. :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:35 am

Tonyblack wrote:In this particular case Kindle sold copies of Orwell's 'Animal Farm' from a company that didn't have the rights to it. What really surprised Kindle owners was that the book was remotely deleted from their Kindle readers. :evil:

They can't be allowed to do that, it's an invasion of privacy AND theft!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Batty » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:42 am

Mmm. So, all electronic book systems are equal, but some are more equal than others?

I loved Animal Farm when I read it whilst at school. It should be compulsory reading for all school children.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:03 pm

i read both ebooks and paper books, and if they remotely took the books back off me i would sue them for theft ,plus i didnt know they could break into your reader without permission thats a bloody disgrace and an invasion of privacy. i bet if you walked into amazon without permission and took a book you would be done for trespass and theft ,there is no difference :evil: :evil:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to The Broken Drum