Starhyke - new SciFi Comedy (apparently)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Starhyke - new SciFi Comedy (apparently)

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:17 pm

http://www.geektown.co.uk/2011/12/12/sh ... -starhyke/ (CLICK THIS FOR A VIDEO)

Tired of waiting for the Red Dwarf series X? This might be just the thing to help fill the long wait till Autumn 2012!

Starring Claudia Christian (Babylon 5), Jeremy Bulloch (Star Wars), Starhyke is a sci-fi comedy set in the year 3034, when the human race has suppressed all forms of emotion. So when the Reptids (the only unconquered alien race in our galaxy) threaten to release a weapon to reawaken human emotion, it’s up to Captain Blowhard (Christian) and her increasingly inept crew to travel back in time to stop them from changing the past and altering our future forever. Now plagued by uncontrollable emotions, the crew of the Nemesis find not-so practical ways of coping, whilst Dr Striker (Bulloch) looks for a cure in the most unusual places…

The show is also packed full of familiar sci-fi stars. Claudia Christian, best known as Commander Susan Ivanova in Babylon 5, said “Starhyke was an absolute joy to work on. The combination of a stellar cast, hilarious situations and the ability to play around in a comedy again was a joy for me… I love the combination of sci-fi and comedy and only the Brits can truly pull it off!” Jeremy Bulloch, the notorious bounty hunter Boba Fett in the Star Wars trilogy said of his character, “Doctor Striker is a part I really enjoyed playing because he is completely insane! He a loveable rogue and quite daft, a lot like me!”.

Other stars include Suanne Braun (Stargate SG-1) and Rachel Grant (Die Another Day) and Brad Gorton (London’s Burning). The series also features guest appearances from Danny John-Jules (Cat in the aforementioned Red Dwarf), Mike Edmonds (Time Bandits) and even the legendary Sir Patrick Moore like you’ve never seen him before!

Starhyke has been a huge success on DVD for Bristol based Lightworx Media, and has built a steady fanbase through the sci-fi convention circuit, but this is the first time the anarchic mix of sci-fi, drama and humour has come to UK television. “It’s been difficult at times, but we were always spurred on by the reactions from sci-fi fans and the unwavering support they’ve given toward the series” says producer Jonathan G. Brown.

The series will premiere on Showcase TV on Sky 201 and Freesat 403 at 8pm from the 13th December, with repeats on Fridays at 2pm and Sundays at 4pm from the 1st January 2012.

I'm off to Amazon..... :D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Starhyke - new SciFi Comedy (apparently)

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Wow. Pricey for only six episodes. How the hell to they justify four discs?

And the comments ain't that grand, either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starhyke-Comple ... 092&sr=1-1
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Crazy :shock:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:59 pm

starhyke is on showcase now :D ive just read the reviews on amazon sounds appalling, i cant wait :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:13 pm

oooowwwww its bad :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:25 pm

I don't have access to the channels it was on, I will wait to see if it hits the DVD bargin buckets. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:26 pm

honestly wwd dont, its appalling :lol: :lol: im going to watch the second one in a minute :lol: :lol:
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Now that sounds a bit weird Chris, don't watch it,it's crap but I'm going to watch the 2nd one!. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Never heard of it, but because of this thread I just downloaded and watched the first episode. Can't say i cracked a smile once. let alone a laugh. A bit like that series with nick Frost. But not funny.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:22 pm

I've heard of Starhyke (mainly the suppressed emotions thing and Jeremy "F**k Boba Fett, what about Hal the Archer" Bulloch being in it), but I've never considered watching it. In fact, I think I heard of it a couple of years back.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Molokov » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:35 am

It was made six years ago, and is finally getting an airing on TV (and yeah, the DVDs have been out for a while).

It's not all that great. Some decent SF parodies in some of the episodes, and it's a damn sight better than that terrible one with Nick Frost in it (which is so bad I can't even remember its name), but it's nowhere near as good even the worst of Red Dwarf.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby DaveC » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:28 am

Molokov wrote:It was made six years ago, and is finally getting an airing on TV (and yeah, the DVDs have been out for a while).

It's not all that great. Some decent SF parodies in some of the episodes, and it's a damn sight better than that terrible one with Nick Frost in it (which is so bad I can't even remember its name), but it's nowhere near as good even the worst of Red Dwarf.

Hyperdrive ;)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Willem » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Molokov wrote:but it's nowhere near as good even the worst of Red Dwarf.

Those last couple of Red Dwarf (where they ended up in the 'real world' in our time) were really, really afwulf though :)
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby chris.ph » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:54 pm

claudia christian in stockings and suspenders was worth the watch alone ;)
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Is that why you did'nt want me to watch it Chris, cause you just want to keep her all to yourself! that's selfish and not in the crimble spirit. :P :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre