First Contact

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Blackwolfdreaming » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:24 pm

The first time was at a signing in Manchester in 1987. This was the only signing I have been to where Terry has had time to do a reading answer questions and then do the signing.
My friend and I were stood there waiting for it to start, when a voice behind us asked what we were waiting for? My friend turned round and answered "We're waiting for some guy to get up on stage and say something funny" it was only after the bemused questioner had walked away did I have the courage to show my friend Terry's picture on the dust cover so that he knew who he had answered too. Unfortunatly we had to leave before we could get to the front of the signing queue as we had tickets to a gig on the same night.
At the second signing Terry asked me if we had met before, I didn't have the courage to say about the previous meeting so went and re-joined the queue when I got to the front I answered "Yes". :D
Have you ever noticed that, just when you think your shot is about to sail into the back of the net, some one moves the goal posts
Blackwolfdreaming

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:21 am

:lol: Great story!

I heard of a story where Terry turned up to do a signing and the security people, who didn't know him, made him go to the end of the queue - so he did. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Nausica » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Tonyblack wrote::lol: Great story!

I heard of a story where Terry turned up to do a signing and the security people, who didn't know him, made him go to the end of the queue - so he did. :lol:
:lol:
Nausica

Postby RACKU » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:36 am

Jinx wrote:
RACKU wrote:Oh dear D: You all are remarkably lucky to have met him. What are you to do when you live in a smallish (uh, biggest inland) city, that which being in Australia?
Damnation to you all =P

Travel. How close is the DWCon in Austrailia to you?
http://snowgumfilms.com/runrincewindrun/ <- You reminded me of this entertaining film.

The one in Melbourne? Half way across the country, sadly. The one in Perth was on the other side of the continent, and basically, I was stranded in South East Queensland, mumbling to myself :) I guess I can wait. Or board myself on a plane to England in a suit case and hopefully end up in the next convention..
We'll see! ;)

BlackAssassin, lucky ducks to you! Poor hubby of yours to be sick on his birthday ); That's no fun at all.
If the world was full of people like me... there wouldn't be any people. - By Yours Truely.
Though daily I seem to wonder whether I've must have heard it from somewhere..
Currently reading - New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
RACKU

Postby phazedout » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:12 pm

iot was the thud signing (some of ye know this story already) and I had a folio edition of the unadulterated cat (small hardback which was quite pricey) which I whipped out of an indside pocket andsaid to him "would you mind signing this as well".

I did sunsequently get to ask him (at the 06 con) if he'd like briggsy to play lord vetinari and it started the two of them off on a little back and forth :oops: I'm quite proud of that one, sunsequent meetings have been "can I beg your indulgence for a momnent" to whic yhe replied "you can commiut adultery as often as you like :shock: ".

that's most of my encounters so far, sorry to digress and put in multipelk encouters, 'tis the way thigns go with me and fandom.
Phaze
on the "was gonna go for a walk but the weather has turned even nastier and ther are limits to what I will walk in, even on a lazy sunday afternoon" ID
Everyone lies Stephen, the innocent lie becuase they don't want to get blamed for something they didn't do and the guilty lie becuase they don't have any other choice".
John Sheirdan, written by JMS, B5
phazedout

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:30 am

It was in 1985 at FantasyCon and he had C.O.M. out which I had bought and asked him if he would be writing any more like that, to which replied that he had finished another called The Light Fantastic. :D
Who's Wee Dug

Postby mattygroves » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:36 am

Mine was in Bath a week and a half ago.

Huge fun it was too. I sang Steeleye Span's 'The King' very badly with PTerry. Superb :)
Man created god not in his own image, but in his toddler's

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
mattygroves

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Any more 'First Contact' stories or questions for when you do meet him? :D
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Never met him, but if I did, I'd ask him why he's started using chapters. :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Never met him, but if I did, I'd ask him why he's started using chapters. :lol:
Good idea! Let us know what he says - assuming you ever get the chance to ask him. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:07 pm

whens the jap convention pooh you could ask him then :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Omnia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:33 pm

I think I've told this story before...

The first time I met pTerry was November 2001 at a book signing in a little independent store in Lancaster. I was at Uni there and it was the first I'd ever heard of an author signing. It felt to good to be true.

I even bunked off from an Art seminar as I didn't wanna miss the signing. I arrived early and no-one seemed to be about. I ventured into the shop, and there was pTerry amongst all these piles of books. Just pTerry, wearing khaki trousers, black shirt a a hat with, I'm sure of it, corkscrews on it. And he was lovely and relaxed, taking the time to talk with everyone. I asked a daft bleeding question which he answered, and he signed the copy of The Last Hero and put a flyer for DWCon02 in the book :D And I ran away before I started gibbering :lol:
Doth not a penny to the widow outshine the unconquered sun

AKA g'nomi :-)
Omnia

Previous

Return to Terry Pratchett