This woman hates the Watch

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: This woman hates the Watch

Postby jaeger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:10 pm

:o Del :o the
ImageER
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Postby deldaisy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:15 pm

:?

I'm an Ibis-er?

Flamingo-er?

A bird with long slender legs? :lol: and a mouth that goes on and on......... :lol:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby jaeger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:50 pm

:doh: it's a stork :doh:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:11 pm

http://fav.me/d2urzmb asier to identify stork I think
LilMaibe

Postby jaeger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Lovely plumage . . . and well set of legs . . . Nice ring above the knee . . . Oh ! and just look at the way that nest is built :hand:
jaeger

Postby jaeger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:50 pm

^^^^ :character-spamguy: ^^^^ ???
jaeger

Postby A'Tuin things over » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:30 pm

...well I happen to like all the books on the Watch, I like the characters and the storylines.

This has noting to do with my literary crush on Angua..!

ahhh, Angua, she turns my elephants at 78rpm :romance-kisscheek: :romance-hearteyes:
Berilia, Tubul, Great T'Phon, and Jerakeen - this is a hold up..!
A'Tuin things over

Location: Swimming around the universe, latest port of call, Cote D'A3 Tolworth, England

Postby stripy_tie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:45 pm

high eight wrote:
author3 wrote:Yesterday I was in the bookshop and I overheard( :oops: ) this woman talking to the owner about Discworld
She told him that she had read all the ''Witch'' books and that she started reading the ''Watch'' one and she said they were really boring and that they have put her off reading the rest of the series :cry:

I have absoluteley no idea how anyone could hate the Watch so much that it put her off reading the rest of the series :cry: :cry:

Probably one of those pagan types who had been recommended the witch books by her local shaman and expected the watch to be more of the same..... :roll:

Oh dear lord don't get me started on those people. If you don't have any gods then it's not a religion "the feminine aspect" or whatever doesn't count, the only thing they worship is their own inflated sense of self importance.
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:08 am

Hey! Nothing against Paganism :x He was a very neat violin-player and composer :ugeek:
LilMaibe

Postby Danny B » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:40 am

An odd attitude to take. Fair enough for not liking the Watch novels, different strokes for different folks and all, but to be put off the whole series when the Watch story strand is only one, semi-independent, part of it? Unusual. Then again, I got put off a different series by a different author because of one line, so I suppose I can't judge too harshly.

From a personal perspective, the Watch novels are my favourites and I think they get better with each passing novel. There's only so much Naked Gun style spoofery a series can get away with before it circles the drain and the progressively darker, angrier, more cynically humorous and more socially aware strain in the AM novels in general and the Watch novels in particular appeals to my tastes and sensibilities. Your mileage may vary of course; the joy of the Discworld novels is that there's something to suit most tastes.
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby high eight » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:36 am

stripy_tie wrote:
high eight wrote:
author3 wrote:Yesterday I was in the bookshop and I overheard( :oops: ) this woman talking to the owner about Discworld
She told him that she had read all the ''Witch'' books and that she started reading the ''Watch'' one and she said they were really boring and that they have put her off reading the rest of the series :cry:

I have absoluteley no idea how anyone could hate the Watch so much that it put her off reading the rest of the series :cry: :cry:

Probably one of those pagan types who had been recommended the witch books by her local shaman and expected the watch to be more of the same..... :roll:

Oh dear lord don't get me started on those people. If you don't have any gods then it's not a religion "the feminine aspect" or whatever doesn't count, the only thing they worship is their own inflated sense of self importance.

It's all that 'ancient religion' guff that annoys me. Current paganism dates back about 75 years - its younger than my Dad! :lol:
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:20 pm

stripy_tie wrote:
high eight wrote:

Hey! There's no need to be offensive, pagan covers a huge range of beliefs but not having any gods would not fit the majority of that group. I think you'd find the majority of pagans no more in love with their own importance than any other group.
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Re:

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:57 am

LilMaibe wrote:Do we want to know what she would have called Reaper Man, Small Gods, Interesting Times etc?

Reaper Man - Good
Small Gods - fair to middling
Interesting Times - not very interesting
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re:

Postby Maura:-D » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:^No. What triggered the important stuff was Polly going to find her brother. Vimes's 'reputation' was just tactics. The book was about perceived indentity & subsequent prejudices. Cause and effect, that kind of thing. Monstrous Regiment is a firm favourite of mine.

Re - The woman in the shop. My step-mother refers Discworld as 'those childrens books you read'. I mean, really!

Those children's books? REALLY!!! Well, I love them all, my dad's similarlly addicted, mum doesn't really like that kinda book... Although someone once said, "Oh, the geeky fantasy type books." I mean, SHOCK HORROR SWOON! :evil:
"Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."
"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short."
Maura:-D

Postby One Man Bucket » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:08 pm

She probably doesn't like Vimes, who can blame her, and the latest Watch are pretty much Vimes and supporting cast rather than proper Watch books. Alternatively she doesn't like police procedurals
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels