Guards! Guards! Discussion Group *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am

I don't really see the sword as a contradiction, it is after all the sword of a true king, & who knows what that would be like? Only Terry in this case. It's not magical, but can never be beaten in combat - sounds perfectly logical to me :)

The only thing I think is strange, seeing as it's Carrot's sword, is the following:

swreader wrote:the Patrician examines “the rusty blade carefully,”

Carrot would never have a rusty blade surely?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Cheery » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 am

Maybe he didn't have the time, beacause he was polishing his armour all the time. :lol:
Cheery

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:52 am

Arms first Armour later - standard armed forces procedure Cheery and I agree with Dotsie that it's highly unlikely Carrot would have anything rusty.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Trish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Dotsie wrote:I don't really see the sword as a contradiction, it is after all the sword of a true king, & who knows what that would be like?

The only thing I think is strange, seeing as it's Carrot's sword, is the following:

swreader wrote:the Patrician examines “the rusty blade carefully,”

Carrot would never have a rusty blade surely?

Couple things about the sword.

Rusty, no, but patinad and pitted, yes.
Which is what happens to old steel and Carrot's sword is old.

Both Carrot and Vimes hold the sword, but only Vimes uses it.
Both are descended from either side of the 'Kingship Question' and both have no use for monarchy in AM.
Trish

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:46 pm

Trish wrote:Couple things about the sword.

Rusty, no, but patinad and pitted, yes.
Which is what happens to old steel and Carrot's sword is old.

It's described elsewhere in the book as having a dull blade, which I would accept, but the quote swreader gave definitely describes it as a rusty blade (I checked it myself, not that I don't trust swreader).

Trish wrote:Both Carrot and Vimes hold the sword, but only Vimes uses it.

Yes, but it's still a King's sword. To do anything kingly (ie get pulled out of a stone), the king would have to do that.

Trish wrote:Both are descended from either side of the 'Kingship Question' and both have no use for monarchy in AM.

That's true. :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Trish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Dotsie--

Methinks the "dull" adjective is that of the blade itself, not its edge.
Why? Because the "shiny, bejewelled" sword that Wonse's cousin has.

You know, the one that's utterly useless.

Carrot's blade isn't pretty, it is functional workmanship.
His dwarf father even remarks upon how well it is made.
Trish

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:48 am

Trish wrote:Dotsie--

Methinks the "dull" adjective is that of the blade itself, not its edge.

I think so too. Which means it wasn't rusty at the time of describing. Just dull!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 am

The actual passage is on page 300 of the paperback:

Lord Vetinari examined the rusty blade carefully.

I have to say that my thought was that Carrot was unlikely to have a rusty blade. I think this might be one that we chalk up to The Master missing it in the editting process. :lol: Even Terry is human.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Maybe it's just a different kind of magic.

There's wizard magic, witch magic, and the reflected sounds of underground spirits...

maybe there's a royal magic.

remember that practictioners of one branch of magic are unable to understand another branch's magic.
kakaze

Postby Trish » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:16 pm

kakaze wrote:Maybe it's just a different kind of magic.
Maybe there's a royal magic.

Or royal magnetism and carrot certainly has that.
Trish

Postby swreader » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:31 am

Haven't gotten into this for a couple of days as have been (and still am) seeing doctors about what's wrong with my arthritic shoulders. First doctor said total shoulder replacement. I don't like that a bit, and am looking for other possibilities. Gets complicated when you're allergic to aspirin, all NSAIDs, Tylenol (or any stronger drug with any of these combined). Mutter, mutter!

As to the sword - I have to agree with Tony. The sword is described in ways that are inconsistent within this book, and especially if we go on to consider Carrot's use of the sword in Men at Arms. It's described as being not magical, well-balanced, a length of metal, more a sword than a saw, but only just, rusty, always sharp. (and possibly some other descriptions) . Now it simply can't be all of those things at the same time.

Why is it so hard to accept that Terry uses a description because it fits in that particular place, but forgets exactly what he said about it when he describes it later? Remember, THIS IS NOT A REAL SWORD--IT'S A LITERARY CREATION.
swreader

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:47 am

It's interesting to imagine that this book was going to be a one-off. If that's the case then the kingship thing is undecided - Terry leaves us, the readers, to chuckle over the fact that there may be the rightful heir to the throne of A-M doing a fairly mundane job in the city. But the important thing is that he never says one way of the other.

We tend to look at G!G! with Men At Arms and the other Watch books in mind. We know that Carrot is the rightful heir from these books, but suppose G!G! was the one and only Guards book.

If that was the case then the sword is a plain, un-magical sword that is incredibly well made and sharp. The fancy sword was made to look good (as was Wonse's nephew). It looked like a king's sword should look - encrusted in jewels and very shiny. But it was probably just a piece of crap that broke the first time a real sword hit it.

So - taking G!G! as a one-off book, we simply do not have enough evidence to say whether Carrot's sword has power in the hand of a king or a leader of men. And if Terry had left the series at just that one book we would never know. :)
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:42 am

Ha, but Terry did not leave it at one book.... the Sword has to have some sort of Magic in it that is possible only shown when it is in the rightful hands of the King, in a later books (no names, still trying to keep to the rules here may you note!) Carrot thrusts the Sword though a man and into a Marble piller with little effort.... now not being a Sword Man or Medieval Weapons expert this may be possible but I very much doubt it... to me this points to the Sword being Magical, not matter that it has been examined by a Witch I think the Magic only works, or is apparent when used by the Rightful Man. :) As for shearing the other Sword in half when Vimes used it this may be down to pure quality of the Swords, Carrots Old Rusty one was a real workmans Sword and the other may have been an ornate cheap piece of tat like the ones you can pick up in any market place when on Holiday in Spain or the like, look good but can not cut butter with them.... :shock:
mspanners

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:03 am

...and as Nobby and Colon say, it's not the person who pulls out the sword from the stone, but the person who put it in the stone in the first place who should be king. In the book Mspanners is talking about, Carrot not only pulls it out of the stone, but puts it in there in the first place.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:12 am

Oh I agree with you both when it comes to the later books, but I think that was a decision made sometime after the writing of Guards! Guards! - there are four years and six books between G!G! and the next Guards book.

What I'm talking about is looking at the powers the sword has, or doesn't have in this book alone. :)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels