New Sony eReader

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

New Sony eReader

Postby mspanners » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:05 pm

Just watched the evening News and saw the New Sony eReader, interesting idea but not to sure if I will get one yet as I like the feel and smell as much as the read of a good new book.......... and the PDA or Note Books have been able to display PDF or reader formats for a while now and the real paper books still survives.
Would be nice if the outer cover of the eReader could show the cover art of the book being read........and the full Pratchetts collection on one device to read anywhere is tempting..............em mm???? But at 200 quid in the UK it is a bit pricey.............at the moment.
mspanners

Postby Jason » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:44 pm

I'd certainly like to try one at some point.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:18 pm

I really find it hard to imagine myself using one of these - it's all very Star Trek, but I'm wth Captain Picard, there nothing like a real book. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:02 am

That is one of the reasons I would like to try one. I like the look and feel of a novel. I am also very interested in the quality of the screen as I couldn't imagine reading a whole novel off my PC screen.
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:46 am

Well it would certainly save me a good deal of luggage space on my trips to the US.
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:32 pm

thebooks ere are several websites giving away free of all of the classics eg dracula frankenstien 20000 leagues under the sea. a publisher in america who specialize in sciwar called baen allready have a free downloadable library of about 50 books (ive downloaded about 20 so far)
at the moment the ereaders r about 150quid but that will come down shortly and the ebooks r about 4 dollars each as i cant find any british sites. i believe that this teck is going to go mental and am seriously thinking of trying to start my own site dedicated to ereading.
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:35 pm

forgot to mention that a small web browser is just as capable as an ereader and has a lot more functions. i read mine off a laptop so i can take them anywhere i want.
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:36 pm

Project Gutenberg has over 25,000 books free to download. Of course you could just download them to your computer and read them there, or even print them off - maybe that's a bit extreme though. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Slight change of subject - if you like audio books, there is a site called Librivox that has a stack of books to download free of charge.

The books are read by volunteers rather than professional actors and they tend to be books out of copyright. :)
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:46 pm

just found "the art of war by sunzi" ala interesting times on that project gutenberg site :)
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:50 pm

chris.ph wrote:just found "the art of war by sunzi" ala interesting times on that project gutenberg site :)
I read that ages ago - pretty good IIRC. :D
Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Jason wrote:I'd certainly like to try one at some point.

I'm still not certain about cds let alone another new fangled gadget.
The whole aesthetic experience of handling a book cannot be bettered as far as I can see.Although as Jason says,I'd certainly like to try one at some point.Providing that point is at the end of a big stick.
silverstreak

Postby chris.ph » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:14 pm

itll never get dog eared and lose pages but i wouldnt read it in the bath
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:14 pm

This is going to make me sound weird, but I love the smell of a book. And the difference in smell between an old book and a new one.

I hate to see books getting mistreated - people who fold corners down to mark their place should be shot! Especially if it's a book I've loanedthem! :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:41 pm

When we were filming one scene for The Colour of Magic we had to be the crowd that was burning books. All of us hated that scene because it went against the grain for us book lovers.
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Next

Return to The Broken Drum