(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:44 pm

How's this for Discworld-y? :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:22 pm

poor sod fancy being called wynkyn :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Cheery » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:42 pm

:lol: Both the names "William" and "de Worde" show up and a University library... Very discworldish indeed.
Cheery

Postby kakaze » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:36 pm

superfurryandy wrote:
kakaze wrote:The idea of Ankh-Morpork being built on top of Ankh-Morpork is based on Seattle, Washington.

That can be said of a lot of cities, though - there's a lot of old London underground, many many tributaries to the Thames that have long been built over, the most famous perhaps being the River Fleet.

I'm sure.

It's just that Terry's supposed to have been inspired by Seattle.

It's even in Wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:Terry Pratchett has cited Seattle as one of the influences in his decision to give Ankh-Morpork its own Underground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground#In_fiction
kakaze

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Pedantic moment... :oops:

Wikipedia wrote wrote:Terry Pratchett has cited Seattle as one of the influences in his decision to give Ankh-Morpork its own Underground.

not Ankh-Morpork the actual place - just putting the Underground in there :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby wolfiess » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:27 am

i always think that ankh-morpork is a mix of New York, London Glasgow and York lol
i get enough exercise just pushing my luck
wolfiess

Postby kakaze » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:46 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:not Ankh-Morpork the actual place - just putting the Underground in there :wink:

I'm sorry, isn't that what I said?

kakaze wrote:The idea of Ankh-Morpork being built on top of Ankh-Morpork is based on Seattle, Washington.
kakaze

Postby NightOwl » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:41 pm

didn't Terry admit that it was Lancaster & Morecambe - lANC.-MORpork?

if you check a map -

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=l ... e&resnum=1

they are separated by a river, but from what I hear merge into one another...

the actual description is more like York or Ye Olde London - but I recall TP saying it was Oop North
All the World's a Stage
NightOwl

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:24 pm

kakaze wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:not Ankh-Morpork the actual place - just putting the Underground in there :wink:

I'm sorry, isn't that what I said?

Beware the wikipedia - the article you linked also said at the top that Seattle was amongst several other Roundworld cities that A-M have been based upon including London Prague and Tailinn. London has an underground railway built underground in the central area and yes parts of that were built on earlier buildings around the Thames basin as are many familiar famous buildings - Somerset House being one of those. I worked there for 6 years and the basement down there regularly flooded (as do many other central London underground stations. We also had silt seepage occasionally due to rotting foundations of houses of the original site before the current building was put up over them in the mid 1500s. Very, very smelly indeed! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:55 am

As Ankh-Morpork is a twinned city, there must be (at least somewhere), a passing resemblance to Buda and Pest, originally separate, now joined, although the people condider themselves separate.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:07 am

Vena Ravenhaired wrote:As Ankh-Morpork is a twinned city, there must be (at least somewhere), a passing resemblance to Buda and Pest, originally separate, now joined, although the people condider themselves separate.

Cheers, Vena

Indeed! :D Here's an annotation for Colour of Magic from LSpace.org:

- [p. 9/9] "Fire roared through the bifurcated city of Ankh-Morpork."

Terry has said that the name 'Ankh-Morpork' was inspired neither by the ankh (the Egyptian cross with the closed loop on top), nor by the Australian or New Zealand species of bird (frogmouths and small brown owls, respectively) that go by the name of 'Morepork'.

Since I first wrote down the above annotation, there have been new developments, however. In The Streets of Ankh-Morpork and The Discworld Companion we are shown an illustration of the Ankh-Morpork coat of arms, which does feature a Morepork/owl holding an ankh. But from Terry's remarks (see next annotation) I feel it's safe to say that neither bird nor cross were explicitly on his mind when he first came up with the name Ankh-Morpork.

Finally, many readers have mentioned the resonance that Ankh-Morpork has with our world's Budapest: also a large city made up of two smaller cities (Buda and Pest) separated by a river.

Full article HERE.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum