This woman hates the Watch

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

This woman hates the Watch

Postby author3 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Yesterday I was in the bookshop and I overheard( :oops: ) this woman talking to the owner about Discworld
She told him that she had read all the ''Witch'' books and that she started reading the ''Watch'' one and she said they were really boring and that they have put her off reading the rest of the series :cry:

I have absoluteley no idea how anyone could hate the Watch so much that it put her off reading the rest of the series :cry: :cry:
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby spideyGirl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:38 pm

:shock: Her loss Author! :)
spideyGirl

Postby author3 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:41 pm

i really wanted to have a very stern talk with her, but then she left the bookshop :(
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:03 pm

I must admit I stopped reading the watch books after Jingo. Granted I read Nightwatch, but 5thE, Thud and now Snuff don't strike me as interessting. I will try to read Snuff, for the sake of it, but I am not looking forward to it.

There just nothing that really sets the watch-, or better Vimes-, majorly, books apart from the procedurals you have on tv or older police/detectivenovels.

Never understood what people find so neat 'bout Vimes anyway.
LilMaibe

Postby meerkat » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:04 pm

It's cos he's one man fighting a world of corruption and injustice. Sometimes losing sometimes winning. Je is a parady of Hill Street Blues and Columbo and many others.

And there is something 'appealing' about him too! :wink:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:12 pm

After Jingo, when was the last time Vimes actually lost at something he tried?
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

You weren't in Germany at the time, were you Author? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Tonyblack wrote:You weren't in Germany at the time, were you Author? :lol:

Oh shoo.
LilMaibe

Re: This woman hates the Watch

Postby high eight » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:02 pm

author3 wrote:Yesterday I was in the bookshop and I overheard( :oops: ) this woman talking to the owner about Discworld
She told him that she had read all the ''Witch'' books and that she started reading the ''Watch'' one and she said they were really boring and that they have put her off reading the rest of the series :cry:

I have absoluteley no idea how anyone could hate the Watch so much that it put her off reading the rest of the series :cry: :cry:

Probably one of those pagan types who had been recommended the witch books by her local shaman and expected the watch to be more of the same..... :roll:
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:12 am

Perhaps she thought the Watch books were a typo, and a continuation of the Witch books? :wink:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tiffany » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:35 am

LilMaibe wrote:I must admit I stopped reading the watch books after Jingo. Granted I read Nightwatch, but 5thE, Thud and now Snuff don't strike me as interessting. I will try to read Snuff, for the sake of it, but I am not looking forward to it.

There just nothing that really sets the watch-, or better Vimes-, majorly, books apart from the procedurals you have on tv or older police/detectivenovels.

Never understood what people find so neat 'bout Vimes anyway.

Can't say I'm keen on the 'Watch' books either, but I did enjoy 'Snuff'.
I love the 'Witch' books & the 'kids' books.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby raisindot » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Boy, thank goodness her first book wasn't Pyramids. That might've put her off DW entirely! :P
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:10 pm

In the absense of Pooh, I say :evil:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby author3 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:01 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Perhaps she thought the Watch books were a typo, and a continuation of the Witch books? :wink:

Actually she called the Witch books ''The Magicy ones with the witches'' and she called thw Watch books ''Policey ones'' :lol: :lol:
author3

Postby LilMaibe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Do we want to know what she would have called Reaper Man, Small Gods, Interesting Times etc?
LilMaibe

Next

Return to Discworld novels