New to Pratchett and new to the forum.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

New reader

Postby deric » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi, I hate admitting this on The Forum but I have never read any of Terry's books BUT am about to buy my 1st one! Should I read them in order or is one particularly good for a new reader?
I mostly read thrillers and historical and have just finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follett which I enjoyed very much. Thanks
deric

Postby chris.ph » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:38 pm

i would read them in order deric
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi deric! And welcome. I always recommend Guards! Guards! as a good place to start. :D

Let us know what you think when you start reading them.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi deric, The Colour of Magic the is 1st Discworld one and is a bit different from the rest as it was a parody of the Fantasy swords & socerery genre from the 70's, 80's ,so if you have not read anything in that line you won't get the Jokes and puns.
After you read one come back and start the list in order as The Light Fantastic the 2nd is linked with C.O.M which shows how the Luggage came to be. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

New to Pratchett and new to the forum.

Postby deric » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks for all your responses, they were very helpful. I've ordered Guards and am looking forward to reading it ! I'll keep you posted.
[/img]
deric

Postby SwordfishTrombone » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I'm currently loving Wyrd Sisters. Much better than Sourcery.

I've ordered Guards! Guards! to read next and I have to admit I can't wait to read Small Gods...

How does Reaper Man compare to Mort? Which is the best Death book?
SwordfishTrombone

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Reaper Man and Mort are both 'Death' books, but they aren't very much alike. Death has developed as a character a lot from Mort. He's caught Humanity. :lol:

I will say that the first time I read Small Gods, I wasn't very taken with it. It really needed a second read to appreciate the depth of the story. It's my favourite book now. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sir Toby » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:57 pm

SwordfishTrombone wrote:I'm currently loving Wyrd Sisters. Much better than Sourcery.

Happy to see you're enjoying Wyrd Sisters. It was the first Terry Pratchett book I read and has always been a bit of a favourite!
Sir Toby

Postby SwordfishTrombone » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Sir Toby wrote:
SwordfishTrombone wrote:I'm currently loving Wyrd Sisters. Much better than Sourcery.

Happy to see you're enjoying Wyrd Sisters. It was the first Terry Pratchett book I read and has always been a bit of a favourite!

Yeah, I feel it's got a much stronger narrative drive than both Mort and Sourcery. Absolutely loving it so far.
SwordfishTrombone

Postby A Dirty Lurker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Welcome I'm pretty new myself and started reading from the beginning and am currently on Moving Pictures which I must say I am enjoying immensely.

Just looking at that L Space link and never heard of any of those short stories and was wondering where they were published and how "short" they actually were?

Sorry if this jacks the thread
Wossnames?
A Dirty Lurker

Postby pip » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:08 pm

A Dirty Lurker wrote:Welcome I'm pretty new myself and started reading from the beginning and am currently on Moving Pictures which I must say I am enjoying immensely.

Just looking at that L Space link and never heard of any of those short stories and was wondering where they were published and how "short" they actually were?

Sorry if this jacks the thread

Some of the short stories are available on line legally (can't comment on other sources)
Others appear in various anthologies .
They are collected together in 'Once more with Footnotes' but that was a limited run and they cost ridiculous money now to get a copy
Three online (and Legal copies of stories as follow
Theatre of Cruelty
Death and What Comes Next
A Collegiate Casting-Out of Devilish Devices
http://www.lspace.org/books/toc/toc-english.html

http://www.lspace.org/books/dawcn/dawcn-english.html

http://loki.ovh.org/T%20Pratchett%20-%20A%20Collegiate%20Casting-Out%20Of%20Devilish%20Devices.htm

Hope this helps
:D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby A Dirty Lurker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Wow that first one you linked is veeeeeeery short, glad I know about em now though =]

On another side note as a few people above have suggested, from what I have read so far Guards! Guards! is my favourite book so far and definately a good starting point.
Wossnames?
A Dirty Lurker

Postby pip » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:18 pm

I agree with Guards Guards. Love the book and its exciting enough to draw anyone in :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks for the links Pip, hadn't read the Collegiate casting out before but it's very good!
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby pip » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:46 am

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:Thanks for the links Pip, hadn't read the Collegiate casting out before but it's very good!

No worries. I've made a point of collecting the stories where possible without buying Once More With Footnotes :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels