Favourite composer

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby SimsKatie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 pm

meerkat wrote:Then Paul McCartney can't be on it even though he has written some great classical stuff? :?

No, I think he'd count. Classical music doesn't have to be tied to a strict time period.
SimsKatie

Postby meerkat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:33 am

That's what I meant! :oops: I mean, there's some stonking good modern stuff out there and some pretty poor stuff too!

Glad he falls into the time line! His Liverpool oratorio is fantasstic!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Antiq » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Hard to chose just one - Mozart. Up there too are Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Corelli, Telemann, Tallis and Patrick Cassidy.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby MoonJewel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Edvard Grieg and Kurt Weil (he was mid 20th century, but did some seriously classical stuff). I like my music to be a bit out there and moody. Oh, and PDQ Bach, because, well, he writes pieces for kazoo and bagpipe.
MoonJewel

Postby author3 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Yes i agree Grieg is an amazing composer I love his Oblivion piece
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Will of Lancre » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:14 am

Apart from obvious contenders like Bach and Mozart , I would go for some of the Renaissance composers: Tallis, Josquin, Lassus, Byrd, the list is endless and they wrote some beautiful choral music in particular.
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby Penfold » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:34 am

I'm rather partial to Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance Marches" particularly No. 1 ("Land of Hope and Glory).
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Will of Lancre wrote:Apart from obvious contenders like Bach and Mozart , I would go for some of the Renaissance composers: Tallis, Josquin, Lassus, Byrd, the list is endless and they wrote some beautiful choral music in particular.
Oh yes! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Danny B » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:21 pm

I've always thought if the universe had an audible soundtrack, it would sound like Bach. All of the other big hitters are up there of course, when it comes to the old masters, with a particular emphasis on Debussy, Mozart, Tchaikosky and, as much as many classical music lovers look down on him a bit, Strauss II. I do love a polka.

With modern composers, especially soundtracks, all of the ones mentioned so far figure highly, as well as Basil Poledouris, if only for his soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian. Whatever your opinions of the film, it's impossible to call the soundtrack anything other than a work of genius, as was his score for Lonesome Dove; The Hunt for Red October was none too shabby, either.

How stringently are we defining 'Composer'? Because I'd add Gershwin, Bernstein and maybe a dozen jazz composers to the list, mostly from the bebop era through to the middle of the free period; start with Parker and Davis, then work through the big names until you get to Benny Green. Then stop. I find modern jazz a bit too noodly and somewhat limp.

I like music a lot. I can never call one artist or piece my favourite. It always boils down to lists, with me. Hence claiming almost everyone else mentioned, plus my few additions.
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:45 pm

I would certainly add both Gershwin and Bernstein to my list. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:00 pm

I'd add Arthur Sullivan oh, and Franz Reizenstein. German composer who came over here during the war. Great music writer.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre