Eragon series

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby high eight » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:34 pm

pip wrote:possibly a useless reply but i'm curious as well. I enjoyed the film and i've eyed the books up several times but haven't taken the plunge.

Tried to read the first one, got about half-a-dozen chapters before taking it back to the charity shop.

Not as bad as Twilight or anything by Piers-bloody-Anthony but still close to unreadable. Paolini wants to be Anne McCaffrey when he grows up (A man of little ambition! :twisted: )
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:37 pm

You got further than I got. I settled for eragon-sporkings for the rest (the same page that showed me it was a good idea to give 'fifth sorceress' a sourceful chuck in the corner and then to the second hand bookstore)
LilMaibe

Postby pip » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 am

TwoShotTino wrote:
pip wrote:Signed special edition of final book as follows, one of the sites i subscribe too have it available -

Costs about £45 but is a very limited run .
Not interested myself but for those who are.

Do you have a link? I have an old friend who may be interested. She kind of collects signed editions, or at least she used to

sorry tino just checked and they're sold out :(
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby TwoShotTino » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Bugger, not to worry as it wasn't for me :lol:
TwoShotTino

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Two Shot, Waterstones have them just check out the link.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesw ... n/8698520/

plus if you click Check store availability it list what level of stock they are holding. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby TwoShotTino » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:59 pm

I've forwarded the link on thank you Dug :D
TwoShotTino

Postby author3 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:24 pm

I bought the first one in the airport last Monday
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Re: Eragon series

Postby Homeless Hublander » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed the whole series, but they are both fairly slow going in ways, but as the story develops I found you get much more into it, albeit it does take a looong time from what some people told me of their experiences, but if you can make it to the end of the second book I found it very much worthwhile as it took me on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.If you enjoyed the film I feel you'll like the books, however I despised the film as it took out easily a quarter, maybe up to a half of the book and so really simpled it down to a typical rendition of a book nowadays, where masses of the essential plot is hacksawed out - but that's just me rambling and repeatedly throwing my two cents in your face. However I'd take this reccomendation with a pinch of salt, as I read them when I was fairly young, and It was the first book of it's type I really came into contact with, so I had (and still have) nothing to compare it with. I plan to reread the series again, so I'll have to re-paint my perspective once it's done and dusted.
cheers,
Hublander.
Come check out my (fairly) regularly udated blog - it has words and everything! Honest!
http://rstbt.blogspot.co.uk/
Homeless Hublander

Postby Brady » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:41 am

Christopher Paolini states in the acknowledgements of inheritance that he may write more about alagaesia. I read somewhere else that he possibly plans to write a stand alone novel set after the events of inheritance featuring new and old characters which hopefully would include eragon and arya (i too want to know more about their futures considering the prophecy about eragon has not been fulfilled completely, he still needs a great romance to bloom) it would be great if he did write this book, hopefully it would include material about training the new riders. It most likely would be a while before this book was produced or if we're lucky quite soon.
Last edited by Tonyblack on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dangerous link in signature
Brady

Postby stripy_tie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:35 am

I got the first one in hardback as soon as it became available in the UK as i saw it in the bookshop and couldn't not have it, i've since got the rest of them as soon as they were published. They're not massively original i know but it's a very good story and the characters are well developed. I like what he did with the dragons too.

I don't watch film adaptations of the books I've read because i find they destroy a lot of the mental imagery associated with reading but i've heard from other fans that it was pretty awful and not at all reflective of the books themselves.
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Considering he was 17 at the time and his parents self published (until they got a deal with a big publisher) the first book isn't to bad. I liked it alot.

if you liked the movie you should love the book. I was actually disappointed a bit with the film and anyone that knows me will tell you that doesn't happen often. The casting was great, but some of their decisions were, unwise, in my opinion. (and if you catch the quote, you'll understand)

The second book is much better though. and is 3-4 times the size of the first (hence the talks about it taking awhile to get through it :D ). you can see his skills improving quite a bit. He weaves several alternating stories together quite well and i found the B storyline to be almost more enjoyable then the main story. Many of the side characters actually out shine Eragon IMO (and Elva was a surprise and very inspired). Though despite that he remains likable.

I have the third, but got sidetracked reading it. i should learn not to buy another book till i'm done with the one i have cause i always stop that one to start the new one :oops:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Re:

Postby Tris » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:I have read the first book, but wasn't too impressed. The story was very similar to Star Wars (Which I don't like :P)

I LOVE the whole series. I have no idea what Star Wars is about (a sad thing for a bookworm/geek like me), so I can't really say much about that.
Tris

Postby Tris » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:49 pm

I'll post this link again:

http://rickriordan.blogspot.com/2005/11 ... otter.html

Like it says in the post, there are a lot of recurring themes in fiction. Evil villian who happens to be the king/queen of the place the books takes place? Check. Character trying to do good in the world and defeat the evil villian? Check. Dragon riders? Check. I could say more, but it would be too much. What you say borrows from Star Wars, I might say it borrows from Harry Potter or Eragon, or another fantasy book. Maybe Star Wars borrowed from something. I don't know, maybe the authors read the same books and were influenced by the same books/authors/people! All I'm saying is, not everything is a rip off of Star Wars or Anne McCaffrey.

And now because we need something sort of cute:

:happy-wavemulticolor: :happy-wavemulticolor: :happy-wavemulticolor: :happy-wavemulticolor: :happy-wavemulticolor: :happy-wavemulticolor:
Tris

Postby Tris » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Raptornx: What if I love the book, but hate the movie? I mean Eragon is NOT blond!!! I only got through the first hour or so of the movie before turning the TV off in disgust.
Spoiler: show
I was like, jeez, I didn't know Brom was killed by Urgals! I thought it was the Ra'zac!
Tris

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Actually the part that somewhat annoyed me was the short cut they did with Saphira's growing up.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books