Where do you buy your DW books and at what price?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Welcome to the site Mark,I don't have any ebooks just some audio books.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby lothlann » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:18 pm

I have the same problem with ebooks. I want the whole collection on my reader without errors but, as a student, I just can't afford to rebuy them all. Therefore I am making do with my pirated copies until they come down a few pounds or someone gets me waterstones vouchers.

I cannot wait for the day I can rebuy them all. If I didnt have to pay for a masters in 2 months I would just use my loan.
lothlann

Postby markdibley » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:50 pm

Thank you for all the welcomes.

I'm glad I am not the only one to notice the madness of digital book pricing. My only hope is that maybe someone from Transworld will post an explanation of why ebooks are often the same prices as hardbacks.

Personally, I believe publishers are making the same mistakes as the music industry and are very close to losing any chance of creating a digital format that isn't heavily pirated, just like mp3s when they first hit the mainstream.

I would have thought that the digital book format would be compared with DVDs and include a variety of bonus material to justify similar prices to physical books. Otherwise, the price should be more transparent. What percentage does go to the author, the publisher and the distributor? When Lord of the Rings, a 50 year old book, is being sold at £19 for the electronic version it makes you question whether this is literature or just plain greed.

And I agree, lothlann, when it costs more to replace my physical TP collection with ebooks than it would have done to buy the physical collection to begin with then I also will resort to pirated copies of what I already own. I see little difference between that and scanning each book myself. If the ebooks had been a couple of quid each then the whole collection would have been a nice investment.

It's sad because I think this short-sightedness and lack of learning will harm the struggling publishing industry just when a great opportunity has been given to it.
markdibley

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:17 pm

There seems to be a lot of variation, Baen Books have a lot of titles available at around $5 which is more reasonable.

Could the high pricing of ebooks be part of a deal to protect the sales of paper copies?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Virgo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Good afternoon,

Just my little contribution. Even if I bought the French paperback version of TP wonderful work, it's my wife who read them. :-D

I don't know if an astral problem or the Great A'Tuin influences my point of view but I truly wish to (finally) begin the DW series in English.

I own a ebook reader but Waterstones or others online bookshop states "Unfortunately, we can only sell eBooks to customers within the UK and Ireland. This is due to restrictions put in place by the publishers of the eBooks. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. "

Do you have any ideas how to find a legal epub version of the first five books of the DW ?

Thanks alot.
Virgo

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Welcome to the site.

have you perhaps tried amazon.fr?
LilMaibe

Postby Virgo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Unfortunately, Amazon is very proud of its Kindle and I need a epub format.

Thanks for the advice.
Virgo

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Oh, didn't know there's a difference (I prefer paperbacks for all my books. Easier to throw when they turn out to be bad)

Well, you should be able to find someone on here that can help :) Why don't you, in the mean time, hop over into the introduction thread and say hello?
Last edited by LilMaibe on Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Virgo and welcome to the site. :D

I'm afraid I have no other suggestions than LilMaibe's one about Amazon France. Let us know if you are successful.

Edit - I just checked Amazon.France and they have The Colour of Magic for Kindle. But I see that it's not a Kindle version you are looking for. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Unfortunately the rules on buying ebooks seem incredibly restrictive - you could try contacting Transworld and ask their advice, :?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Virgo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:Unfortunately the rules on buying ebooks seem incredibly restrictive - you could try contacting Transworld and ask their advice, :?

Great idea. Btw Transworld looks to allow me to buy. I've just sent a email to them. :D
"What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.
Virgo

Postby SpyViolette » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:40 pm

I find them pretty cheap on eBay, and sometimes I get them from Powell's.
"You know how to pray, don't you? You just put your hands together and hope."
SpyViolette

Postby Virgo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:20 pm

FYI booksattransworld.co.uk does not currently offer ebook downloads to overseas customers.

Here are some links :

iBooks (If you have a I(something)): http://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/terry ... 9265?mt=11

Kobo (epub) : http://www.kobobooks.com/search/search. ... +pratchett

Amazon (If you have a Kindle): http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?ref_=n ... &y=20&rd=1

So by now, Kobo looks to be the only one that fits my needs.

BTW I found https://www.worldofbooks.com/catalogsea ... =pratchett for those who don't care to have a second-hand book. I have written an email to ask about the shipping cost for 10-15 books ... and still no answer.
"What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.
Virgo

Postby meerkat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Charity shops are great! :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby RJH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:03 pm

For those looking for a rare book there is this: http://www.lookoutmountainbookstore.com ... 1e6d58cb88
RJH

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels