The 2011 Irish Discworld Convention

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Wot Jan said! :lol: :wink:

I wanted to go to the auction cos it sounded interesting and I knew I couldn't afford anything anyway...until the Rincewind and Nanny Ogg stamps came up and yay, I won. 11 euros.

I can not be a closet stamp collector cos I do not have a closet! I wish I could have brought the whole stamp sheet signed by Terry and David Jason. Hey ho! There is always next time!

And next time I will be ready! Simples!
Last edited by meerkat on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:57 pm

It's one of those indescribable things that need to be experienced RJH. :D On paper I should hate it - I have real difficulties in coping with large numbers of people around (really conversationally I'm hard put to cope with more than 2 people at a time and is one of the reasons why I'm never going to be able to do a 'people-facing' job ever again) and I tend to get panic attacks just going around a supermarket so Birmingham last year had a couple of moments where I had to led off to a gin and tonic away from masses of people laughing and talking. :roll:

The cost of attending a con is off-putting I know (especially if you're a group) but even if you just want to do some shopping it's probably worth a day ticket as they have all kinds of things you'd never see in the one place and if you have one taking place near to you and the programme's up well in advance you can cherry pick your days maybe to get into some of the more attractive events. For things like the klatchs you probably do need to be there for the duration to have a chance of getting on one of your 1st or 2nd choice as competition is really full on, especially for Terry's of course and if you want things signed (well, stamped now) then really I think the conventions will be the only game in town from now on.

For me it's a package of things that's the attraction but meeting up with forum friends is right at the top of the list :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:26 pm

OK - Photos are up HERE
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby RJH » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:31 pm

Awesome 8)
RJH

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:06 am

Love 'em! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:13 am

Good ones Jan. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:58 am

Nice pictures, Jano :D
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

Postby meerkat » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Better than mine, Jan! Lovely. Me looking gormless as usual! :lol:
meerkat

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Don't forget you took several of those Meerkat :wink:

I have around 25% more but my flash was 'selective' so those are just the ones that I managed to tweak into some semblance of clarity/presentability and the others will remain on the cutting room floor as 'twere :roll: :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm really wishing I could've been there. Judging from the photos, I could probably have done with an extra week, as well, to explore Ennistymon and the local scenery. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Lots of lovely walking there for those who like that kind of thing - it's close to where they filmed Ryan's Daughter and Father Ted too and you can get boat trips to the islands for the seabirds and also the world famous Cliffs of Moher (the Grand Canyon by the sea :wink: ). It's in the cachement for the Burren and Lahinch (world famous golf course) to those who know the locale :)

The hotel's wonderful - comfortable and good value with excellent cuisine (Thai - best I've ever tasted and trad Irish - breakfast is to die for :D ) and I may even bring the housemate with me next time for a longer stopover with car hire perhaps as the contryside's so lovely
Jan Van Quirm

Postby meerkat » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Don't forget you took several of those Meerkat :wink:

:shock: er, I don;t remember! :shock:
meerkat

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:03 pm

You did at least 2 - the Ysabell one and me threatening the Bone Rat :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby meerkat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:47 am

oh, yes, faint rememberance! :lol: I remember the Ysabell one now!

Was it really a week ago? :shock:
meerkat

Previous

Return to Terry Pratchett