Eragon series

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Eragon series

Postby TwoShotTino » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Has anyone here read the Eragon series of books by Christopher Paolini? I had an e-mail the other day telling me about the release of the final chapter (Inheritance) and thought they may be worth a read.

I've seen the film Eragon and quite enjoyed it. Are the books as good or as is normally the trend better?
TwoShotTino

Postby pip » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:47 pm

possibly a useless reply but i'm curious as well. I enjoyed the film and i've eyed the books up several times but haven't taken the plunge.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:23 pm

I have read the first book, but wasn't too impressed. The story was very similar to Star Wars (Which I don't like :P)
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tiffany » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:39 pm

I enjoyed the film, but didn't know there were books.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Re: Eragon series

Postby michelanCello » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:16 pm

TwoShotTino wrote:Has anyone here read the Eragon series of books by Christopher Paolini? I had an e-mail the other day telling me about the release of the final chapter (Inheritance) and thought they may be worth a read.

I've seen the film Eragon and quite enjoyed it. Are the books as good or as is normally the trend better?

...shot in Hungary :wink:

I've read the first two books, but it wasn't that catchy to make me read the third one, too... Funny you should bring up this topic, though - I just saw the 4th book in the shop today :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby chris.ph » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:27 pm

ive got the three they arent brilliant but they are worth a look, the author was only about 14 when the first was released and his parents own the publishers, no nepotism there then :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby author3 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:43 pm

I started reading the 2nd one today in school i think it's pretty good so far :)
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby MoonJewel » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:48 pm

I listed to the audio books because I couldn't bring myself to actually read them. I did not enjoy them (and I tend to be a person who really enjoys listening to audio books so it wasn't that). I've read many people enjoying the basic story even though there was a lot they disliked... it seems to be a serious "your mileage may vary" situation. Some people love them, some hate them... That being said, I'm sure someone else will come on this thread and gush about how much they loved them and that they were the best books out there... So, if you like books that you can turn your brain off and just enjoy from a shallow point of view, you might like them. If you tend to overthink things and get worried when the protagonist kills innocent people, you might find them not as enjoyable.
MoonJewel

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 am

I just watched the film. :) I picked up the 1st one cheap but thave not read it.

He was A GOH at this years Fantasycon in Brighton.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby PyscoFalcon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:33 am

Too much of a rip off of Pern series and a few others that stopped me reading first book and sent it back to libery. Evern watching the film had me gnashing my teeth :lol:
Love me - Love my pets
PyscoFalcon

Postby pip » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Signed special edition of final book as follows, one of the sites i subscribe too have it available -

Costs about £45 but is a very limited run .
Not interested myself but for those who are.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby TwoShotTino » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:43 am

pip wrote:Signed special edition of final book as follows, one of the sites i subscribe too have it available -

Costs about £45 but is a very limited run .
Not interested myself but for those who are.

Do you have a link? I have an old friend who may be interested. She kind of collects signed editions, or at least she used to
TwoShotTino

Postby author3 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:22 pm

I saw the 2nd 3rd and 4th one in the bookshop yesterday but they didn't have the first one :(
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Tiffany » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:09 pm

PyscoFalcon wrote:Too much of a rip off of Pern series and a few others that stopped me reading first book and sent it back to libery. Evern watching the film had me gnashing my teeth :lol:

Yes, the film was a bit, but I still enjoyed it, :) considering we are STILL waiting for a Pern film. :(
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:44 pm

i got inheritance for 8 quid in asda today
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books