Vetinari

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Vetinari

Postby alicenanjing » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm

I was thinking... Vetinari must be getting on. Knowing him, he can't possibly leave something so important as the choosing of his successor to the whim of the Guilds or to chance. Therefore, he must already have his eye on a likely candidate; come to think of it, he is probably training him for the job as we speak. So... who is it?
Carrot is the obvious choice, but anything that obvious must be violating any number of narrative causality laws - the Million-to One-Chance Axiom, for one. Besides, there's no way he would accept the job, except maybe during some fearsome crisis, if the city was in dire need of his leadership, and then only for the duration of the emergency. Sam Vimes is out of the question. Someone like the enterprising Mr. Dibbler might appeal to the merchant mentalities of that great city's luminaries, but no. A grimmer candidate would be King Henry; but that would take us a little too close to the real world... Then, who shall it be?
Moist von Lipwig shows some promise. So does Ponder Stibbons, but I doubt he can be enticed away from his High Energy Magic Building. He might be interested in running the University some day, but not the city. Too much non-magical interference there.
But it wouldn't be much of a story if someone like me could guess the answer to this question, now would it? So, if this book is ever written... let's hope it will be... it will probably be someone new, someone that will make his - or her - appearance in some totally unrelated context and will surprise all of us in the end. Can't wait!
alicenanjing

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Hello and welcome to the site.

Some theories have it that Vetinari is preparing the city to work on its own without someone on top.
Or at least with someone on top who'll never face the need to change something (in theory)
If that'd be the case maybe the likeliest candidate might be someone who he can trust in won't change anything.
Perhaps?
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Welcome to the site. :D

This is a perennial question, so I'll give my usual answer.

Why on the Disc would Terry ever get rid of Vetinari? It makes no sense at all to me that he would lose such a great character.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby michelanCello » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Welcome, alicenanjing! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Welcome to the forum alicenanjing, I can't see that happening anytime soon. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Hellooo and welcome Alice. Likewise, I can't see it happening either. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Vetinari rocks and rules - he'll stay there until Terry stops writing and then A-M will become a City Republic (in the style of Florence more than Athens) and run on roughly democratic lines which is the logical progression for guild-based governments :wink:

Barring that it could be someone like Harry King who knows how the keep the city clear of too much crap or at least keep it moving... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby alicenanjing » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Yes, yes, there's no reason whatsoever to get rid of Vetinari, he's a delight to watch, but just think about watching him watch - and subtly guide - someone else. Train his pupil from a distance. And, of course, for best results, the pupil should not suspect that he is trained, or that he is someone's pupil at all, and certainly have no inkling about what he is trained for. In order for him to assume his duties with all his heart later on, he must be absolutely convinced that it is all his own idea. This kind of training could take years - nay, decades....
Thank you all for your replies. It's so much fun to be able to discuss things like that.
alicenanjing

Postby meerkat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi Alice, welcome to the site!

Vetinari should go on and on until Terry stops writing. A-M would not be A-M without Vetinari.

Vedi Veci Vetinari!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby SpyViolette » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:39 am

I support the theory that, if by some tragic injustice in the multiverse Veterinari actually were to die, Lipwig would be the most likely successor. I just think he's the best one for the job besides Vetinari himself, and the Patrician probably sees that as well.
"You know how to pray, don't you? You just put your hands together and hope."
SpyViolette

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:27 am

Moist, though, got 'bored' on his job when things were going well. (See Making Money).
LilMaibe

Postby SpyViolette » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:49 am

Yes, but that's why I think ruling the city would be a good job for him; it would rarely be boring.
"You know how to pray, don't you? You just put your hands together and hope."
SpyViolette

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:00 am

Unless of course Vetinari would model the city so it can stand on its own, but then putting Moist in as successor would be a recipe for disaster (possibly)
Mhnnn *rubs chin*
LilMaibe

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:27 pm

City Ordnances? Inna bun? :wink:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby MongoGutman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Next

Return to Discworld novels