The Light Fantastic 1st Edition?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Light Fantastic 1st Edition?

Postby Cosmonaught » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:01 pm

I recently picked-up a copy of The Light Fantastic that I think may be a first edition/first printing. I've been digging online, trying to figure out everything I need to identify it (Colin Smythe site, descriptions from booksellers, etc), but am still a bit confused... Here's what I've noted so far--

- Dusk Jacket looks right, book is blue with gold lettering on the spine (I believe, need to double-check that).
    - Book is ~218 pages with some blanks at the end (I think the last numbered page was 217? Don't have it in front of me).
    - Title page states has the Colin Smythe imprint and states "COLIN SMYTHE Gerrards Cross 1986"
    - Copyright page states "Copyright 1986 [...] First published in 1986 by Colin Smythe Limited Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire [...] Printed in Great Britain Printed and bound by Billing & Sons Limited Worcester"
    - Dust Jacket lists similar printing information, ISBN is listed as 0-86140-203-0
    -I don't see a price anywhere on the book.
    -Condition is really, really good, but pages have browned a bit, so this does look like it's from 1986.

Is there anything else I should look for? Obviously excited if this is really a first edition, but I'm kind of assuming I'm going to find something amiss... I have pictures if it would help.

Thanks!
Cosmonaught

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:53 pm

Sounds promising - great find! :D

Welcome to the site, Cosmonaught!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:32 am

Sounds like you have found a 1st edition IF the title and spine on the Dust Jacket are are printed in RED with Terry's name in Blue , very good find. :) all other details are correct as you have stated.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cosmonaught » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 am

Thanks for the welcome! I'll be honest-- Terry Pratchett has always been on my list, but I've only ever read one of his books (Moving Pictures)... I have a feeling this find will finally push me over the edge...

Red for the title and blue for Terry's name on the dust jacket spine, and gold for all of the printing on the book's spine, so I think that sounds good.

And just in case anyone thinks I'm overly lucky, I should clear up-- I didn't find this in the back of a bookshelf, or hidden in a box. I did buy this at a bookstore and spent more on it than I'd usually feel comfortable spending on a book. If it's the real deal, I think I got an absolute steal (and not based on what I assume are ridiculously over inflated prices on rare bookseller sites). But... if not... Well, I spent enough that I'd be at least a bit disappointed.
Cosmonaught

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Welcome to the forum,Cosmonaught. :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm listening to the unabridged audio book at the moment by coincidence, :lol: the book is one of my favorites, and I forgot to say welcome to the forum. :)

If you don't mind me asking what was the price paid for it. :?: it's worth over two 000 last time I heard.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cosmonaught » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:47 pm

I paid $200 US for it which is way more than I've ever spent (or ever thought I would spend) on a book... But, it's in really, really great condition (Unread, I think. Pages are starting to brown, but otherwise, I think it's kind of perfect).

When you say "two 000" do you mean 200 or 2000, and are you talking dollars or pounds? I had seen prices around the upper-end of that on the web, but had assumed they were super, super (super) inflated, and didn't ever really sell around there. Regardless, even if it's $200, I'm content. Really, really cool to have, and will finally get me reading Pratchett. I was just worried I was going to hear something along the lines of "Oh... that? Book Club Edition from 1989, you can tell because of XYZ, that's worthless!"

On another note-- It looks like this has been covered ad nasuem, but... where should I start on Discworld? I was thinking Mort and running through the Death books, sounds like fun, but, open to suggestions.
Cosmonaught

Postby Penfold » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Hellooo and welcome Cosmonaught. :D

I know very little to nothing about first editions, but if you intend reading "The Light Fantastic" then I would definitely recommend reading "The Colour of Magic" first. Not only because it is the first book in the DW series, but Light Fantastic directly follows and is really the concluding episode of the same story - to my mind the only books in the series that really have to be read together.

After that, its really up to you but I'm of the opinion that the series should be read in order so you can see how Sir Terry and DW develop with each book. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Cosmonaught » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks! I probably won't be reading this specific copy of the Light Fantastic, so I don't necessarily need to start there (or "The Colour of Magic" on into it), but I would *like* to read it, since I do own it. I've just seen a lot of warnings around not starting with the "The Colour of Magic" and reading in order-- comments around lack of plot, it having a different style from the rest of DW, etc... To me, its hard to imagine trying to keep the continuity straight without reading them in order, but then again I enjoyed the one I did read ("Moving Pictures") plenty, without having any context.
Cosmonaught

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:19 pm

I meant thousands in UK £'s it was a few years ago it was about two and a half.

I would start with COM 1st then LF it's also one of my favorites that was the book that got me into reading the Discworld unfortunatley I put the 1st edition back on the shelf because it had a tiny tear in the bottom of the dust Jacket.,BUGGER. :lol: Good price that was a good find. :)
Who's Wee Dug

Re: The Light Fantastic 1st Edition?

Postby silentbob37 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:44 am

I just picked this book up at a goodwill thrift shop for 9¢ usd
silentbob37

Return to Discworld novels