Comparatively Fantastic! Our favourite authors

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
So first because he's the one I've read longest - Tom Sharpe. Too sharp sometimes - I was actually physically nauseated by The Throwback (condoms, scouring powder and cheesegraters.... :shock: ) - but the South African novels and of course the Henry Wilt series are brilliant books that satirise some of the truly nastier social mores of modern times. :P

Has he written anything since "The Midden"? That's the last book of his I've seen in the U.S., and that was ages ago. I wish he were more prolific.
raisindot

Postby pip » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Julian Barnes has produced some wonderful books . Read Arthur and George earlier this year and its absolutely fantastic.
:D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:44 pm

He's actually more active than I thought Jeff - I knew there was another Wilt book out recently but there's 2 more I haven't read (last one I read was Wilt on High) but he's written other stuff in between - here's his wiki entry so you can check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sharpe :wink:

Have you read England, England and Metroland Pip - they're pretty good fun to read but with underlying caustic commentary :lol: Talking it over was quite good as well :)
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby pip » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:01 pm

cool. I'll keep an eye out :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby SpyViolette » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:32 am

Oh, there are quite a few. Let's see, besides Pratchett of course, my top three favorite authors are:
- Markus Zusak (The Book Thief is one of my favorite books ever.)
- Maggie Estep (Not very well known, but she wrote an amazing book called Diary of an Emotional Idiot.)
- Sarah Waters (for all things lesbian romance...)

And that's not even counting my favorite poets.
"You know how to pray, don't you? You just put your hands together and hope."
SpyViolette

Postby pip » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:22 am

Markus Zusak's The Book Thief is brilliant one of the better books i've read.
I bought another of his I Am the Messenger a few months back but still haven't got around to mit.

Jan picked up Metroland by Julian Barnes . Nice crisp first edition :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby SpyViolette » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:24 am

I also have I Am the Messenger and I've been meaning to read it, but I got a bit distracted by Discworld...
"You know how to pray, don't you? You just put your hands together and hope."
SpyViolette

Postby Antiq » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Authors I'm currently loving to bits - apart from Sir Terry (lovelovelove) -

Kazuo Ishiguro
- started reading him ages ago, love his "watercolour" style of writing.
China Mieville - Such extraordinary originality, something that's hard to find these days. The Iron Council is stunning, The City and the City mind-bending.
Iain M Banks - the sci-fi books. Best science fiction book I have ever read to date is The Algebraist. The Player of Games and Feersum Endjin follow closely.
Edward Rutherfurd - he writes historical novels about places - hugely entertaining and epic. Sarum, Russka, New York, London, Dubin, Ireland-The Awakening etc.
Tracy Chevalier - she wrote Girl With a pearl Earring, and I have like all of her books so far.

There are many more authors I love, but this list could go on...and on... :lol:
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Danny B » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Have you read China Miéville's Embassytown yet, Antiq? Amazing.

I'm with Antiq on including Iain (M.) Banks and China Miéville amongst my favourite authors, but I'll also add the following.

Donald E. Westlake (including his alias of Richard Stark): An incredible crime writer, able to shift effortlessly between light and frothy capers, pitch black and violent noir and slick contemporary fiction.
Christopher Fowler One of my absolute favourites. Whether he's writing weird urban horror stories, dark fantasies or dense mysteries, he's always top quality.
Clive Barker Is he horror writer or a fantasy writer? It's hard to tell where one begins and the other ends, but his writing is always magical, hypnotic and beautiful.
Robert Holdstock Arguably the most important British fantasy writer of the 20th century, for my money.
Ursula K. Le Guin She hasn't written anything I didn't love to bits. Even her lesser works have a grace in the prose and a fierce intellect behind them that most SF or fantasy writers can't match.
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby Antiq » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Danny B wrote:Have you read China Miéville's Embassytown yet, Antiq? Amazing.

No, I haven't!! Another for my "to read" list :D
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books