Snuff Kindle eBook warning

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby RJH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Well I have the British version on the Kindle and have not seen any of theses errors, seems there is also a difference between UK and US version on the ereader as well.
RJH

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Del.

They now do a Kindle without keyboard for about £89. Don't know if available in Oz though.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Keyboard??????

They have started a push on them here. Selling them in Woolworths (supermarket) $126 or something. Money is tight right now or I would have one in my grubby hands this very minute with Snuff on it :lol:

Something to look forward to.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:40 pm

deldaisy wrote:Welcome to the site Vornaskotti

I held a Kindle this week.... thought they were going to make my BUY it cause I drooled so much over it. :lol:

OMG My little girl would gain so much from one..... noone told me they had "references" (meanings of words, historical references, etc) in the books. How wonderful for an AVID reader with a learning disability.

Is that for all the books on them or just certain ones like you get notes in the penguin classics and school editions?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby deldaisy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:56 pm

I have no idea Jimmy.

I was looking at one on demo at Woolworths last week and the book they had up was a novel based on historial figures (can't remember the name of it). But when I was trying it out you could click on any word and click and it would give a dictionary or theasaurus meaning for that word. When I clicked on King Charles (or some king) it came up with a general description of who he was, birth/death etc.

It wasn't a childrens novel.

Do they all not do this?
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Vornaskotti » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:56 am

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:Is that for all the books on them or just certain ones like you get notes in the penguin classics and school editions?

Kindles have Oxford Dictionary of English and The New Oxford American Dictionary built in, and you can choose one of them as the default. They work with any text you read on the device - if there's a word you want to look up, you'll just click the cursor to the beginning of the word, and a small pop-up shows you a quick preview of the entry. If you want detailed info, you can open the full dictionary entry with one keystroke.

This came to me as a total surprise and it's one of the features I love the most on Kindles. My English is pretty fluent, up to the point that my vocabulary had stagnated - I understood most words by the context and never bothered to look them up. For the first time in years my English vocabulary is actually expanding since I tend to look up all the words I'm not absolutely sure about.

--
Diver, gamer, geocacher, book geek, theremin player and a recovering hobbyholic
http://blog.vornaskotti.com/
Last edited by Vornaskotti on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vornaskotti

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:57 am

Yay! Another Kindle fan!

Welcome to the site.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:19 am

Might treat myself to one soonish as it appears I can get £50 off the price. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Might treat myself to one soonish as it appears I can get £50 off the price. :)
£50 and your soul, Dug! :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Has Dug any soul left :wink:
Still don't see the appeal and can't understand any of the arguments for em.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:41 pm

It's on my boot Pip my sole that is, my other one is in the freezer till I get the chips. The 3rd soul is just not for sale at any price. :wink: .

Or I may wait for the new Amazon Fire tablet and one would be convienent on journeys I could take a 700/800 page book with me or if this little bit of artheritis in my hands gets worse it would be a boon. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby RJH » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:01 pm

pip wrote:Has Dug any soul left :wink:

My argument, is it allows me to add books to my collection and keep them in perfect condition as I can read the novels on the Kindle :wink:
RJH

Postby pip » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:16 am

RJH wrote:

My argument, is it allows me to add books to my collection and keep them in perfect condition as I can read the novels on the Kindle :wink:

Gloves and a feather to turn the pages would do as well :wink:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby RJH » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:13 am

pip wrote:
RJH wrote:

but what about creases to the spines for paperbacks etc :P
RJH

Postby pip » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:16 am

RJH wrote:
pip wrote:
RJH wrote:

but what about creases to the spines for paperbacks etc :P

Why buy paperbacks :shock:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books