Snuff

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby BaldFriede » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:48 pm

pip wrote:
BaldFriede wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Angua's not a lesbian, and Sally never showed any inclination as far as I could tell. So any hopes of a relationship between them seems pretty ridiculous. You might as well be hoping for the sparks to fly between Colon and Nobby :roll:

There were on the contrary a lot of indicators. The most basic one is the way the relationship between Angua and Sally is being portrayed. As Jean already pointed out, it is extremely reminiscent of the relationships between the male and the female lead in many Hollywood movies; she named "African Queen" and "Two Mules for Sister Sara" as examples. Maybe you have to be lesbian to feel it, but I notice a lot of sexual tension between Angua and Sally, and not because of them warring over Carrot.

As Terry isn't a Lesbian i can't imagine he would be capable of putting in subtle signals only Lesbians can pick up on :roll:

I agree with you partially, but only partially. Pratchett did not put in the hints consciously. But there are a few. Remember the moment when Sally tells her shoe-size, for example?
BaldFriede

Postby pip » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Not got the book to hand sadly. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Turtles4Ever » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:45 pm

Why do we have two threads on Snuff? :)

As for the book - not impressed I'm afraid, with Terry's 'new' style of narrative or the story itself.

Very sad, and I consider myself a major fan of most of his wonderful books.
Turtles4Ever

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:02 pm

This one started before the book came out and technically should still be safe for people who haven't read it. The other is a spoilery one for people who have read it, or don't care about spoilers. :)
Last edited by DaveC on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby stripy_tie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 am

Pratchett, a straight man is somehow unknowingly writing a kind of subtext into his characters that only gay females can see and interpret?
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:01 am

stripy_tie wrote:Pratchett, a straight man is somehow unknowingly writing a kind of subtext into his characters that only gay females can see and interpret?

Can and only they may, as what Fried said.
LilMaibe

Postby pip » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:12 am

Maybe Pratchett is channeling the spirit of a dead lesbian. There was a woman on Irish TV at the weekend who was channeling George Bernard Shaw and John Lennon.
Oddly enough the poem and song she wrote were crap so the lads have lost it in heaven.
:lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 am

*snort*

:lol: :lol: :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:55 am

BTW, I've seen the Hollywood movies referred to, and Angua and Sally's relationship is in no way similar to these. It's more like Tango and Cash, but with added insecurities.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 am

I was going for Turner and Hooch but hey :wink:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 am

Dotsie wrote:BTW, I've seen the Hollywood movies referred to, and Angua and Sally's relationship is in no way similar to these. It's more like Tango and Cash, but with added insecurities.
I was thinking of that one when I made my example, just escaped my head...
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:21 am

I completely missed the almost identical discussion going on elsewhere :roll:
Dotsie

Snuff

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:27 am

Snuff was very good. Incredibly moving. No wonder Vimes is angry all the time. Willikins, a killing machine with a serving tray, 'Ice pick Sir?' His evolution has come at last. I think my new favourite heavy after Mr Pin.

Will definitely give it another read soon. Every new TP novel is a precious thing.

If there's a gay element it's gotta be Carrot's eternal man-crush on Vimes hasn't it?
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby cabbagehead » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:28 am

If there's a gay element it's gotta be Carrot's eternal man-crush on Vimes hasn't it?

Maybe not completely unrequited. Vimes has occasional thoughts about how wonderful Carrot is.
cabbagehead

unrequited

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:23 pm

^ Ha!

Hello dear Cabbagehead Btw.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books