Snuff

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby RJH » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Twilight sold well too.
And for our german reasons an addition:
'Feuchtgebiete' sold incredible well too, too

(Why yes, I just compared a Discworldnovel to Twilight. AGAIN)

Twilight...shudders, still hate that damn series but that is a argument for another day :lol: :wink:
RJH

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:20 pm

RJH wrote:

Twilight...shudders, still hate that damn series but that is a argument for another day :lol: :wink:

Naw, actually isn't. I doubt you can find a single person on this board here that would say Twilight's anywhere near good, left alone equal with any of Mr Pratchett's books, no matter which they deem his worst work.
LilMaibe

Postby Quatermass » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:55 pm

LilMaibe wrote:
RJH wrote:

Naw, actually isn't. I doubt you can find a single person on this board here that would say Twilight's anywhere near good, left alone equal with any of Mr Pratchett's books, no matter which they deem his worst work.

Twilight wasn't abysmal as much as mediocre. I'd suggest that at the very least, it is the equal in entertainment value of Eric.

(Lit the blue touch paper, and now I'm runnin' like hell)
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Australis » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:12 am

Twilight? Hell, I reckon the Tiffany books are much better than Harry Potter!

There! I said it, and stand by it!
I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of Heaven - Sir Pterry
Australis

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:19 am

Australis wrote:Twilight? Hell, I reckon the Tiffany books are much better than Harry Potter!

I agree. The Potter books were good, but they didn't have the depth of the Tiffany books. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:23 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Australis wrote:Twilight? Hell, I reckon the Tiffany books are much better than Harry Potter!

I agree. The Potter books were good, but they didn't have the depth of the Tiffany books. :)

YMMV.
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby meerkat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:07 am

They are totally different variations of magic books.

They stand together as excellent books. But Terry will have to go some to beat the Deathly Hallows books.

:evil:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby RJH » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:00 pm

meerkat wrote:They are totally different variations of magic books.

They stand together as excellent books. But Terry will have to go some to beat the Deathly Hallows books.

:evil:

He did Equal rites :twisted:
RJH

Postby meerkat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Yes, maybe, but Equal Rites isn't Hermione and the Deathly Hallows , is it? :evil: Plus it ER isn't up to the same standard.

Like I said they are stand alone in thier own rights.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby mspanners » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Well I just got round to snuff and all I can say us yippy! Terry has got back to doing what he does best, write a cracking book full of action , adventure and intregue. One of my top 5 books in the series. Who else can get away with writeing about slavery and genocide within a comic adventure detective frame! Pure genious...
mspanners

Postby BaldJean » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:48 pm

I was actually a bit disappointed by "Snuff". Yes, his Viimesness and Lady Sybyl are in top form, but I had hoped it would be a watch book, and though the watch appears in it it plays a minor role. I love the social interactions of the watch, and I was still having secret hopes of Angua and Salacia becoming a lesbian couple, although an odd one.. Their relationship in "Thud!" reminded me a lot of odd couples from Hollywood movies, like for example Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn in "African Queen" or Clint Eastwood and Shirley MacLane in "Two Mules for Sister Sara". Ah well!
BaldJean

The gay discworld

Postby AgProv » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:37 am

hi BaldJean!

You may be interested in a few notes I scribbled on the topc of the gay subculture on the Discworld; you may be moved to add to or comment on them?

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Book_Discussion:Snuff/Annotations

I was interested too in the thought that Terry might be throwing a small rock into Angua and Carrot's generally tranquil pool by introducing Sally, a woman who seems to be attracted to both of them... I have a shrewd idea that in contriving a scene where Angua and Sally are naked in a lot of mud and on the point of a fight might well be the author's wry comment on all the people who contrive such scenes, and take them further, in slash fic...[/quote]
Used to be too clever by half, but by virtue of consistent drinking, now only too clever by about a quarter. Banned from all BBC messageboards for being too much of an "uncceptable editorial risk".
AgProv

Postby Dotsie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Angua's not a lesbian, and Sally never showed any inclination as far as I could tell. So any hopes of a relationship between them seems pretty ridiculous. You might as well be hoping for the sparks to fly between Colon and Nobby :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby BaldFriede » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Dotsie wrote:Angua's not a lesbian, and Sally never showed any inclination as far as I could tell. So any hopes of a relationship between them seems pretty ridiculous. You might as well be hoping for the sparks to fly between Colon and Nobby :roll:

There were on the contrary a lot of indicators. The most basic one is the way the relationship between Angua and Sally is being portrayed. As Jean already pointed out, it is extremely reminiscent of the relationships between the male and the female lead in many Hollywood movies; she named "African Queen" and "Two Mules for Sister Sara" as examples. Maybe you have to be lesbian to feel it, but I notice a lot of sexual tension between Angua and Sally, and not because of them warring over Carrot.
BaldFriede

Postby pip » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:33 pm

BaldFriede wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Angua's not a lesbian, and Sally never showed any inclination as far as I could tell. So any hopes of a relationship between them seems pretty ridiculous. You might as well be hoping for the sparks to fly between Colon and Nobby :roll:

There were on the contrary a lot of indicators. The most basic one is the way the relationship between Angua and Sally is being portrayed. As Jean already pointed out, it is extremely reminiscent of the relationships between the male and the female lead in many Hollywood movies; she named "African Queen" and "Two Mules for Sister Sara" as examples. Maybe you have to be lesbian to feel it, but I notice a lot of sexual tension between Angua and Sally, and not because of them warring over Carrot.

As Terry isn't a Lesbian i can't imagine he would be capable of putting in subtle signals only Lesbians can pick up on :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books